my band wants to start playin some funk music

i was wondering what are some nice funky artists, with sweet bassists

im not looking for some hard basslines, jst something that when i play it people go, 'damn thats funky' sort of stuff

thanks
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Check out freekbass,

he's.......well freaky at bass!!
also bootsy collins and some earlier (80's) chili peppers stuff if you like rock mixed in with your funk

Enjoy funkin'

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
and its always good to see another member of the Australia FTW group get interested in funk!

roscoe's wetsuit
Bootsy Collins music is a good place to start and Flea's pre "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" stuff was pretty funky.
lol AUSTRALIA FTW

btw we play plenty of rhcp stuff so i guess you can say im talkin bout rhcp-esque stuff
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
lol AUSTRALIA FTW

btw we play plenty of rhcp stuff so i guess you can say im talkin bout rhcp-esque stuff

then to you i would suggest the song 'get up and jump' by the chili peppers

roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by sonsie
lol AUSTRALIA FTW

In that case have a look at some of Tim Commerford (I think thats his name) from Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave, he does some rather funky basslines.
I don't want to get this whole thing started, but RHCP isn't "raw funk" by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sorry, I had to say it, it's done.

For some real funk the trinity of funky holiness is: James Brown (Bootsy Collins), Sly and the Family Stone (Larry Graham) and Parliament/Funkadelic (Bootsy Collins). Those three are truly the three funkiest bands to have ever laid foot on this planet. Throw in some Tower of Power (Rocco Prestia) and you have all of the basic funk literature you will ever need to live.
To add to Bales solid list, good lord sonsie, you have one of the best funk combos on the planet in your own backyard! Check out the Bamboos!

And New Orleans gift to funkiness...The Meters.
Glide by Pleasure would be a great song to have. Love playin that.

And, all mentioned bands, especially tower of power for fingerstyle.
Danyel Morgan from Robert Randolph and the Family Band can get damn funky, plus he has the greatest falsetto ever!

But mostly the funky bass playing.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Play the bass line to "brick house" by the Commodores, except slap/pop it. It's easy yet cool.
jazz_rock's list is pretty much the top of the deck for raw funk but I will vouch for Freaky Styley of the RHCP to be pretty damn solid in funk.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

alright guys, thanks for all the input and il check them all out

also my band thinks that rhcp is p-funk and 1 of the best p-funk bands out there, and as much as iv tried 2 convince them theyr not, they wont believe me. and wen i showed them flashlight by parliament funkadelic and they said it was ****

so i think we'r looking for more funk influence rock here
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Well for a more RHCP style funk, try some Rage Against the Machine or Primus
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by sonsie
alright guys, thanks for all the input and il check them all out

also my band thinks that rhcp is p-funk and 1 of the best p-funk bands out there, and as much as iv tried 2 convince them theyr not, they wont believe me. and wen i showed them flashlight by parliament funkadelic and they said it was ****

so i think we'r looking for more funk influence rock here

Guitarist in my band thinks real funk is terrible too, I showed him George Clinton and he said it was horrible, who couldn't like "Do Fries Go with that Shake?"

That said I'd be lying if I said I didn't think RHCP was funk, but seriously Robert Randolph, so great.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Don't forget about the Brothers Johnson!
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Look up the song "The Crunge" by Led Zeppelin. They're not the guys you'd expect to do something funky, but, hey, they did.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.