Page 1 of 2
I have around $5-600 to spend on a high gain amp but I can only play at relatively low volumes. Any good toned hi-gain amps at that price and low wattage?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
I don't see why not get a high watt solid state
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
line 6 spider III or a low watt tube amp.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
I'd recommend the Vox ADVT30 or 50. It handles gain really well, doesn't get ridiculously loud.
Quote by Sakattack75

spider?? no f'ing way
def look at a low watt tube, like 30W or so - or a higher watt ss amp

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I don't see why not get a high watt solid state

if he wants it for low volumes, why would he get a 150 watt amp. thats a hundred bucks that can go to something else.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by Tyler Durden
spider?? no f'ing way

why not?
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
Quote by Sakattack75

its a spider, which is =/=good tone.

if its gonna be played in your bedroom, i suggest roland cube.
EDIT: yep, my bad about the tube thing. spider 3 still does suck.
Last edited by thisdude at Sep 2, 2008,
Tube = **** at low volumes i had several over a two year period and im much happier with a solid state now. I'd say look into a line 6 flextone 3 its not a bad tone and they have alrigt effects. Serously i'd say about 95% of all people on UG couldn't actually tell the difference between a solid stade and tube amp if they were locked up in a room blinfolded with the two. Everybody just hops on the bandwagon because tubes are so cool.
plus you can pick them up on ebay in good condition for about £50 ($100) which is just stealing basically. And use the rest to save up for a decent guitar or something.
Quote by axe_thrasher
Tube = **** at low volumes i had several over a two year period and im much happier with a solid state now.

I dunno, I play my Nitro at pretty low volumes most of the time and it destroys any high gain SS amp I've ever heard.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I dunno, I play my Nitro at pretty low volumes most of the time and it destroys any high gain SS amp I've ever heard.

+1

I have two 100+ watt tube amps that I normally dont go over two with and they kill my randall in every way.

And TS heres your options
Used Peavey Ultra, Triple or 5150
New Bugera
Or you might be able to squeeze out a Krank Rev Jr if you save up a little more cash.
No to vox amps...IMO there are soo many better options in this price range. And to the guy who recommended the Spider 3...I'm not even gonna comment.

Peavey Ultra - same internals as the XXX but I prefer the 5150 to the XXX
5150 - good amp but I'm worried about a massive hiss at low volumes
Bugera 6260 - I would just on this amp and buy one now but 120watt tube when I can't turn it up...

MatrixClaw - Sure a Nitro is gonna sound good at low volumes but look at the price. So should I go with an SS or tube at this volume? And what other recommendations do you guys have?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
There's also the B-52 AT-112 and Peavey Vypyr (haven't heard anything about this amp yet).

So:
Peavey 5150
Bugera 6260
B-52 AT-112
Peavey Vypyr
Line 6 Flextone
Crate Flextone

Remember this is for low volume.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
MatrixClaw - Sure a Nitro is gonna sound good at low volumes but look at the price. So should I go with an SS or tube at this volume? And what other recommendations do you guys have?

Sure, my amp is a high priced amp, but I've had many other tube amps that sounded great at low volumes as well, such as my Mesa F-30, Peavey 5150 and Mesa Mark IV, to name a few.

The point is, high gain tube amps are meant to sound good at low volumes. The reason they're so high wattage is because massive power tube breakup is a less desired tone in metal, hardrock, etc. as it muddies up your sound. Most gain from a high gain tube amp will come from the preamp and because of this, you don't need to turn it up to ear splitting levels to get good tones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
So a Bugera 6260 would be fine for bedroom levels?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
I have a Marshall AVT275X, which is 150W so can go very, very loud but it has a VERY good volume response. It can play at a lower volume than my MG15DFX can reach, and still keep its quality, so it's an option. If you ever did want to play loud then no problem but you can easily play quietly and have good quality.
I'm a strictly low volume player, usually im at a volume of .75-2 and run two amps simutaniously (sometimes all three) without any issues.....

My Low Volume Bedroom Rig... Warning may scare small children!

Moral of the story, dont be scared of high wattage amps. They all have a volume knob and most have a master volume knob to further tweak your tone. Dont let wattage stop you from buying the amp you want. And dont listen to classic rock guys when it comes to metal. Power tube saturation is good for rock bad for metal. Your gonna want a good bit of preamp saturation to achieve a good tight metal tone. Power tube saturation will just make things creamy and your notes will want to blend together. When was the last time your heard a metal guy say dude that riff was so creamy when they where talking about something br00tal. You want br00talz then get a br00tal amp and set it up like it suppossed to be setup.

And a quick FYI Gojira keeps there volume set at three and thats live
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by axe_thrasher
Tube = **** at low volumes i had several over a two year period and im much happier with a solid state now.

No, the band wagon of SS lovers...

Tube amps sound great at low volumes. Matrix, Ibanez and acdcrocks are posting truth.
Quote by thomaserak
playing soft is for pussies.

Coming from the guy with an MG15......

But still. This is true.
Depends on the definition of 'low volume'.

Ie low volume as in living in a small apartment, or low volume like we live in a house but i have to keep it down in the evening due to my parents.

Roland Cube 30x has a great modern metal tone. Sounds better than my real mesa at bedroom level volume.
Quote by Matt15f
Roland Cube 30x has a great modern metal tone. Sounds better than my real mesa at bedroom level volume.

Maybe a Recto
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Maybe a Recto
Rofl, +134975

Yeah, people on this forum need to really quit treating high wattage tube amps like they are some foreign enslaved race that only a select few can use.

My 5150 and Thunder both sounded good at lower volumes, and even better at higher.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah, like a Spider...

Line 6 Flextone gets my vote.

mine was a christmas present. its not like i asked for it. but it was an improvement from the little 10 watt amp and the crappy distorion pedal i did have.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
Quote by Sakattack75
mine was a christmas present. its not like i asked for it. but it was an improvement from the little 10 watt amp and the crappy distorion pedal i did have.

Fair enough. It's just that you shouldn't have that peace smiley thing next to it unless you like it.
most of these guys are true...tube amps don't sound all that bad at low volumes, they're just a bit "thinner" tonewise than if cranked a bit, but they arent bad sounding, you just need to find your right EQ settings for bedroom use, and the tweakage needed for when gigging

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877

you just need to find your right EQ settings for bedroom use, and the tweakage needed for when gigging

Exactly - it's two different worlds...
i have a valve jr and iv never turned it past half way. its great at low volumes, especially with assorted pedals. it sounds soooooooo much fuller than any SS amp iv played, and its dirt cheap. you will have a ton left over for pedals, or even another guitar.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Fair enough. It's just that you shouldn't have that peace smiley thing next to it unless you like it.

i'm just trying to make peace between us spider users and those spider abusers.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
Quote by thisdude
its a spider, which is =/=good tone.

if its gonna be played in your bedroom, i suggest roland cube.
EDIT: yep, my bad about the tube thing. spider 3 still does suck.

+1

Roland Cube, 30W would be sufficient for a bedroom setting, and you can get some good tones out of it.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

And a quick FYI Gojira keeps there volume set at three and thats live

Awesome!
Thanks for the replies, to the guy that mentioned the Blues Jr it is not even close to what I'm looking for.

I'm worried if I go with the Roland Cube I'll get tired of it in a month...same with the Flextone.

The only thing with the Bugera is that it's 120 watts....that's LOUD...and in order to push the tubes it'd have to be turned way up. I'm not sure if I want to stretch my budget for a used 5150 either and from what I've heard it's not really what I'm looking for. The Mesa F-30 is very difficult to find so I don't think I can decide on that aswell as the DC Mesa. The B-52 seems to be a good amp but I'm not sure if this is the route I want to go. I love Yngwie's tone as well as Children of Bodom, Pantera, Dethklok, Metallica, Nevermore, and Slayer. Some of the bands listed are have a little too much distortion and/or are a little harsh but that's just to give an idea.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by MatrixClaw
Maybe a Recto

Thats actually really funny concidering the Cubes amp model is modeled after a recto, LOL
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
The low volume thing is very dependent on how low a volume you are talking about. If you're trying to keep a 100 watt amp at normal speaking levels, it will not sound good, whether tube or solid state, because you're not putting enough out to move the speaker, and the result will be buzzy and muddy.

To me, "bedroom volume" is about as loud as shouting volume. If you buy a high wattage amp, you'll need to turn it up at least a bit. On a 100 watt amp, maybe to 2 or so, which is about as loud as you'll probably be able to get it inside the house, to move the speaker.
Bedroom volume 'to me' is about as loud as a trumpet playing mf - f (forte). I'm still confused as to which route I should go but I know if I don't pull the trigger soon the trigger will never be pulled...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Page 1 of 2