First of all sorry for bringing the pit down with this thread.

I just wanted to know the answer to this question. Is Manic depression genetic and can it be passed through generations?

Thanks.
You're a lot more likely to have bipolar if your family has a history of mental illness, yes.
i think it is, yeah
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
yeah its genetic, i believe it says so in heroes xD
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by szekelymihai
if you are sorry than why did you bring it?
i dont think that its genetical just that some people are more likely to get in that mood.listen to some fast paced music.works for me

Makes me angry! which only covers the depression.
It has a genetic component but it is not absolute. You're more likely to have it if a family member does. A lot of mental illnesses are partially hereditary.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Yes, there is a stronger chance that a person will develop a major depressive disorder if someone in the immediate family has one. However, other factors can also contribute to the development of a disorder such as a person's environment, biological chemistry, etc. If you have symptoms of a disorder or think that something is wrong, the best thing to do would be to see a psychiatrist and get their opinion. But don't worry about developing a disorder unless you begin to see definite symptoms.
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
Quote by Dr. Guitar
Yes, there is a stronger chance that a person will develop a major depressive disorder if someone in the immediate family has one. However, other factors can also contribute to the development of a disorder such as a person's environment, biological chemistry, etc. If you have symptoms of a disorder or think that something is wrong, the best thing to do would be to see a psychiatrist and get their opinion. But don't worry about developing a disorder unless you begin to see definite symptoms.

And the symptoms are..?
Quote by imdeth
And the symptoms are..?

Of depression? I thought it was obvious.
Same with manic depression. Those two are pretty self-explanatory.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
no, manic depression's a jimi hendrix song. i guess it could passed down to you, but that's only if your dad gave you the record or something.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Yeah it is. I used to have it sort of. You just have to basically prepare yourself for it. Always trying to get a grip and to NOT bring others down too is key.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by imdeth
And the symptoms are..?

There are 2 types of Bipolar disorder.

Type 1 - mood changes drastically over a longer period of time. At one time you might feel like Jesus or Hercules (and some people actually believe they are if they become psychotic) and at another moment (usually months later) you may feel worthless/guilty/suicidal. Psychosis can result of these mood swings or a combo of the 2, aka a "mixed episode".

Type 2- Rapid cycling (quicker mood swings), hypomania (less intense version of mania, you don't go as "high". Psychosis is also possible with type 2. ( I have type 2 )

BP disorder is hereditary but that doesn't mean you absolutely will get it.

By the way, check out my group on my profile, it deals w/ mental illness. It's a pretty active group.
both of my granddads and my dad have BD, those odds seem a bit unfair....i have type 2..YAY
you gonna get raped!!!!!!!

searchbar.
"Dude, you gotta pull an "Axl Rose" on them.
Tell them it's your band, if they don't like it, they can get in line and kiss your ass." ~pablo_arg
Quote by imdeth
And the symptoms are..?

According to the 2000 version of the DSM-IV (the tool used by psychiatrists to diagnose mental illnesses), the possible symptoms are:

1. Depressed mood most of the day
2. Less interest or pleasure in all activities
3. Weight loss or gain (when not dieting)
4. Sleeping difficulties
5. Slowed or fastened movements
6. Tiredness or loss of energy
7. Feeling worthless
8. Difficulty concentrating
9. Thoughts of death

However, one must have a certain number of the symptoms above to be diagnosed with a major depressive disorder. Other factors are also taken into consideration, such as whether the symptoms are interfering with daily life or whether there was a recent tragedy in the person's life. The diagnosing process is quite complex.

Please keep in mind that I am not a doctor. If you are worried about yourself or another person, please please please get help from a qualified psychiatrist! It is the best option!
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
a big part of mental illness is brain chemistry.

My Grandma has had depression before, my mom has, and my older brother and i have both have had it.

in some cases a short time with prescription drugs can help it, it worked for me. i spent a year or two on the stuff and now i dont need it anymore because it worked like a replacement therapy- eventually my body got back on track and doesn't need the drugs.

in other cases, like my mom's, you may need to have the drugs for life. she had two bouts with depression and came through with counseling and prescriptions, but she needed to start back about a year later both times. now doctor's tell her she probably won't be able to pull herself from the prescriptions because her body just won't create the chemicals needed to put her brain in balance.
Quote by RU Experienced?
It's a dominant trait, which means eventually you WILL develop it. It's just a matter of when your brain sets off. Have fun buddy!

Not necessarily only guaranteed if both parents have it and one are homozygous.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by imdeth
First of all sorry for bringing the pit down with this thread.

I just wanted to know the answer to this question. Is Manic depression genetic and can it be passed through generations?

Thanks.

Make sure you don't get manic depression confused with depression if you feel the need to talk to a psychiatrist about it. Otherwise you'll be fighting half the battle and you'll end up on anti-depressants instead of mood stabilizers.
Also, if you really strongly feel that you have it and you need medication, be warned that the medication will make you feel dull. Anti-depressants have the same effect. They shave off the lows AND the highs, so you don't get into a depressed mood but you don't really get into a good one either.
Quote by tayroar
Not necessarily only guaranteed if both parents have it and one are homozygous.

I know, I just wanted him to freak out