Page 1 of 2
Do you think people would look down on your playing skill because of the bass you have?
are people this narrow minded?

Eg - comparing two guys would your instincts say that the guy with the rick 4003 would be a better player then the guy with the squire?

I WON'T GET TO GET WHAT I'M AFTER, 'TIL THE DAY I DIE

Quote by ealtdharkon

If there's fluff of the muff,
She's old enough!

...gotta warn you though, witty rhymes do NOT hold up in court...

Yes of course.

Logically, the person with the better bass is a better musician.

Obviously! What a silly question to ask!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
^ this

why do you ask? do you play a squier? hahaha you must completely suck

really though what a silly question
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
^ this

why do you ask? do you play a squier? hahaha you must completely suck

really though what a silly question

i know i posted this without much thought

i apologize

Quote by ealtdharkon

She's old enough!

You'd be a wanker if you did. You should respect fellow musicians reguardless of their equipment. Just cos you might not have a good bass/guitar doesnt mean you cant wipe the floor with some punk kid who is rich and has everything.
Yes, this is the case unfortunately however Ive met a few bassists that laugh at me because of my lack of a 'good' bass, I then ask to have a go at theirs, play something like anaesthesia then walk off

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by oz_bassist
Yes, this is the case unfortunately however Ive met a few bassists that laugh at me because of my lack of a 'good' bass, I then ask to have a go at theirs, play something like anaesthesia then walk off

respect to for your general awesomness there

Quote by ealtdharkon

She's old enough!

Quite the opposite IMO, I was respected more playing when i played my $300 samick than my new $800 Ibanez. Everyone is going see your skill no matter what your playing on (its on only a minor detail), Only an audiophile may have a bitch about your tone. The only reason someone might respect you more for playing a different instrument, is if it enables you to play better (ie lower action)

This is my oppinion
It depends, I mean if someone comes up to me with a BC Rich Warlock for instance I'll have time for them because I'll assume they're some annoying ****ty metal guitarist who wouldn't know quality of make if it bit him in the arse and is therefore **** at guitar full stop.
If someone came to me with an overwater bass ran through an ampeg full stack I'd assume they knew what they were doing.
Is this stereotyping? yes.
In the long run has it always panned out right for me? Yes, also.
Long term bass players are likely to be better than new players. Long term players are also more likely to have invested in better equipment.

On that subconscious logic, I'll admit that without hearing them play, I would put money on the guy with the Rick to be better than the guy with a Squier.

However, I will not judge someone on the gear they play, even though there is some correlation between skill and gear. However, one does not lead to the other.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Long term bass players are likely to be better than new players. Long term players are also more likely to have invested in better equipment.

On that subconscious logic, I'll admit that without hearing them play, I would put money on the guy with the Rick to be better than the guy with a Squier.

However, I will not judge someone on the gear they play, even though there is some correlation between skill and gear. However, one does not lead to the other.

Couldn't have put it better myself :3~
It's not about either of those things. Skill or equiptment, who cares. All you gotta do is look cool. Really kid start thinking with your head.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
I would only look down on someone with a ridiculously crap $28 bass with ancient filthy strings that randomly cuts off at times. Refusing to invest in a passable bass is like an insult.

Squier or better and I will only judge on skill.

The opposite is true also. If someone has an expensive bass but won't take the time to try improve, this pisses me off even more.
Yeah, gear is objective.... the value of the instrument doesn't really mean much (beyond a certain figure, of course), but it's really about the feel of the instrument, and whether it "speaks" to you. I still think that the only instrument at my local GC that speaks to me is the Squier Jaco-bass knockoff. What a cool bass!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Would I expect the guy with the Rickenbacker to be a better player? Yeah, absolutely. The guy with a Ricky has probably been playing longer, because very few beginners start with a Rickenbacker. Would I look down on someone with a Squier? No, that's mental. I just look at playing a cheap instrument as paying your dues in the music world.
practically every indie bass player under the sun (huge generalisation here) uses a rick and we all know that they aren't the best bassist's in the world. the cheapest 4003 i've seen is £999

then we'll take some half decent bassist like say jaco pastorious who used a fender jazz bass which would have cost him £800 ish now

ergo better equipment doesn't always mean better
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
practically every indie bass player under the sun (huge generalisation here) uses a rick and we all know that they aren't the best bassist's in the world. the cheapest 4003 i've seen is £999

then we'll take some half decent bassist like say jaco pastorious who used a fender jazz bass which would have cost him £800 ish now

ergo better equipment doesn't always mean better

I definitely agree. With some indie bands I listen to, a lot of the players blew €2000 on gear within the first year of forming the band, with very little experience of their instruments beforehand.

Indie almost depends on the use of nice gear over playing ability.
Personally its all down to how they play, If I saw someone with a Rick just playing roots i'd be disappointed but I'd respect them all the same.

I play a fairly rubbish bass as they go but I'm waiting until either my band gets more popular or when I feel ready to move up into the world of getting a better bass. Even if I had £800 I wouldn't go out and buy a Warwick Corvette although its one of my dream bass' I'd only buy it when I felt ready! I respect all bassists no matter what they play on, and even if there not very good because y'no, if you look down on them it kinda reflects your own ability and shows that your a bit of a fag really.

I've rambled a bit in this post, sorry guys!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I guess that's always going to happen.
But when you see an amazing bass player pick up an $80 bass, and play a kick-ass riff on it, makes very little difference.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Quote by BrickIsRed
I definitely agree. With some indie bands I listen to, a lot of the players blew €2000 on gear within the first year of forming the band, with very little experience of their instruments beforehand.

Indie almost depends on the use of nice gear over playing ability.

It's sad that indie music has come to this, the new "indie" scene is depressing .
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
It's sad that indie music has come to this, the new "indie" scene is depressing .

Indie used to be jumpy cool music but I guess its fused with other styles and stabbed itself in the back.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Metfan1991
I guess that's always going to happen.
But when you see an amazing bass player pick up an $80 bass, and play a kick-ass riff on it, makes very little difference.

I've seen a couple of amazing bass players pick up a piece of crap bass, and well, no, it makes a lot of difference. Very cheap basses just cannot make pleasant sounds no matter how good the player.
I think TS is sort of on the right track, the better instrument should belong to the better musician, but alas at a battle of the bands I was playing at, some pop-punk rich kid had a sting ray and you couldn't even hear him, while I only have the Ibanez.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I would assume that the person is not as good a musician, does that mean I look down on him, no. You'd have to be pretty fvcking insecure about your playing abilities to assume that the guy with the Rick is a bad player.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Sometimes it's not what you expect.

When i did a solo on my fender people used to say: "Wow, great solo, you're a pretty decent bassist" (depending on whether the solo sucked or not of course)

Now, when I solo on my new rick, it becomes: "woh, nice bass, i love that rickenbacker tone, you must feel so lucky to own one."

Not that i'd give up my beautiful bass for the world, but everything has a downside...
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
This'll sound a bit stupid, but yea, I kinda do. I mean I'm just naturally inclined to think at first glance that a person with the more expensive bass would probably have been playing longer, and be better, to invest in it. Though I do know some bratty kids that have gibsons and rickenbackers and the like, and they play greenday and fall out boy.

That said, someone once had a go at me because I'm still playing a stagg bass, and said I was probably crap. I did the gentlemanly thing and played as much of YYZ as I could manage, and then one of my grade 8 songs. He shut up pretty fast after that.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Do you think people would look down on your playing skill because of the bass you have?
are people this narrow minded?

Yes, because I have nice gear.

I hate having to defend myself for it. Even when I play something impressive its always the "well do you really need 3 basses?" No, of course not. But why limit myself when I can afford them? Everybody can agree that nice gear is pretty enjoyable. I don't look down on people with low end gear, I feel bad for them. I know if they really wanted to they could easily get something nice and enjoy bass playing more.
Quote by gm jack

This.
If I haven't seen someone play and they have a squier I usually think to myself that they aren't that good.
Although I'm usually right.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Depends on their attitude. If somebody has a Squire and they're bragging on it as if it's a Ric, most guys will look down on them until they prove otherwise. However, I've seen guys that had a $3,500 Ampeg setup with a $1,500 musicman, while the guitarist had a top of the line Marshall/Gibson setup, yet they weren't doing anything all that special, and I'm thinking "posers". If they had sounded the same on much cheaper gear, I would have liked them alot better.

I think the guys who are respected are the ones that have solid gear that isn't showy or cliche'. They're the ones who are getting listened to instead of people paying attention to the equipment.
Quote by corndogggy
Depends on their attitude. If somebody has a Squire and they're bragging on it as if it's a Ric, most guys will look down on them until they prove otherwise. However, I've seen guys that had a $3,500 Ampeg setup with a $1,500 musicman, while the guitarist had a top of the line Marshall/Gibson setup, yet they weren't doing anything all that special, and I'm thinking "posers". If they had sounded the same on much cheaper gear, I would have liked them alot better.

I think the guys who are respected are the ones that have solid gear that isn't showy or cliche'. They're the ones who are getting listened to instead of people paying attention to the equipment.

Dud, I can understand the attitude thing, but what does their gear have to do with how much you like them? Some people play busy basslines, some don't. Does it matter if they have expensive equiptment so they can get the tne they want? The bassist in Bloc Party, he plays simple basslines, yet he has a really nice tone and probably has a top of the line rig as well. Could you imagine if he had rubbish equiptment because he feels that he doesn't play hard enough things to deserve a great rig?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
By the way,

It's more crap.

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
By the way,

It's more crap.

Yeah that was annoyin me as well.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
Dud, I can understand the attitude thing, but what does their gear have to do with how much you like them? Some people play busy basslines, some don't. Does it matter if they have expensive equiptment so they can get the tne they want? The bassist in Bloc Party, he plays simple basslines, yet he has a really nice tone and probably has a top of the line rig as well. Could you imagine if he had rubbish equiptment because he feels that he doesn't play hard enough things to deserve a great rig?

It has nothing to do with that, I just hate it when people throw money at it with no thought behind it. It annoys me when a mediocre cover band is full of brand new expensive cliche' equipment.
I seen a guy with a seven string (I think it was a Conklin but I'm not sure). I was really looking forward to hearing him play but for a whole 30 min set all he played was the bottom two strings, and didn't do anything impressive at all.

The next band come on and the bassist has a Squire. I'm thinking "god, yet another **** bassist" and he started shredding it up. He blew the other guy out the water.

It just goes to show you.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Nutter_101
By the way,

It's more crap.

"...with more crap basses"? No.
It's crappier.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by indie-bassist

I agree, to use my current favourite phrase

"They are all alternative enough to sell a million records...and liked by NME, so they must be crap"

proof that even I can (occasionally) be vaguely witty...sort of.

but yeah, remember when Indie mean independant, as in, not signed to Warner Brothers, or Virgin, or EMI? *sigh*

as for the actual thread, well, I wouldnt consider myself a particulaly great player, though Im not the worst either, but I stll like great gear, the next bass Im gonna buy is a Sandberg, a hand made £1000+ bass, but at the end of the day Im still gonna be the rhythm guy in my band, and not playing shed loads of fancy stuff, just the odd fill or riff,in my own spare time I may bash out some Primus or whatever, but on stage I keep ,with what fits the song in my opinion, not what's most fancy and shows off my gear. So no, I dont look down on "crappy" equipment, I look down on people who treat their equipment crappy!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Page 1 of 2