Okay...so I'm looking at buying a nice mixer for my band with 10 mic inputs, so we can put together a nice little PA system. Want to recommend me some nice sounding, lower-end (CHEAP) mics? Here's what we need:

-2 Vocal Mics
-2 Guitar Mics
-1 Bass Mic
-Drums

The drummer has a set with 2 bass drums, 3 toms, 1 floor tom, a snare, plus a ride/crash/splash/hi-hat/china cymbal set up. I'd really like to be able to afford all of this along with the cables and stands, etc, so please no 100 dollar mics. Thanks
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Quote by Afyum
Okay...so I'm looking at buying a nice mixer for my band with 10 mic inputs, so we can put together a nice little PA system. Want to recommend me some nice sounding, lower-end (CHEAP) mics? Here's what we need:

-2 Vocal Mics
-2 Guitar Mics
-1 Bass Mic
-Drums

The drummer has a set with 2 bass drums, 3 toms, 1 floor tom, a snare, plus a ride/crash/splash/hi-hat/china cymbal set up. I'd really like to be able to afford all of this along with the cables and stands, etc, so please no 100 dollar mics. Thanks

I don't think you're going to get drum mics for any LESS than about $100 each. If i'm honest, a whole drumkit mic set up can run you about £750-£1000 (1500-2000 dollars) Vox mics are different, i have 2 that cost me about $80 each. (well, £40 but the way the exchange rate is atm it's around $80)

What did you mean by guitar and bass mics? are you running acoustic guitars and basses?

Ima thinking you might wanna save some more. Plus for drums you're looking at 2 for the snare, 4 for the toms, 2 condenser mics for the bass drums, 5 for the cymbals and 2 overhead mics. That's 15 mics for a drum kit.

Microphoning a drum kit is VERY expensive...
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Sep 2, 2008,
You want all those mics and cables for under 100 dollars? Good luck...
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
You can't just use like 2 overhead mics for drums and be cheap? And no, it's electric guitars and basses, just I'd like to mic them and run them through the PA so we can get a tighter sound.

And no...I meant I didn't want to be buying 10 $100 mics. I'm well aware this is going to cost me alot of money...
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Quote by Afyum
You can't just use like 2 overhead mics for drums and be cheap? And no, it's electric guitars and basses, just I'd like to mic them and run them through the PA so we can get a tighter sound.

And no...I meant I didn't want to be buying 10 $100 mics. I'm well aware this is going to cost me alot of money...

Um... no. Unless you want no bass drum (baring in mind they're mounted like a good 6 foot above you) and you want to sound like a horse dying.

TBH, either splash on them all, or don't get any. You're just wasting time and money if you buy crap ones now.

(I know this is a guitar forum but I am a drummer, I do know what i'm talking about...)
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Oh, I get you now. I thought you wanted the whole lot for 100 dollars there for a minute.

EatShreddies is right, an SM57 works well with guitars bass, and drums (snares and toms and cymbals and such, not too sure about as a bass or overhead).
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
thats a tight budget,,,

$100 mics may sound high in price to noobs however when you look into the rest of the gear used in recording, $100 is nothing...
Welcome to the expensive world of recording...

I would use two overheads and two kick mics for the drums. The MXL 991s work well for overheads if you can find a pair on ebay. An Audix F14 would work for your kicks.

For live vocals the SM58 Shure mics are great. The 57s are very similar but work best on guitar cabs.

Use another kick drum mic for the bass cab or just DI
+1 Moody

Only.... did you really mean to say 2 kick mics? Or just one?

You can go ultra-cheap on the drum overheads in the name of Behringer ECM8000's, which are actually really decent overhead mics - particularly given the price.

However... to get a rock sound.... you need to do close miking. That means lots of mics on the kit. BARE minimum - kick, snare, and two overheads. If you want the drums to sound 'in your face', then you HAVE to get the mics right in the drums' faces. It's as simple as that.

A pair of room mics would be my first choice for a jazz kit or something where you want that 'roomy' sound, but for rock... no.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.