Greetings,

I've been using reaper for a few days and getting the basics of recording down. Still having big problems with volume , and a related + general problem with virtual amps.

Are there some good free or cheap virtual amps folks would recommend? Right now I have 3 free amps:

1. amplitube 2.0 demo. Has an American and British amp, most of which sound like ass.
2. Sound Devil British Custom Valve. Sounds cool but isn't always the sound I want.
3. GT player express. Came with my M-audio fast track usb, pretty much complete ass.

I'm a little frustrated because as it stands I get better sound and sound quality from just cranking my roland microcube and putting the mic in front of it. If I want a sort of "acoustic" sound (no or very low distortion) I'm screwed w these virtual amps I have atm.

I saw someone mention guitarrig at one point... but this is $330 software. For that price I would buy a freaking real amp ><

If it was like $30-40 I could maybe see paying, if it was great software. I already spent $100 on the USB convertor so dropping another $150 or something is pretty stupid as I already spent $280 on a real amp (microcube) :/

Also is it just me or there is no way to have this virtual amp stuff actually play through my computer speakers? It has a 2-3 second delay everytime I've tried which is impossible to play with, so the only use of this software is to record onto computer. And it does kind of suck not being able to hear your playing when you're recording ><
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
The only amp sim I can recommend is GTR by Waves. I was very surprised by the sound quality. Everything else you can tell is digital. You can pick up GTR at Musician's Friend for like $100.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I've just bought the m-audio fast track pro, didn't quite like the bundled software. Then i tried it with guitar rig. Completely blown away, amazing sound.

The problem you are having is with latency so maybe use a smaller sampling on the control panel the device gives you, should be by your clock and task panel (an arrow facing right). mess around with that and your sound will be awesome.

The whole idea behind the virtual amps and stuff is to cater for home recording and get a great sound while doing so. The clarity is ultra pure (except if u have a crt screen and sitting right in front of it while playing) and you can play it back thru your hifi or amp for reference. Right now I'm sending it out via the headphone monitoring to the amp. Pretty amazing.

Sort out the asio drivers and you'll start smiling cos having to mic an amp is hard enough when you have neighbours and family members around who can get irritated easily.

I have yet to try amplitude but i soon will... upon doing so i'll update this reply.

I could even go one further and say in a few days time i'll upload a track done with guitar rig so you can hear the quality. Let me know if that interests you
I've uploaded a track, the title gives it away. It's not a perfect take, just wanted you to hear the sound of GR3. I've only used the ultrasonic preset. The rhythm is with the ultrasonic 4x12 cab and the lead is with the tweedman 4x12 cab. No crit needed for the playing as it is just a demo.

Hope its enjoyed... later
Quote by evolucian
I've just bought the m-audio fast track pro, didn't quite like the bundled software. Then i tried it with guitar rig. Completely blown away, amazing sound.

Agree bundled software sucks. I was looking at guitar rig 3... http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Native-Instruments-GUITAR-RIG-3-XE-FULL?sku=703277 is $99 which isn't too outrageous... but there's something else that costs more like $300 - so not sure if the $100 deal is worth it or if this would suck? Which do you have? I really can't justify $300 for some software to dink around with recording songs in my spare time ><

The problem you are having is with latency so maybe use a smaller sampling on the control panel the device gives you, should be by your clock and task panel (an arrow facing right). mess around with that and your sound will be awesome.

Pretty sure I've altered this before to give me lowest latency possible but doesn't seem to make any difference. Downloaded ASIO4ALL but it made it impossible to record guitar in Reaper :/ Hoping someone can resolve this for me as not hearing what I play as I play it is a bit annoying.

The whole idea behind the virtual amps and stuff is to cater for home recording and get a great sound while doing so. The clarity is ultra pure (except if u have a crt screen and sitting right in front of it while playing) and you can play it back thru your hifi or amp for reference. Right now I'm sending it out via the headphone monitoring to the amp. Pretty amazing.

The playback setup you are suggesting here would turn my room into a mountain of cables :p I'd need guitar to pedal (if I want the effect), pedal to amp (for gain), amp to M-audio, m-audio back to amp (headphone out to audio in)! I just want the bloody thing to play through my computer speakers, which are pretty darn good quality and probably better than my amp!

Sort out the asio drivers and you'll start smiling cos having to mic an amp is hard enough when you have neighbours and family members around who can get irritated easily.

This is the thing I don't get... lots of people have said get ASIO4ALL... but then when I go into reaper and select ASIO4ALL I lose all my other drop down menus to pick input/output and can't get my guitar to do anything... maybe I should make a screenshot to explain if this seems odd.

I have yet to try amplitude but i soon will... upon doing so i'll update this reply.

Let me know if you do, especially if you have the gain problems I do. The freeware parts included with reaper are mostly useless unless I rig my practice amp for gain, because the overall volume is just waaay too low. even with volume most of the presets here sound like absolute garbage.

I could even go one further and say in a few days time i'll upload a track done with guitar rig so you can hear the quality. Let me know if that interests you

Had a listen, sounds pretty good... question remains though about price of GR!
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
No idea about asio4all... I'm running xp sp3 and was disappointed that the drivers that came with the box don't work so i downloaded the new drivers for em on their site.

This is how i set mine up: The rca jacks on output (on the module) go to the pc's soundcard line in. the usb to usb. then the line out on the soundcard goes to your monitors (whereas mine goes to the hifi). Then i just plug the guitar straight into the fast track pro. Thats 3 cables as such (rca, usb and instrument cable). The amp's monitoring is only an extra, not essential unless you going to take it live.

The 2 prices you mentioned could be that one is the software whereas the other is the software with the rig controller pedal. I have another pedal i'm going to use instead of the rig controller just as soon as i've bought a midi cable (which will plug into the back of the fast track pro).

Minimal setup. PM me if you would like some more info. hope this helps, enjoy
Do you plan on doing live stuff? It may be best to get a multi-effects pedal, as many come with good amp models. Zoom's are very well priced, and sound great (I have a G2.1u personally). There's also iZotope Trash if you want to tweak out your guitar sound.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Really just looking for a decent setup so I can record songs to my computer, no intentions of playing anything live in the immediate-medium term (other than maybe on my acoustic at parties or for friends!).

I was recording guitar+vocals at the same time in real time through my computer mic, then wanted to improve it a bit and add more stuff so I bought the m-audio fast track - but getting a good sound with this is a lot harder than I expected! I don't want/need anymore hardware atm, just want to be able to record songs with the right software to get something that sounds at least as good as what I can get out of my frigging practice amp ><

Assuming the rig-controller-pedal is a piece of hardware for using the software live?
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
i don't wanna take it live just yet. my setup works for me at the moment and i have an old yamaha rackmount if i need more sounds. personally i've never liked zoom... they always had this trashy sound like a metal zone pedal (no offence meant to anyone with it).

But when i get a mac lite or something similar i'll attempt it (i'll make sure its a small gig) and if its viable i'll go for it. Alot less to carry around in the end but its all heresay for now

To Aitrus: the rig controller is basically a floorboard used to control it instead of using the mouse. Any midi footpedal should work according to the manual. So it gives you realtime control of effects, etc.

And i've just experimented with the dimebag preset, the whammy pedal is killer!!
Last edited by evolucian at Oct 1, 2008,