Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good tube amp for home practicing with a fair amount of gain, I guess I'll need 5-15w...

I'm playing classic rock, blues, but also heavy rock and death metal sometimes.

Therefore I need something quite versatile.

Money isn't an issue.

Any help with that ?
Krank Rev Jr half stack

Even better...

Randall MTS Series RM20 15W Guitar Amp Head and pick you up some modules... Just be warned metal wont sound its tightest and greatest with a small wattage head.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 2, 2008,
blackheart combo
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
blackheart combo

For death metal?

Not even with an OD broski.

Like IbanezPsycho said, look into the Krank Rev Junior.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
For death metal?

Not even with an OD broski.

Like IbanezPsycho said, look into the Krank Rev Junior.

Is it ok for blues, some classic rock and clean ballads too ?
If you really meant this "Money isn't an issue." Dont go with a Blackheart...

If your lieing and only have about $200-$300 bucks to spend then ya its decent for blues, some classic rock and clean ballads.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
If you really meant this "Money isn't an issue." Dont go with a Blackheart...

If your lieing and only have about $200-$300 bucks to spend then ya its decent for blues, some classic rock and clean ballads.

Lol. I'm meant it when I said "Money isn't an issue." Lying is totally useless when creating such a topic.

Though, I'm obvisouly not going to pay more than 1k$ for a practice amp...
Quote by slappyx
Lol. I'm meant it when I said "Money isn't an issue." Lying is totally useless when creating such a topic.

Though, I'm obvisouly not going to pay more than 1k$ for a practice amp...

Im just checkin.... Because that phrase gets thrown around alot on here.

Ill give you a perfect example...

TS: I want the best metal amp for the br00talz money isn't an issue I want the best.
Users: Diezel Herbert
TS: How much is it?
Users: $4300 just for the head no cab
TS: What the hell thats to expensive what can I get for $500 bucks....

That happens way to often lol

So im just checkin to make sure your legit lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 2, 2008,
Damn, I was gonna say Blackstar Artisan Series 15... Just out of budget at $1500.
Used F-30? Randall RG50tc? Used XXX JSX or Ultra?
Quote by gregs1020
Damn, I was gonna say Blackstar Artisan Series 15... Just out of budget at $1500.
Used F-30? Randall RG50tc? Used XXX JSX or Ultra?

Lol I'm not gigging... I'm going to kill my neighbours and family with those amps.
I need a low wattage amp to suit a house practice... unless I can put volume to 0.01

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Im just checkin.... Because that phrase gets thrown around alot on here.

Ill give you a perfect example...

TS: I want the best metal amp for the br00talz money isn't an issue I want the best.
Users: Diezel Herbert
TS: How much is it?
Users: $4300 just for the head no cab
TS: What the hell thats to expensive what can I get for $500 bucks....

That happens way to often lol

So im just checkin to make sure your legit lol

To quote back IbanezPsycho, I said that money wasn't an issue because I know in 99% of the time, those amp do not have sky high, unreachable prices...
I'm not asking for a Mesa Boogie, Soldano or Diezel stuff right here.

Just asking for a SMALL, VERSATILE, overall GOOD SOUNDING tube amp.
Last edited by slappyx at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by slappyx
Lol I'm not gigging... I'm going to kill my neighbours and family with those amps.
I need a low wattage amp to suit a house practice... unless I can put volume to 0.01

To quote back IbanezPsycho, I said that money wasn't an issue because I know in 99% of the time, those amp do not have sky high, unreachable prices...
I'm not asking for a Mesa Boogie, Soldano or Diezel stuff right here.

Actually theres quite a few that are unreachable . And the Krank Rev Jr. is $600+ so it is getting close to that $1000 mark. Im not trying to be a pain just stating that the phrase is used pretty loosely around here.

Check out some sound clips of the Krank online its probably the most versatile all around small wattage tube amp on the market at a decent price. Better would be a Randall MTS but your looking at $1000+ for that one with some modules.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by slappyx

This comes up almost every day. Well, when you add "death metal" into the equation it creates an issue. Truth be told, at low volumes, practice volumes in a family setting, your better off with a MicroCube.
Tube amps, well "all tube" tube amps generally aren't as versatile as SS or hybrid amps. Tube amps tend to be one trick ponies, geared towards a specific genre. "Death Metal" amps are higher wattage to get enough preamp saturation at lower volume and not power tube saturation. So you don't see many low watt "death metal" amps. Hard rock/classic rock uses power tube saturation to generate some of the tones/textures. So they are set up much differently from the "death metal" amps. There are a few attempts lower wattage metal amps, the JSX Mini Colossal, the Ibanez Valbee, maybe the VK Royal 8 are a few off the top of my head. Not sure on the Valbee, I have not had the pleasure. But at 15 watts you have the Orange Tiny Terror, Krank Rev Jr options. I guess in short, pfft, it's the addition of metal into the equation that makes the low wattage tube part tough.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Actually theres quite a few that are unreachable . And the Krank Rev Jr. is $600+ so it is getting close to that $1000 mark. Im not trying to be a pain just stating that the phrase is used pretty loosely around here.

Check out some sound clips of the Krank online its probably the most versatile all around small wattage tube amp on the market at a decent price. Better would be a Randall MTS but your looking at $1000+ for that one with some modules.

Thanks for your participation. I know some are really expensive but statisticly speaking i'm right : very few amps reach the 1k$ barrier in low wattage amps unless we go into high end brands or boutique brands of course.

Quote by gregs1020
This comes up almost every day. Well, when you add "death metal" into the equation it creates an issue. Truth be told, at low volumes, practice volumes in a family setting, your better off with a MicroCube.
Tube amps, well "all tube" tube amps generally aren't as versatile as SS or hybrid amps. Tube amps tend to be one trick ponies, geared towards a specific genre. "Death Metal" amps are higher wattage to get enough preamp saturation at lower volume and not power tube saturation. So you don't see many low watt "death metal" amps. Hard rock/classic rock uses power tube saturation to generate some of the tones/textures. So they are set up much differently from the "death metal" amps. There are a few attempts lower wattage metal amps, the JSX Mini Colossal, the Ibanez Valbee, maybe the VK Royal 8 are a few off the top of my head. Not sure on the Valbee, I have not had the pleasure. But at 15 watts you have the Orange Tiny Terror, Krank Rev Jr options. I guess in short, pfft, it's the addition of metal into the equation that makes the low wattage tube part tough.

I understand what you are saying, I was just stating that "sometimes" I played death metal, which means I need something to sound decent in that genre not something extraordinary and totally metal-voiced.

What about the Fender SuperChamp XD btw ? I do hear a lot of ppl talking about it but don't really know if it is worth...?
Quote by slappyx

What about the Fender SuperChamp XD btw ? I do hear a lot of ppl talking about it but don't really know if it is worth...?

I played once recently and was impressed. For $299 it's a good all rounder, has nice cleans etc. They pop up on craigslist from time to time for $200. If you like it, it's worth it. I didn't try to get "annihilate a small country black throbbing death" metal on it so I can't say how it does there. LOL.
Quote by gregs1020
I played once recently and was impressed. For $299 it's a good all rounder, has nice cleans etc. They pop up on craigslist from time to time for $200. If you like it, it's worth it. I didn't try to get "annihilate a small country black throbbing death" metal on it so I can't say how it does there. LOL.

lol... ok I'll try one soon I think... my local guitar shop doesn't have the tiny terror or krank rev though... who knows why

This shop is a total crime, it sells Fender Standard MIA strat for 1750€ =($2534) saying list price is 2200€... I just go there to try out some gear but to buy just forget it :s internet is my friend there.