Okay i've just started playing bass for a deathcore band which im syked about.

question; we play drop c, however how should i set my guitar up so that the strings aren't rattling because of the low tuning. i was thinking heavier gauge strings however i've never restrung a bass nor do i know what gauge i would need.

also, we may be playing a song by suicide silence, as they use drop A tuning i would need to restring one of my basses with a five string set i think... would this be okay?

Finally, i do have a smallish 60 watt bass amp, but i need something bigger, we're doing a small UK tour in october, playing bars etc... any ideas?

we sound like annotations of an autopsy, just to give you an idea of the type of sound.

thanks for any help.
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
I tune in C Standard (Like regular standard, but 4 semitones down) and I've always used a light five string set with no dramas, I think that would handle Drop A as well, although I can't imagine that sounding like anything but mud. If string rattle is your problem then you probably need to get the action raised, any luthier/guitar repairman can do this for you, or you can do it yourself, but you'll need someone with more rechnical knowledge than me to tell you how...

Can't help you about the amp, I've always just played through a POD and a powered PA, which is good for versatility. Like I play guitar and sing as well, so it's a good all in one solution, which I would recommend if you're also a musical polygamist. But otherwise, depending on your budget and whether you can consistently play through a house PA, I'd go with a stack of some variety, getting a big combo is cheaper, but you'll ultimately be disappointed. I've heard Behringer do some at reasonable prices, but my hatred for Behringer is deep rooted and as old as the frost...

If my rambling has in any way helped you, I shall do a jig
Take your guitar to a tech. You need neck adjustments, bridge adjustments, and nut adjustments to handle that type of tuning, not to mention different strings and possibly a routed out nut and new saddles to handle the gauge difference. You'll have to raise the action on it too to get the strings off the board, or file your frets down if you don't like having the strings sit so high. I wouldn't recommend using a five-string set on a four string bass. Any time you vary from what the bass was made for you start warping the wood of the neck and body. Trying to find a cheap 5-string would be better short term, or ponying up for a good 5-string, as in the end you'll have to buy a new bass anyway. Look for at least a 150W combo amp, brand is up to you depending on your ear. I'd personally try Eden or GK as those are what I use.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

I've heard a lot of talk about using the right strings for the right guitar/bass, but never really seen it have any noticeable effect, but it never hurts to err on the side of caution
Quote by Dimebag_abbott
Okay i've just started playing bass for a deathcore band which im syked about.

question; we play drop c, however how should i set my guitar up so that the strings aren't rattling because of the low tuning. i was thinking heavier gauge strings however i've never restrung a bass nor do i know what gauge i would need.

also, we may be playing a song by suicide silence, as they use drop A tuning i would need to restring one of my basses with a five string set i think... would this be okay?

Finally, i do have a smallish 60 watt bass amp, but i need something bigger, we're doing a small UK tour in october, playing bars etc... any ideas?

we sound like annotations of an autopsy, just to give you an idea of the type of sound.

thanks for any help.

1)A good approximate guide is to go up .005 for every semitone you detune by. Heavier strings are needed to retain tension. Raising the action won't help at all is the strings are loose and flapping around. Heavier strings need to be tighter to reacher the same pitch.

2)Yes, a heavy 5 string set at that, again because you are drop tuning even more. This is especially true for the low B string, which is often loose before being drop tuned. If this is a long term change, you should get a new nut, so the strings can fit in properly.

3)For gigging, 300W or more is preferable. Remember the drummer has to hear you, as do people at the back of the crowd. There are no bass tones for each genre. Seriously, get out and try some amps that pump out 300W out the box (beware the Ashdown Mag 300, which needs an extension cab to get it's 300W).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
3)For gigging, 300W or more is preferable. Remember the drummer has to hear you, as do people at the back of the crowd. There are no bass tones for each genre. Seriously, get out and try some amps that pump out 300W out the box (beware the Ashdown Mag 300, which needs an extension cab to get it's 300W).

I'm not sure I agree with this: I've gigged perfectly well with a 250w setup at just about half volume so I don't see why you'd need 300w...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.