I'm not too knowledgeable on the technical aspects of bass and since i just ran into a **** load of things i have no idea to solve i figured i'd see if anyone on the forum can help me before i blow my money on repairs that i could have easily done at home.

First off, tons of people have been telling me that my action is too high when they play my bass. I don't notice it, but i assume it's always been that way and i'm just used to it. The sad fact of the matter is, i have no idea what action is, what it does or how to change it. All i know is that lots of people said i'd be better if i turned it down so i figured i might as well try it.

The second problem is from today. I changed my strings for the first time since October. I did the G and for some odd reason whenever i play the string it now makes a rattling sound. It doesn't look like it's hitting anything so i don't know what's causing it, but it sounds like ****.

The final problem is also from changing my strings (why did last time i changed them go fine and this time turn into a cluster**** of problems?). I'm not sure what the technical term for it is but the thing that elevates my D string (on the body right before the fretboard) fell off somehow. The string was literally touching the fretboard and impossible to play. I found the missing peice and put it back, but now it's not attached to anything and continually slides up and down as i try and play.

The other problem i already mentioned on these boards a few months ago and that is that my battery dies in barely a week and a half (even when not plugged in.) Anyway, i'm just wondering what i should do and (about) how much itt'l cost to repair it if i have to.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
lol...i don't even understand ur problems but it sounds like butt load of them.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Action is discussed in the FAQ- it's pretty much how high your strings are from the fretboard. It's completely preferential how high you want your action though. If you want to try lower action, the FAQ has a guide (inclusive of intonation- how in tune your bas sis up and down the neck), but a set-up by a pro shouldn't cost you that much. The rattle on the G may well be fixed by this as well.

The thing on the body in front of the fretboard- I'm going to assume that you're talking about the saddle. What bass do you have? Different saddles are fixed differently.
to lower the action their are screws around the bridgethat will lower the thing that broke is one of the things that lower the action

as for the strings you may have got a lower/higher gauge and the nut is rattling at the top of the neck or the strings are just new and are incredibly bright

I may just suggest getting a new bridge to help with the whole thing
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Action is discussed in the FAQ- it's pretty much how high your strings are from the fretboard. It's completely preferential how high you want your action though. If you want to try lower action, the FAQ has a guide (inclusive of intonation- how in tune your bas sis up and down the neck), but a set-up by a pro shouldn't cost you that much. The rattle on the G may well be fixed by this as well.

The thing on the body in front of the fretboard- I'm going to assume that you're talking about the saddle. What bass do you have? Different saddles are fixed differently.

Sounds like i should check out the FAQ, i have a 5 string BC Rich Zombie.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Action is how high the string is from the body. Lower action will make fretting notes with your left hand easier, but go too low and the string may rattle and buzz. How you lower or raise the action depends on your particular bass.