Ok, here is a problem i'm having and has been having for a LONG time........

When im alternate picking while palm muting, it ends sloppily. Hard to explain without being able to show what i mean but if im alternate picking while palm muting my downstrokes usually break the rhythm. I was always thinking that maybe im tightening my hand to much or perhaps too loose. I've tried many different ways of strumming to make this problem less noticeable but i just came on to ask if anyone else experienced a problem like this when they started playing metal riffs and such. Also, whats the BEST way to practice this particular technique? Some riffs that i can say off the top of my head to show what type of songs im playing are:

- Bullet for my Valentine - Scream aim fire (Intro/post-chorus riff)
- Bullet for my Valentine - Waking the (Demon Intro/verse)
- A7X - Trashed and scattered (Verses)
- A7X - Second Heartbeat (2nd Verse)

I was also wondering if the thickness of the strings i use may play a factor (Like if thicker strings are easier to palm mute fast) and the pick (I use very thin nylon flexible picks).

Thanks in advance, i only posted because i've been rigorously practicing this and wondered if any1 else ran into the same problem and if so, what they did to help them learn better.

~Sele
dont use those flexible picks. i cant use them at all. when i use them everything gets all sloppy. kinda like your problem
i have this problem too! i'm not a metal guitarist so it doesn't really affect my playing but it's quite frustrating.

i think how you hold your pick has the most to do with it. I hold mine with thumb, index, and middle. I find that if I hold it with just 2 fingers, while I can't play like that, it makes it alot easier. Some even hold a pick with the thumb and the side of their index finger.

It's also easier with slacker strings, i.e. tuned to half step, etc.

Good luck bro!
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
tilt the pick a little so u kinda scratch the string...when combined with palm muting it sounds chunky yet sharp..try
Yeah i suffered really badly with this, i think it was This Love by Pantera (the fast alternate picked bit after 2nd chorus).

Moving my picking hands thumb away from the guitar body slightly seemed to help with the timing, I had the same problem as you, I'd downpick and then up-pick but seem to rush the next downpick.

I think the best bet is to either do it slowly (the obvious solution) or like i did, downpick, move hand away from strings, up-pick (not technically palm muting but it helped to learn) then downpick.

Sounds weird but it worked for me. Good luck!

EDIT:

Dont use soft picks! It makes it much harder and makes your picking hand work even harder.
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
Try and play looser, you don't have to keep your hand in one position the whole time, move it around and also don't over-analyze your technique, just try and play naturally, I find it makes the problem much worse if you think about it too much.
Well if your playing downtuned and are using thin strings/picks it's definately gonna be a problem. Try getting thicker picks. I use picks anywhere from medium gauge to extra heavy
Wow guys, thanks ALOT for the advice and feedback, i'm going to practice this tonight and see how well it goes

Thanks again!!

~Sele
Play slower. If you are having trouble its most likley because your rushing and never practiced well enough. Play one of those riffs way slowed down and make sure your rythem is dead on and your mutes are even on up and downs. then speed it back up slowly only as fast as you can play cleanly and accuratly. Your pick and strings are excuses and not the real problem (use whats comfortable for you but dont think this is your problem). Practice slower and cleaner and then your hands will learn to do it right.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Play slower. If you are having trouble its most likley because your rushing and never practiced well enough. Play one of those riffs way slowed down and make sure your rythem is dead on and your mutes are even on up and downs. then speed it back up slowly only as fast as you can play cleanly and accuratly. Your pick and strings are excuses and not the real problem (use whats comfortable for you but dont think this is your problem). Practice slower and cleaner and then your hands will learn to do it right.

Thanks, i think you're right, i'll practice that much more.
Use around .85mm picks. Start of real slow. Progressively get it faster. A lot of people hold their picks diagonal/sideways, try that. I do. As soon as I started doing it alternate picking came right to me, now I can pick sideways and flat with the strings.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
i use jazz IIIs and they make it so much easier for tight sounding picking AND pinch harmonics come like piss...so yeah picks play an important role but ALWAYS experiment with the amount of muting ur giving it AND with which part of ur hand u mute....sounds dumb but trust me...perfect ur picking hand and u open lots of doors.

i have a weak fretting hand....
Picks is a matter of personal preferance. You guys shouldn't prescribe what you use to others. Thats like telling someone to use your glasses or wear your shoe size or to eat what you like for dinner. What ever he finds best through his own trial and error is what he should use not what you find best.
Go for thicker picks (0.90) and you could also try thicker strings (if you play dropped-D tuning, maybe a .050 for the sixth string).

And by the way, the intro/verse for waking the demon is not alternate picking. It's all downpicking combinated with pull offs. I read it in an interview to Padge, here in UG