I have an '86 Carvin V220 with a kahler locking trem system. Recently, the locking hex bolt assembly on the low E/A portion of the locking pre-nut/string tree had become increasingly difficult to turn, and while I was replacing a broken string a while ago, I managed to strip the hex bolt head, so now it's more of a circle. I've tried turning it with a vice grip and pliers, but there's no way to get a good grip. Are there other things I could try to get the bolt and plate off so I can replace them, like drilling or a hacksaw, or should I just order a whole new locking pre-nut/string tree assembly?
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Ah unlucky mate. This happened to me once and I tried everything to get it out. I finally got it by jamming the allen key(hex bolt thing) in at a weird angle and it managed to catch some sort of thread in the circle that once was my nut. So I suggest try the allen key a at different angles otherwise maybe put like some rubber or something around the nut then using plier so it has grip...i dunno. Good luck.
Quote by devilscruffs14
once i banged a 5 year old chick, i love banging older women.

HAHA
Slot for flat head screwdriver & extract?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You should be able to buy a new bolt from a decent guitar shop - I'd take the old one in and ask.

As for getting the old one out, I'm with the guy that said cut a slot in it. do it slowly cos you could easily scratch the finish.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
1 trick if you have a dremel is use a cutoff wheel and cut a slot in the head of the bolt a screwdriver will fit in. A hacksaw blade can make a slot to, just need to be careful. Should be enough to get it out so you can buy another.
That really sucks, many times I have stripped those little things. Mind you, I never crank down on them ever, I tighten just enough so that you cant unscrew it manually. I would definitely agree with the other guys about cutting through it so you can wedge a flat head in there, but I would resort to that last.

I would suggest that you tightly wrap a rubber band around it, then go at it with the vice grip again.

Then for replacement, GuitarCenter should have what you need. 3 Replacement nut blocks, and 3 screws supplied by AllParts.
Last edited by SamZee at Sep 2, 2008,