I haven't been able to really use laney amp,the jsx amp is sweet but from what i heard the laney has some very good metal leads so im interested in it.I mostly play prog metal and thrash metal(im in a thrash prog metal/.rock band)I want a similar tone John petrucci,Jeff loomis, Trivium,etc.Basically very thrashy for rhythm but epic for prog sounding leads
well petrucci uses mesa mark,recto and i think roadster/road kings?

for the thrashy sound...just use your bridge pick up. for leads use the neck.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Sep 2, 2008,
You'd probably want a Mesa Single recto head or something. The JSX doesn't have as much gain as you'd want and the Laney will probably be too bright for your tastes.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
You'd probably want a Mesa Single recto head or something. The JSX doesn't have as much gain as you'd want.
Excuse me? The JSX oozes gain. More than anyone would every need, actually. The Laney is a good amp too, but you will probably need an OD pedal to spice it up. The JSX requires no front end boost for thrash/prog metal riffing.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Out of the two, JSX hands down. Never played the Laney myself, but it seems to suit a more crunchy sound, and not really a brutal sound. I know Loomis and Trivium used the Triple XXX from Peavey, and the JSX is basically the same thing, so I'd go for that.
Quote by Van Noord
Excuse me? The JSX oozes gain. More than anyone would every need, actually. The Laney is a good amp too, but you will probably need an OD pedal to spice it up. The JSX requires no front end boost for thrash/prog metal riffing.

I tried the JSX, I don't remember it had THAT much gain.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I tried the JSX, I don't remember it had THAT much gain.

Mabe you didn't explore the Ultra Channel, thats where the completly over the top gain lays, although the chruch channel can get into to jcm 800 gain levels on its own.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6