Poll: Do you own Music Theory books?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you own Music Theory books?
No, too much work.
3 4%
No, I play by ear.
1 1%
No, but I'd like to.
12 16%
No, I studied music theory online.
9 12%
Yes, one.
17 22%
Yes, more than one.
29 38%
Yes, I have a huge collection of reference material.
6 8%
Voters: 77.
Did you find them useful? Did you become better at improvising? Do you find composing songs a breeze thanks to scales?
I use theory to relate what I am doing to what other people are doing when talking to them. When I am making music I do not specifically worry about the theory behind what I am doing, I do it by flow, but may look it over and use the theory to change the "bad" parts.
I own quite a few music related books and sheet music. Its a bit of an obsession with me.

To understand theory is to write better basslines and makes the process a bit more efficient.
It also gives you a common framework to discuss music with other musicians. Its like learning a language; knowing the constructs of good grammar helps you to write and speak better. The same is with music.
I learned to improvise before I knew notes.
I learned chords and notes and became interested in more theory.
I bought Bass Guitar for dummies and read it once or twice and didnt put much thought in it.
I took AP Music Theory in high school and got a book for it.
I bought a book for my college music theory exam.
I have a college music theory book now, and will probably get another one for a different theory class next semester.

so. yeah. take that as you will.
They help if you understand what it says / have a friend or teacher.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Am i the only person on this forum who plays by ear?
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly

I played guitar by ear for years, but the problem with playing by ear for bass is that it can be hard to hear. Sometimes I find it hard to even hear myself beneath the wall of guitars in some practices so I have to guess if I'm in the right key.

I end up compensating by trying to look at what the guitarists hands are doing. Doesn't always work. And the guitarist doesn't always like being stared at.
Playing by ear is not the same as knowing what your doing.

People can reproduce sounds by ear all they want, but it does not matter if they do not know what their doing when writing or if someone tells them to play X augmented or in Xminor.
Quote by wouldyakindly

Are you proud of being ignorant of an area of music or...? Personally, my ear isn't as strong as it should be as far as transcribing (well, next to useless for that), but when I'm playing I use my ear a lot, mixed with a lot of theory. The two things aren't separate. They're best used when mixed together. There's no down side to knowing theory.
Quote by TormentedRx
Playing by ear is not the same as knowing what your doing.

People can reproduce sounds by ear all they want, but it does not matter if they do not know what their doing when writing or if someone tells them to play X augmented or in Xminor.

+1

There is actually a stack of five theory books right next to me...gathering dust as I'm too much of a wimp and a laz-about to pick 'em up and figure this **** out. I hate myself as a bass player...I really disappoint myself.
Quote by goest
+1

There is actually a stack of five theory books right next to me...gathering dust as I'm too much of a wimp and a laz-about to pick 'em up and figure this **** out. I hate myself as a bass player...I really disappoint myself.

I should have added "Yes, but too much work" to the poll.
I don't have a book, but it is offered as a course at my school. It's nice.
Don't want to steal the thread, but can anyone reccomend a book.series of books that would help me learn theory. I want to learn but don't know where to start and I sure as hell ain't paying for lessons
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Quote by |Heretic|
Don't want to steal the thread, but can anyone reccomend a book.series of books that would help me learn theory. I want to learn but don't know where to start and I sure as hell ain't paying for lessons

Here
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14597115&postcount=203

and here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14597115&postcount=204

and if you can't find what looks to be of use to you on those posts, post back, I can probably recommend a good half dozen other books as well.
I've always known how to read music (and obv. tab) so i've never found learning theory all that complicated. I have trained my ear to help me in learning songs - but thats usually just to find where the songs played and the rest i can figure out thanks to my theory knowledge... all you lazy people should pick up a book - it's useless to be good at something you know nothing about:P almost as impractical as owning a car but not knowing how to put gas in it lol
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
I bought an "Idiots Guide" to Music Theory which I found really helpful. I never "studied" music theory as such, but as I've learned instruments I've refered to the theory book to help me understand concepts.

Eventually I'd pretty much read the whole book in dribs and drabs.
Quote by wouldyakindly

well, I use a mix. knowing scales etc. makes guessing stuff alot easier.
I have a few theory books and I kept all my theory packages/worksheets from music class.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?