i like my 5150..but it just doenst seem to cut it a lot of the time for me, evne with my emgs equipped guitar...

i was thinking of selling it & saving some additional cash and buying a marshall jcm800 or jcm2000 head and getting some lower end cab with vintage 30s...

i play a lot of these bands:

The devil wears prada
a day to remember
maylene & the sons of disaster
underoath
boys like girls
taking back sunday
fall out boy
say anything
the academy is...
journey
coldplay

so..everything from calm to teh br00talz....will a jcm800 cut it for this stuff or will i need another $500 in pedals and crap?

i just want a good gain tone...

maybe my 5150 CAN cut it with a decimator and tubescreamer...but im beginning to think a different amp is in store

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Marshalls arent really high gain amps however i have no experiance with the JCM...

I think the 5150 + a noise gate and a tube screamer sounds like it would be fine.
well, if your not getting enough gain out of your 5150, than the marshall def. wont make you happy. its not a super high gain amp. however, if you are wanting more versatilitly, like cleans to classic rock to hard rock to thrash metal and maybe a tiny bit heavier, than the jcm800 would be great for you, with a tubescreamer.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
What exactly is the problem with the 5150? What don't you like about it?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
What exactly is the problem with the 5150? What don't you like about it?

idk...it just sounds loose and flabby, this is my first tube amp so i dont really know what one should sound like, all i know is the music i listen to...

it has new JJ's in it so tubes arent the problem, my battery in my EMGs is a Duracell Procell thats brand new, i use monster cables...

i dont know...it just doesnt sound tight enough, my palm-mutes dont have a solid crunch, it just sounds like *thuck thuck thuck* not *chook chook chook*

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
i say do it. but dont buy a new marshall jcm 800

the best ones are the one from 80-83 and apparantly after the they strated using different parts which dont sound as good up until 87 they supposedly got better

find an amp from that era or get a ceriatone

DONT get a new one, its a different amp under the same name

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by jcp42877
idk...it just sounds loose and flabby, this is my first tube amp so i dont really know what one should sound like, all i know is the music i listen to...

it has new JJ's in it so tubes arent the problem, my battery in my EMGs is a Duracell Procell thats brand new, i use monster cables...

i dont know...it just doesnt sound tight enough, my palm-mutes dont have a solid crunch, it just sounds like *thuck thuck thuck* not *chook chook chook*

9/10 times it's your EQ. What is it set at? gain settings? What is the cab? Or is it the combo?
^yep, I would bet you don't have it setup right, that amp should really do well with the metal bands you mentioned, now, coldplay and jurney might not be where that amp excels, but you should be able to make it work.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
its the combo, & the Eq depends on what im playing at the moment:

i.e. (bedroom level of course)

TDWP:
pre-6
post-2
bass-8
mid-5.5
treble-5.5/6
resonance-6
prescence-6

Fall Out Boy:
pre-4
post-2
bass-5.5/6
mid-3.5/4
treble-6
resonance-6
prescence-6

*i try not to change my resonance or prescence from 6 for ANYTHING i play*

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877

Well I have played both and the JCM800 is actually a rather loose sounding amp (espeically when compared to the 5150!) and will NOT get you a tight, heavy palm muted tone! It will probably do mroe of the opposite really!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You could try resting your palm a bit higher when you palm mute, that results in a much tighter sound.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
try less bass, more mids and maybe slightly more treble.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Gabel
Well I have played both and the JCM800 is actually a rather loose sounding amp (espeically when compared to the 5150!) and will NOT get you a tight, heavy palm muted tone! It will probably do mroe of the opposite really!

this
look it pretty much has to be your eq, those heavy bands you listed might even use 5150's themselves
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Everyone always says they arent setup right, but Im starting to think that 5150/6505 are just not too great of an amp to begin with. The bottom end is way to loose for my taste, and the lower gain stages don't sound too great either.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
yea a lot of those bands u listed use 6505's or Mesa's.

i would spend some time reEQing it. also, at bedroom levels, those amps will not sound the best since its such high wattage. attenuator??
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"