i want to know why he is revered as such an amazing vocalist
i have NOT heard all of his stuff,but his cover of Leonard Cohens 'Hallelujah' is supposed to be epic
yet when i hear it,it doesn't really excite me much
can someone explain to me how he is revered as such an amazing vocalist?

oh and here's the hallelujah video of Jeff singing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Quote by metaldud536
Who?

is he really that unknown?

Quote by UncleCthulhu
His most famous song is a cover...

Say no more.

lol very true
didnt think of it that way..
Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Minkaro

Quote by Table Salt

add that:
Myspace
Quote by shdowfox17
i want to know why he is revered as such an amazing vocalist
i have NOT heard all of his stuff,but his cover of Leonard Cohens 'Hallelujah' is supposed to be epic
yet when i hear it,it doesn't really excite me much
can someone explain to me how he is revered as such an amazing vocalist?

oh and here's the hallelujah video of Jeff singing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ

i think he is revered as a vocalist because of the emotions he was able to convey, many people think his voice had a ghostly quality to it

btw the cover you have the link to sounds really different to the one i have
Quote by UncleCthulhu

Say no more.

I think that if he wouldn't died that problem would be fixed many times
鋼の錬金術師
Well, just listen to the song. It's got deep emotion. He can cover four octaves.

That song brings me to tears sometimes... just because of the way he sings it.

EDIT- And yeah, the version I have has a slower intro and sounds more depressing.
Last edited by guitarkid2113 at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by UncleCthulhu

Say no more.

He has tons of amazing songs other than Hallelujah, both ballads and hard rock. How many people actually find their favorite band's best song to be their most famous song? In my experience, very few. It's the same here. If all you know about an artist is one song, don't judge.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Jeff Buckley was a great singer, a great guitarist, a great band leader, and a great songwriter. His album Grace is one of the best albums of the 90s hands down.
Death to Ovation haters!
Because it was on one of the season finales of The OC and now all the cool kids are loving it.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
I like John Cale's version of "Hallelujah" so much more. In my mind, there really isn't even a comparison between the two versions of the song.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by PatchworkMan
Jeff Buckley was a great singer, a great guitarist, a great band leader, and a great songwriter. His album Grace is one of the best albums of the 90s hands down.

This. Although it is opinionated he is widely regarded as an incredible vocalist, if you listen to say Last Goodbye the singing in the bridge/middle 8 is absolutely astounding. Or Grace the singing towards the end. He had a huge vocal range as well.
Quote by Gunpowder
I like John Cale's version of "Hallelujah" so much more. In my mind, there really isn't even a comparison between the two versions of the song.

was that the guy that covered it on shrek or was that rufus wainright? sorry bit of an odd question i just get the two mixed up lol, i love buckleys version though, i read an article about him in total guitar a while back and got into him, hes amazing, anyway sorry for blabbing on like a nutter
He had a 4 octave vocal range, it sounded incredible, his songs were full of emotive and his guitar work was great. His live albums are outstanding.
I think Mojo Pin is the song that shows off Jeff's voice the best. You just try singing along to that!

It's not his fault his most famous song is a cover and it's not his fault he had the nack of covering songs, transcending the originals and making them his own (just listen to the Live at Sin-e album for evidence of that).

If Jeff Buckley was to walk into an audition on one of those ****ty reality TV talent shows and sing he'd probably put Simon Cowell in an orgasm-induced coma.
Quote by PatchworkMan

damn straight!
Yes, it's a very old username.
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
was that the guy that covered it on shrek or was that rufus wainright? sorry bit of an odd question i just get the two mixed up lol, i love buckleys version though, i read an article about him in total guitar a while back and got into him, hes amazing, anyway sorry for blabbing on like a nutter

nah,jeff didnt do the shrek cover
that was some other dude
Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Minkaro

Quote by Table Salt

add that:
Myspace
Quote by shdowfox17
nah,jeff didnt do the shrek cover
that was some other dude

yeah i know that jeff didnt do the shrek cover, i couldnt remember if it was rufus wainright or john cale that did it, i think it was rufus wainright though
Quote by Joe4/4/1992

I think it is the same version as the one in Shrek, yes, if memory serves.

EDIT: Looked it up online; Cale's was the version used in the movie, although Wainwright's, not Cale's, was included on the soundtrack. Weird.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Last edited by Gunpowder at Sep 2, 2008,
Rufus Wainwright sings the song in Shrek, not Jeff Buckley. His version is very similar, though.
Death to Ovation haters!
Just listened to ' Hallelujah' don't get it. Bored me stiff. Can't be bothered with breathy singer songwriters.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
Just listened to ' Hallelujah' don't get it. Bored me stiff. Can't be bothered with breathy singer songwriters.

Try listening to "Mojo Pin", "Last Goodbye", "Grace", and "Lover You Should Have Come Over". Not breathy singer-songwriter fare at all.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Gunpowder

EDIT: Looked it up online; Cale's was the version used in the movie, although Wainwright's, not Cale's, was included on the soundtrack. Weird.

hmm, wonder why that is? oh well
cheers for the info
Thanks for reminding me of that song's existence - I just started learning it cos i love that song.