i know this could be in the wrong section but i hope not cos i need help im not sure which to get new guitar (ive curently got a ibanez gax30) and a rocktronic 40 watt amp (i think it says on back pwr 40va) and i was wondering i play alot of power chords and punk music with solos ( i do alot of them) weather to buy a new amp ( and which one) or a new guitar (and which one) im hoping for it by christmas ive also got a cry baby wah and marshall guvnor pedals im not keen on 20 or 30 pedals i have a small mind so i forget what does what
A new amp, in my opinion. It'd be a better tonal improvement. Could you list some of the bands you want a similar tone to and what your budget would be? That'd be most helpful.
Quote by Denthúl
A new amp, in my opinion. It'd be a better tonal improvement. Could you list some of the bands you want a similar tone to and what your budget would be? That'd be most helpful.

well green day a7x and blink 182 abit to much toneal variety but thats the music i like if its more specific green day and blink for main parts eg chorus and verses and avenged for some chorus and verse and deffently for solo im not sure if it helps btw ive got smallish fingers and realised i cant play high notes on d a low e strings with the bolt on necks so abit to think about also send a link for me could u to it ( im to lazy too search it myself)
if you say you dont want a lot of pedals, depending on your budget i'd suggest a multi-effects pedal. you can get a good one of them for aroung £300 (don't know what that is in $) but if you're looking for a change of what i call 'big stuff' then yeh an amp is the way forward.

you mention about bolt on necks and inability to reach the high notes, the new ibanez's have a different shaped bolt arrangement allowing the player to easily reach the high notes, i know because i've got an RG series ibanez and it's honestly the best guitar i've ever played, and i've played fender strats, gibson sg's & les pauls and even a PRS (no idea what make though, it was just in the shop lol)
Last edited by jack_demo at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by bainsy911
well green day a7x and blink 182 abit to much toneal variety but thats the music i like if its more specific green day and blink for main parts eg chorus and verses and avenged for some chorus and verse and deffently for solo im not sure if it helps btw ive got smallish fingers and realised i cant play high notes on d a low e strings with the bolt on necks so abit to think about also send a link for me could u to it ( im to lazy too search it myself)

How much can you spend?
Quote by bainsy911
about 0 - 300 for a guitar 0 - 200 on an amp

What kind of currency is that? To be honest, if it's anything other than Sterling (and even then, I'd alter those figures significantly) then I'd put it all on the amp and wait it out for a new guitar. It may be a little (or a lot) loud for your needs, but consider something like a Roland RH50TC.
Quote by Denthúl
What kind of currency is that? To be honest, if it's anything other than Sterling (and even then, I'd alter those figures significantly) then I'd put it all on the amp and wait it out for a new guitar. It may be a little (or a lot) loud for your needs, but consider something like a Roland RH50TC.

its pounds and pence british money
Well, then, you can definitely afford something like that Randall. You'd have about £150 left over, which isn't enough for a decent new guitar, but a bit of saving would get you there in the end. If you think a fifty watt valve combo would produce too much volume to be socially friendly (if you live in a house with other people, or have adjoining houses) then it may be worth looking in to some smaller valve combos or, dare I say it, some of the better modelling amps.
Randall RG50tc, not a Roland. Don't confuse the poor guy. Buy and amp, save for a new guitar if you still want one after you hear your guitar through a good amp. Will you ever be playing with a drummer or is this just for practice? Any plans of being in a band or jamming with friends?
Quote by gregs1020
Randall RG50tc, not a Roland. Don't confuse the poor guy. Buy and amp, save for a new guitar if you still want one after you hear your guitar through a good amp. Will you ever be playing with a drummer or is this just for practice? Any plans of being in a band or jamming with friends?

Sorry. It's been a while since I bothered to look as low down as R in the amphabet. Thanks for pointing that out
Quote by gregs1020

yea id quite like to use it in a band ive got one for home my microcube street