lol i got a problem

Ive been playing guitar for a while now and i am joining this band that was complete and all of a sudden, the guitar player that got kicked out was asked to join again and now that im in, it leaves us with 3 guitar players a bassist, vocals and a drummer. Now ive never done this before but it seems like it would be awkward to have 5 peopel running around on stage lol. My main concern is that one of em is ok at rythm and cant do leads and the other one is ok at leads and cant do rhythm lol and i have lead and rhythm both locked down. I dont really have the say in who we should get rid of because its not my band in the first place, So if anyone is going to go its probably going to be me lol.

The band wants me to kind of "teach" the other two how to play better and i dont know if i should even go through all the trouble and just bounce now or go through it all.
3 guitar players + bass + vocals + drums = 6 people running around on stage. 5 is managable IMO but six might be pushing it. Not so much because of the number of people, but can you really have three separate guitar parts that are unique enough to warrant the third player?
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
Quote by GuitarFreak664
3 guitar players + bass + vocals + drums = 6 people running around on stage. 5 is managable IMO but six might be pushing it. Not so much because of the number of people, but can you really have three separate guitar parts that are unique enough to warrant the third player?

What bands do you listen to where the drummer runs around on stage?
I usually see them sitting....
well you could always kick them out
however
i would say experiment with different sounds many bands find having multiple guitarists can make music "heavier"
now im not sure what kind of music your band is playing so i'll just assume Metal
for example though Korn while they were still LAPD had only one guitarist Shaffer then they invited Welch back into the group to see what 2 guitars would sound like and they loved it

now one you may or may not like Korn im just using it as an example however the same holds true you can and might as well experiment with 3 guitars...maybe even have someone play acoustic or something depends on your bands style
and if you don't like it just kick the guy out
My Gear:
Epiphone LP-100 Lefty Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider III 15W Amp
Korg AX3000G Multi-Effect Processor
http://www.myspace.com/pregomusic
check out these guys
am a huge fan of these, their debut album is out sometime soon and its gunna be awesome
these have 3 guitarist though and it sounds really amazing having 3 guitars all playing different parts, even if sometimes one of the parts is really subtle
Quote by GuitarFreak664

actually, the drummer doesn't run around. so in reality, there are only 5 people.

and iron maiden did!
stop saying lol
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
i guess it all depends on the type of music that you play
and also how good the others are but what i usually do is one guy lead and very sparce rhythm for the other two, or i put one of the others on soloing, 6 string banjo, ukelele what ever needs to be done extra.
Andrew WK has 3 guitarists in his band, works well.
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Oh ... and maybe singer is a guitarist too.. that makes 5 people
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
3 guitars can sound amazing, if theyre layered nicely...it can also get really noisy and awful. Still, I remember recently watching many performances on youtube with 3 guitarists, and they sounded wonderful.

The good thing for you is(if you can manage the possible clutter), with 3 guitars, your friends can both play fairly simple parts while they learn, you can practice coming up with interwoven guitar parts, and your group will still sound great and full.

Multiple guitars also sounds great acoustically, something to consider.
Your Signature:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
stop saying lol

+1 (it's not that funny honestly)

Also listen to Zwan; they had some great melodic things going on.
relient k has3 guitarists and it sounds ok cause then matty t can play piano and theyre flexible but i would thuink 2 would be enough
There are lots of bands with 3 guitars....but like guitarfreak664 said, the problem is finding seperate parts for all 3 guitars. Radiohead has 3 guitarists (i think) and so does Hawthorne Heights. (well they DID). If your doing covers you can look in to those bands
I hate my sig
check out some live john mayer stuff. he has 3 guitars up on stage, him playing lead, a rythem guitar and a slide guitar. sounds amazing
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Fat Strat
Fender American Telecaster
Taylor 714ce
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Champion 300
Macbook Pro
If you play metal or even other genres, you can have two guys playing harmony and one playing rhythm and it should sound great. Also if any of you know how to play piano or keys you could switch off to do that.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Get rid of the guy thats only good at lead, if you are going to get rid of anyone. Think about it. You need a good solid rhythm player for when you are playing solo's. Plus, the rhythm guitarist can always get better at leads.
IMO I wouldn't want to be in a band where I had to share guitar parts between two others, and I actually was about a year ago. Things were way too complicated when writing. Since you can handle lead and rhythm it should be you to make the decision.
Rock on!
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Quote by Sean Duffy
Iron maiden have 3 guitars, a bassist, a drummer and a singer, and they're practically gods! Plus slipknot have 9 members, half of them don't do anything, but still, they deal with 9 members fine.

actually in slipknot there had been alot of tension in the band invloving beat the **** out of each other.
3 guitars would sounds great IMO
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
Quote by Horny-Egg
actually in slipknot there had been alot of tension in the band invloving beat the **** out of each other.
3 guitars would sounds great IMO

Slipknot have always beat the hell out of each other.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Three guitar players works ok but it really sucks when the paycheck comes in. Split the already small amount of money between 6 people and a sound guy, maybe a light guy, a merch guy. The list can go on and on.
Quote by roxtar_shock
Three guitar players works ok but it really sucks when the paycheck comes in. Split the already small amount of money between 6 people and a sound guy, maybe a light guy, a merch guy. The list can go on and on.

The sound and light guy don't work with the band, they are paid to make you sound good in good lighting by the venue. Merch can easily be done by one of the bandmates.
Quote by hostilekid

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
My Hero Is Me anyone???

Three Guitarist=one kick A awsome band
My signature has doubled...
I think the question has pretty much been answered already but you could have a lead a rythm and a melody guitar... three guitar parts wirk just as well though
Quote by shadesofanger
The sound and light guy don't work with the band, they are paid to make you sound good in good lighting by the venue. Merch can easily be done by one of the bandmates.

Sound and light guys can be a part of a traveling band. Many bands have their own, they just use the venue's equipement. Merch is not that easy to do by yourself, when you are doing a meet and greet after a show, you want to be focusing your attention on the fans, not selling them stuff.
Lynyrd Skynyrd, ftw.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
theres the options of counterpoint, and harmony parts,
as far as chording goes, you really need to stay out of each others way; try to keep chords at 2-3 notes (let the bass handle the root if necessary). Go over voicings a lot, keep the parts in different registers. Maybe consider string quartets or jazz big bands for inspiration on arranging/writing. If your vocalist can sing well and each guitarist plays a single line, you can get some 5-part harmonies going which would be pretty cool.
However, if your not playing harmonically (or at least texturally) rich music, it probably wont work. And if the other members cant stay out of each others way (harmonically) it will probably not work.
Quote by roxtar_shock
Sound and light guys can be a part of a traveling band. Many bands have their own, they just use the venue's equipement. Merch is not that easy to do by yourself, when you are doing a meet and greet after a show, you want to be focusing your attention on the fans, not selling them stuff.

Unless the band is big, I have never seen smaller bands with their own sound and light guy. The band can sell their own merch. When I see local shows the bands have all their merch set up in their own area and sell merch until they play, when they get off one goes back as the rest take their equipment out. Why do they do this? Saves money.
Quote by hostilekid

Quote by GoldenBlues