hello to all you vc50 users and vh100r users (exactly same amp just not a combo) I was looking to sell my dsl401 and pick up this amp cheap off ebay. Now i know its a bright amp, and wonder if it could do clips such as these demonstrated by the gh100ti head http://lsd-tonstudio.de/sonstiges/Laneytest-dark.mp3 but with possible slightly more low end. And could the brightness be counterested by either using the panaramic eqs on the amp or by maybe buying a really cheap EQ pedal like a "fish n chips"? From what i can gather the clean channel is second to none, except maybe a fender twin. And the OD channel is smooth and rich, so could easily handle gary moore type sounds, santana and eric johnson tones. So just wondering what your general concensus on the vc50 is, and would i need to change it to 6l6s or el34 (34s supposidly better for less brightness) and possible a speaker change or would the HH speakers be ok. They are supposidly hybrids between the g12 and v30s and were specifically designed for the amp.

Anyway cheers guys just hope you could give me some info on the amp, and general feedback before i start selling stuff
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
I've got the VH100R. At first I had a problem with the Brightness but after fiddling around with the amp controls I got it a little darker by keeping the presence and treble pretty low. Its tubed with 6L6s though so that may contribute to the brightness The Clean channel on the other hand I'm having trouble tweaking. I cant seem to get a "Clean" tone even with the amp volume only on 3. In stead I get this great Zeppelinesque breakup. If I roll off the Volume on my guitar its fine though.

The OD on the clean is essentially the clean channel with less volume so you can crank it and get the same tone as the cranked clean channel. The Second channel is the "distortion channel". So far all I've really gotten out of it is some really nice crunch. Good for rhythm and chord work. The second gain stage on the other hand has a nice smooth sound with gain out you ass. Listen to some older Paul Gilbert if you want a good example.

I've only had it a few weeks but over all I'm happy with it. its a great versatile amp.
Sig What?
Sounds good example of older paul gilbert stuff? And will it sound anything like in that clip of the gh100ti? Furthermore will it be heavy enough to do metallica and megadeth? But I want a big low end really (well for metal ne wayz) like the type where it thumps you in the chest when you palm mute.
I just picked one up off ebay myself, it is an amazing amp for the price (In Australia, a new valveking costs the same as this 2nd hand). If can get some good sounds out of it with the bass at around 8 or so, presence at like 2, treble around 5 and mids at 6-7 (Make sure the reconance switch is on aswell). I am playing older heavy metal stuff as well like Metallica and Megadeth and there is plenty of gain for me at about 7-8. I haven't really had much time to EQ it really well, but I'm sure you could get great sounds out it if you spent time looking for one. I currently have EL34's for the crunchy British sound and JJ pre-amp tubes for a bit of extra gain and darker tone.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
i cant afford a peavey but i looked into bugera but people said they are fizzy and have reliability issues. Also i dont know if it would be good for softer and SMOOTHER stuff
Quote by Varkunus
i cant afford a peavey but i looked into bugera but people said they are fizzy and have reliability issues. Also i dont know if it would be good for softer and SMOOTHER stuff

You can't afford a Peavey but you can afford a VH100R?

You know the VH100R costs more right?

Regardless, the VH100R does classic rock better than it does metal. It has one of the better clean channels for amps in it's class.

Check out the lower end ENGL amps and the Mesa/Boogie Rectoverb amplifiers.
im not buying the vh100r it would be the vc50 combo that i would be buying. Its exactly the same amp though, just a combo
Quote by Varkunus
im not buying the vh100r it would be the vc50 combo that i would be buying. Its exactly the same amp though, just a combo

It's not exactly the same. It's similar though.

The VC50 still commands a price if you can even find one used.
one sold on ebay buy it now for £370 and one didnt sell with £250!
Whatever, if you're going to buy it, then do it. You probably won't regret it.
hhhm i duno though
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE

There are other videos of this amp that show it getting pretty heavy. It isn't br00tal distortion, but it gets pretty heavy.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
whats the most brutalllzzz clip someone can find of this amp? And would maybe the tony iommi head be better? Although im guessing the cleans are awful?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You can't afford a Peavey but you can afford a VH100R?

You know the VH100R costs more right?

Regardless, the VH100R does classic rock better than it does metal. It has one of the better clean channels for amps in it's class.

Check out the lower end ENGL amps and the Mesa/Boogie Rectoverb amplifiers.

Actually he's looking at the VC50 to start with. Also in Europe, the 5150 is expensive!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
cheers for backing me up gabel
just to throw the cat among the pigeons- someone on another thread pointed this out yesterday- guitar guitar is selling the laney tt50 head for £429, and the 50 watt 1x12 combo for £479. Might be worth considering (not sure how much postage is, though), that's a pretty good deal, i think. They normally go for at least £100 more than that, if not £200. I've only tried the 100 watt head, i think gabe has tried the 50 watter though- assuming it sounds similar, it'd be definitely worth considering.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/amplification_detail.asp?stock=05080210132819&guitars=21

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/amplification_detail.asp?stock=04091512582228&guitars=21

EDIT: i haven't tried the vc50, but i've tried the vh100r- if you ask me, the TT is much better for those smoother tones you're considering. but the vh probably has the slight edge for the more aggressive, out-and-out metal tones. and has brighter, sparklier cleans (the tt's cleans are still very nice, just warmer and jazzier). i preferred the tt when i tried both, but obviously my own personal preferences for what equals "good tone", and also the styles of music which i mainly play, play a very big part in that- you may prefer the vc50. i just thought i'd mention that the tt was on offer, to give you another option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 3, 2008,
well thanks for the suggestion when i heard clips on youtube it sounded very ... well... crunchy i suppose. Didnt seem as smooth as the vh100r what what i HEARD although obviously you tried both in person. And would the TT do megadeth? And have a big low end?
Yeah the TT will do Megadeth and tight big low end. I actually got a Nu_metal tone out of the TT....

WITH A STRAT!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

definitely do megadeth. to my ears, the tt was more like a hot-rodded marshall, while the vh is more american-sounding. it's a while since i tried one, though. EDIT: can't really remember about the low-end, in other words.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Gabel
Yeah the TT will do Megadeth and tight big low end. I actually got a Nu_metal tone out of the TT....

WITH A STRAT!

More detail, please
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by USCENDONE BENE

More detail, please

Well this was a long time ago and it was kind of a generic tone (I don't play nu-metal and generally don't like the tone, so what I might find nu-metal might not apply to you)

But basically it was channel 3 and something like gain on full, boost, modern and xpand all on. Mids scooped and bass a bit higher than treble.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band