i was wondering... so how much do they get? before they split the money between each other
Depends entirely on how much it is selling for and how many copies they sell.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Although, now a days, you're lucky to sell music at all with limewire and bittorrent. Most money is made by touring and selling merch.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
probably like less than £1
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
I think with and indie lable its about 40% and major about 15-20%

This is an estimate by the way and probably wrong
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
depends how big the band are, what label and so on.

but i can say with certainty that bands get most of their money from touring + merch
Indie label? Generally 50%
Major Label? 5% ish It's a matter of pence, certainly, though it will change depending on your deal.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
not much unless you have a guy like Lars Ulrich then he will do anything to get his band more money......anything.....
"I'm no professah!"
~Henry Rollins
Quote by Rocker_94
They don't make much. All the money they make is through touring.

WHere does this come from?

It's not like record lables go 'aye, we'll rape you on album sales... but you can keep your merch sales!' The record company takes their cut of everything and so what you make from your touring is entirely subective. Green day don't make thier money on touring, they make it on album sales. Metallica don't make thier money on touring, they make it on album sales. Indie bands simply don't make money and for the 'inbetween' bands it simply depends what their following is like.
If you're trying to support the band, go see them in concert.

Buy CD's to support the record company, go to concerts to support the band.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by meh!

It's not like record lables go 'aye, we'll rape you on album sales... but you can keep your merch sales!' The record company takes their cut of everything and so what you make from your touring is entirely subective. Green day don't make thier money on touring, they make it on album sales. Metallica don't make thier money on touring, they make it on album sales. Indie bands simply don't make money and for the 'inbetween' bands it simply depends what their following is like.

What about the money the venues pay them to play?
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
What about the money the venues pay them to play?

For proper bands generally the band's promoter or other employee of the record company arranges for a split of the ticket sales the the venue. The venue doesn't 'pay' the bands. There is no money that the band makes that the record company does not take its share of. The only reason that gigs are coming back as a viable way to make money (they went seriously out frmo the end of the 90s) is because of donwloading and the impact that has had on band's CD sales.
Quote by meh!
For proper bands generally the band's promoter or other employee of the record company arranges for a split of the ticket sales the the venue. The venue doesn't 'pay' the bands. There is no money that the band makes that the record company does not take its share of. The only reason that gigs are coming back as a viable way to make money (they went seriously out frmo the end of the 90s) is because of donwloading and the impact that has had on band's CD sales.

I see. I wonder what would happen if a bigger band, as you put it a proper band, did everything for free? Free merch, CDs, shows, etc. I wonder how much they'd make in donations in comparison to the percentage they'd get as part of a record deal.
We're only strays.
lol I didn't mean 'proper band' like that, I just mean to talk about bands as in those that have offical record deals. As opposed ot teenagers getting thirty quid off a pub.

And I don't know. Radiohead didn't do very well though.
Quote by meh!

Actually....no. The record companies don't own the band name (at least if the band was smart they shouldnt) so all the band has to do is pay a merch company X amount of money for X amount of merch and the band keeps the profits.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by angus is god
Actually....no. The record companies don't own the band name (at least if the band was smart they shouldnt) so all the band has to do is pay a merch company X amount of money for X amount of merch and the band keeps the profits.

Except that would in all likelihood violate the contract between the band and the record company.
Quote by angus is god

I can't speak for companies everywhere but most labels i've heard of will demand their percentage of those proceeds in any sort of deal or simply sign a deal with someone else. There's no shortage of bands.
It depends on your label and contract, but you don't get very much per sale on majors.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions

of pennies
Quote by Max-Roach
billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions

of pennies

Thats still a hell of alot of money, you know that right?
Quote by MrP
Except that would in all likelihood violate the contract between the band and the record company.

Only

A: if the record company owned the band name and or logo
B: If the band were trying to sell CD's on their own

if you have the copyright to your band name or logo, you can basically do what you want outside of the CD business.

But, y'know it all depends on what the contract is, I'm just going off what my cousin told me when he got signed to a reasonably well known company. Razor and Tie? I think thats what it was called.

Buuuuuuut, you could also start your own label. A large percent of failure, but if it works, you would not only get ALL of your money, but also get a good sum from other bands.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by crazykid3000
Thats still a hell of alot of money, you know that right?

Well that may be, but what were not addressing is the amount of children dieing in Africa........

*awkward silence*.....

*shuffles towards exit*