How would I go about doing this? What kind of companies do this sort of thing?
You can rest when you're dead.

User of
Schecter Guitars
Blackstar Amps
MXR Effects
Quote by Øttər
Dipped... in what, chocolate?

BEST.RESPONSE.EVER.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
tub of water with dissolved borax. paint is dripped in, and forms a layer on top.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by Øttər

Sorry I meant to get the paint off. Like, in industrial paint stripper kinda stuff. Ive heard some companies dip doors and things to get off finishes and paint, and you can get your guitar dipped.
You can rest when you're dead.

User of
Schecter Guitars
Blackstar Amps
MXR Effects
I have heard of a pickup mod that involves dipping the pickup in paraffin wax to reduce microphonic noise, maybe that's what you mean. It's not that hard, you just melt the wax in a can and then dip the pickup in it and then take it out.
Quote by Øttər

sigged.

and i seriously wouldnt rcommend dipping ur guitar in paint stripper. ever. it would damage everything, not just the guitar. ur best bet is to sand the finish off.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Power sander will do it in no time with no damage to the guitar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
The paint say on a car door is much thinner than the paint used on a guitar. And cant imagine being dipped in such nasty chemicals would be good for a wood body.
Paint stripper works fine as far as removing certain types of paint. Others you will struggle with forever and still not get it all off.
I would just recommend you sand off the paint. It is simple, and relatively easy. And it doesn't involve caustic substances.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Yeah, just what ever you do, get a power sander. you're in for a hell of a job hand sanded.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, just what ever you do, get a power sander. you're in for a hell of a job hand sanded.

Oh yeah, when I wanted to change the color of my old guitar, no power sander was available, so I did it all by hand and it took forever to strip down the finish.
if you're not looking to re-stain the guitar, then all you really need to do is scuff the outer clearcoat enough for some mechanical adhesion. then you can sand to ~400 where you'll be able to spry and clearcoat on a smoother surface.

=)
------

Shwiggity.