So I got this band going, with me on guitar/vocals, my friend on guitar, and my other friend as a drummer. we dont have a bass and the drummer said we like absolutely need one, but the thing is, I cant play and sing at the same time very well, so i got vocals and add some guitar rhythm when i can and solos, and have my friend on guitar fills, but the drummer still wants a bass. Suggestions?
Why are you reading this?
Jam with what you've got at the moment and find a bassist in the meantime? You really need a bassist to get the EQ of the whole band to sound better.
well i'm not in a band so i can't empathise with your situation, but i have some friends in different bands and my cousin is a respected drummer in our area, but i would agree that a bassist is usually a good addition to any band however not neccessary in all situations. some bands can do without a bassist if the rythm guitar and drum beat can provide basslines just as good but others need a bass to keep everyone in time, kind of like a funky metronome. it just depends on what type of music you play really, such as if it's grunge or heavy stuff like korn or rancid, a bassist isnt really neccessary but if you play blues like john mayer or stevie ray vaughan then a bassist is generally a worthwhile thing to have. whereas indie music can possibly do without a bass, but they can be handy to fill in with bass solo's of you're short on the vocal arrangements for that particular songs just to fill in time.
Last edited by jack_demo at Sep 2, 2008,
find a bassist?

sing and bass?

tell ur drummer "screw you we dont have a bass"?

give up?

there are many more possibilities
Quote by jack_demo
well i'm not in a band so i can't empathise with your situation, but i have some friends in different bands and my cousin is a respected drummer in our area, but i would agree that a bassist is usually a good addition to any band however not neccessary in all situations. some bands can do without a bassist if the rythm guitar and drum beat can provide basslines just as good but others need a bass to keep everyone in time, kind of like a funky metronome. it just depends on what type of music you play really, such as if it's grunge or heavy stuff like korn or rancid, a bassist isnt really neccessary but if you play blues like john mayer or stevie ray vaughan then a bassist is generally a worthwhile thing to have. whereas indie music can possibly do without a bass, but they can be handy to fill in with bass solo's of you're short on the vocal arrangements for that particular songs just to fill in time.

You're aware that the two bands you mentioned as examples of not needing a bass player are two bands that are well known FOR their bass players?
Quote by jack_demo
such as if it's grunge or heavy stuff like korn or rancid,

matt freeman from rancid was sick. so sick. go back and listen to detroit, or maxwell murder(killer solo), dope sick girl, etc. i'd almost say he revolutionized how bass was played in a punk band.

but honestly, unless you tune down to drop C or something, you need a bassist. you can try to go without, but it really takes away from the bottom end of the rhythm. why dont one of you(guitar players) play bass? thats what i did in my last band. it made my guitar playing better for the one im in now. and i play bass in a few songs in my current band.
I have my amp set so its full bass on it, and when i switch to the neck pup, it sounds like a bass, and when i go bridge it sounds like a bright guitar, so i think i could just do that and switch between the two during songs.
Quote by tomin8r
I have my amp set so its full bass on it, and when i switch to the neck pup, it sounds like a bass, and when i go bridge it sounds like a bright guitar, so i think i could just do that and switch between the two during songs.

its gonna sound like either a thin bass, or a muddy guitar. honestly, the drummer is just learning, put him on rhythm bass before he's dead set on guitar.

or find a bassist!
Quote by chris024
its gonna sound like either a thin bass, or a muddy guitar. honestly, the drummer is just learning, put him on rhythm bass before he's dead set on guitar.

or find a bassist!

i dont think i folow with the drummer is just learning thing.
Quote by tomin8r

Pitch and tone are two very, very different things.

There is a topic almost every week on this question. They all come down to the same conclusion. Get a bassist.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
yeah i know that there 2 different things. We decided that were gonna practice it as is, and if we thing its bad well get one
No bassist = bad in rock environment. Hell most of the time if your going to be devoid of an instrument it should be guitar (and you gotta replace that with something... KEYBOARDS) look at Emerson Lake and Palmer....

Without a bassist, you have no punch, no oomph, no low end sound frequency holding the sonic textures together.

Get a bassist.
Quote by tomin8r
i dont think i folow with the drummer is just learning thing.

i misread something
Quote by tomin8r
So I got this band going, with me on guitar/vocals, my friend on guitar, and my other friend as a drummer. we dont have a bass and the drummer said we like absolutely need one, but the thing is, I cant play and sing at the same time very well, so i got vocals and add some guitar rhythm when i can and solos, and have my friend on guitar fills, but the drummer still wants a bass. Suggestions?

find a bassist? if that's too hard get one guitarist to play their guitar with he bass effects turned way up OR get a keyboard lay to play keybass.
Thats what we settled on, were gonna have our guitars set so that they can change the sound to make it sound like a bass, a little thin but a bass sound none the less. Thanks for the suggestions, this can be closed.
If you are struggling to play guitar and sing at the same time, why not switch to bass?
Yes, I know that to play a bass properly is actualy harder than most people think, but if you start off just playing the basic backing notes, it should actualy be easier than playing guitar while singing and solves your other problem of no bassist at the same time.
Eventualy, once you get more used to singing and playing at the same time, you can expand on the instrument, add any guitar technique that you might already have learned such as chords and finger tapping and make it your own instrument.
I can play bass already it just annoys the shit out of me when i try and sing while playing bass. We solved the problem for now. This can be closed.