Bought a custom 5-string, play it 10 hours a week, have for a couple months, still can't get used to it. High on the fretboard near the nut the strings are tight. I have to play it more like a normal guitar with my fingertips instead of more of my pads. Often I can't tell where to put my fingers when I'm standing up, when I look at it, it appears to just be a wall of strings, I can't see any separation and it just doesn't feel right so if I don't look I'm really inaccurate.

My old wider 4 string felt more natural near the nut, I didnt' feel like I had to look, but everything was clear and separated when I did. Close to the 12th fret, my 5-string feels better though, feels REALLY good. I can slap and pop alot better on my 4 string too. I very rarely play below D on the big string on the 5-string, seems like a waste for my playing style.

Anyway, just wondering if I should keep struggling with the 5-string or if some people just aren't destined to be able to play on a tight fretboard. Been thinking about selling it and getting a Fender American standard 4-string.
You should probably just get a 4 string and pop on a hipshot d-tuner key, so you can still reach the low notes that you use.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
yeah, i rekon head back to the 4 banger, or try a wide necked 5 stringer. hit up your local music shop and try em out dude

Sanity is not statistical
Some styles the 5-string is nice, but I don't use it like I should. It hurts me more than it helps. The country "oom-pah" style is cool because you can play that second note an octave down, and major scale run-ups to the first chord in a progression is nice to hit that fat string. Otherwise I don't really use it. Maybe I just got a nut that is too narrow. I didn't order it that way, the guy that owns the custom shop built it for himself, I got it used.
1. why did you buy it?
2. sell it on ebay
3. buy a new bass which you have testen in a musicstore and liked
4. pee on it to make it your territory
5. ????
6. profit
7. we want to see your new one
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
1. why did you buy it?
2. sell it on ebay
3. buy a new bass which you have testen in a musicstore and liked
4. pee on it to make it your territory
5. ????
6. profit
7. we want to see your new one

I got it because I've always wanted a 5-string, and this one was a cool custom with a sweet neck. I'm mainly wondering if my complaints are typical of switchovers and will go away or if I should give up since I can play a 4 string better. Otherwise, the rest of it is my plan, especially peeing on it.
Quote by corndogggy
I got it because I've always wanted a 5-string, and this one was a cool custom with a sweet neck. I'm mainly wondering if my complaints are typical of switchovers and will go away or if I should give up since I can play a 4 string better. Otherwise, the rest of it is my plan, especially peeing on it.

I had no switchover problem (well... except for that it took me 2 hours to not hit the 5-string when thinking to play the e ).

and the fact might be that the bass is so custom that it is adapted to his style of playing, not yours.
Try some other five strings and see if they feel better. + try using the switches/knobs on your bass for a better tone (thought you said that too somewhere)
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
and the fact might be that the bass is so custom that it is adapted to his style of playing, not yours.

I'm starting to think that... I played his new custom 4 string at lunch and it was the exact same way. I have never felt a 4 string that narrow at the nut. Apparently he does all of them like that unless specified otherwise on a custom order. I have no idea why.

The other 5-strings in town sucked pretty bad, really really wide and flat, that's why I got this one, but we don't exactly have a nice bass selection... a $400 bass is top of the line stock at the shops around here.

My tone isn't really bad. It's defined and fat. I like it. My tone problems are mostly with DI'ing out of my amp. Playing on my amp with my cab sounds great. Playing through our PA system coming out of my GK's DI... not so much.
Maybe 5 strings just aren't your thing. You don't seem to like tight spacings or wide spacings, so maybe just go back to a four. For what it's worth, it took me about 3 minutes to get used to a five string.
when i bought my 5 string it took me quite some time to get used to it. After about 5 months of use and never playing the low B i decided to buy a 6-string pack and tossed the low B and stringed it up with the high C and couldn't be happier. I am probably weird but i incorporate a lot of chords with my playing style and its something that i would recommend at least trying to do before selling it.
My babys
Dean 5 string
alvarez electric/acoustic 4 string
Experimental Squier standard P-bass (quarter pounders and hip shot bridge)