Page 5 of 25
Quote by the_astronaut
Still cannot get into this band at all. I thought they might be growers, but no.

I listened to about half of the 59 Sound and was like "Why am I doing this?"
I gave it about a month and after going away for a weekend, I gave it a third chance and loved it. Try it next time you have to take the bus at night.
Once I got used to the production, that album became one of my favorites. That's actually the only thing that turned me off about it.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
they only had like a week, cut them some slack
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
Quote by brucehead
they only had like a week, cut them some slack

To record? That is plenty of time if you have the whole album completely worked
(to mix and master, however, that would be tricky, but then that wouldn't constitute the word 'they' unless they were the ones who did those tasks).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
To record? That is plenty of time if you have the whole album completely worked
(to mix and master, however, that would be tricky, but then that wouldn't constitute the word 'they' unless they were the ones who did those tasks).

my bad Ted Hutt (who worked on the Warped Tour) produced it
on a side note, you and i have nearly the exact same gear
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Last edited by element4433 at Apr 9, 2009,
I actually think that the production on The 59 Sound was way better than on Sink or Swim after you get over the vocal delay.
Quote by brucehead
my bad Ted Hutt (who worked on the Warped Tour) produced it
on a side note, you and i have nearly the exact same gear

What do you have?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
What do you have?

I got Digitech XSW, Line 6 Echo Park, Boss DD-6, and the Acoustic B200
I seen them April first here in Detroit at St.Andrews hall. Amazing show. Brian had a cold war kids shirt on =D
Follow me on twitter and junk @GodDammitZack
Seeing them on tuesday!!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by Kurasuke
I saw them on the 16th and loved it.

yeah over at slims?

i thought their set was awesome as always, but the crowd to me seemed kind of... popish if you understand what i mean. Basically you could tell the "punk" fans from the myspace popish fans. My reasoning, those who raised their fist/finger in the air and sang along (like myself and about 10-15 other people that I could see) seemed to take the show for what it was, a show. As opposed to the more pop loving fans, who looked like they forced themselves to get over excited, and jumped around out of the song tempo and swung their heads around like little school girls, and probably bragged about the show as if it were a concert. Which don't get me wrong, I'm all for expressing ones self, but I think if you have to force anything, you should at least question why you do so...

i also heard that they couldn't play their reno show cause brian got a busted throat and had to fix it by resting.
Originally posted by baddewd
^Loser.

baddewd's talking about me!
i'm seeing them at a theater-esque place in baltimore may 7, its gonna be awesome
I wish I could see them live, but at the point it seems like there is a huge number of posturing bro douchebags at the shows. That said, the "Live at Park Ave" 10" is one of the best live albums I've heard in a long time.
ah i've been looking for that 10 inch? what record store did you get that off of?
^Loser.

Quote by nuw buddy
ah i've been looking for that 10 inch? what record store did you get that off of?
It was a Record Store Day exclusive.

If anybody has one and wants to sell it, I will buy it (depending on the price).
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
well i know that, but my local record stores don't seem to have it.
^Loser.

Yeah they only printed a certain amount for the Record Store Day celebrations. I don't think there will be any more.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Oh my gosh. The show was fantastic.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by nuw buddy
yeah over at slims?

i thought their set was awesome as always, but the crowd to me seemed kind of... popish if you understand what i mean. Basically you could tell the "punk" fans from the myspace popish fans. My reasoning, those who raised their fist/finger in the air and sang along (like myself and about 10-15 other people that I could see) seemed to take the show for what it was, a show. As opposed to the more pop loving fans, who looked like they forced themselves to get over excited, and jumped around out of the song tempo and swung their heads around like little school girls, and probably bragged about the show as if it were a concert. Which don't get me wrong, I'm all for expressing ones self, but I think if you have to force anything, you should at least question why you do so...

Yeah I had this guy next to me that was too into it. The kind of guy that was hurting it for the people around it. I've never been one for acting true punx at shows. I sing along to the lyrics as best I can, I raise my fist from time to time. They really aren't that kind of band though. Also- I was on a sprained ankle so I couldn't get TOO into it. Still really enjoyed their set. What did you think of the Heartless Bastards and a Death in the Family?
I didn't really care for either but neither were too awful.
Quote by Kurasuke
Yeah I had this guy next to me that was too into it. The kind of guy that was hurting it for the people around it. I've never been one for acting true punx at shows. I sing along to the lyrics as best I can, I raise my fist from time to time. They really aren't that kind of band though. Also- I was on a sprained ankle so I couldn't get TOO into it. Still really enjoyed their set. What did you think of the Heartless Bastards and a Death in the Family?
I didn't really care for either but neither were too awful.

I was actually really happy to see a death in the family. I found out about them when I bought the leatherface tribute compilation at a chuck ragan show back in the late 2007 early 08 and ever since then I've bought all there music. I was probably the only one singing along to all their songs, and adrian (the bald guy filling in for their other guitarist, jamie) was the only one to notice that, then after the show i hung out with atom (the really blond left handed guitarist) and matt the drummer until slims kicked me out. They are really an awesome band...

heartless bastards, i really could care less for. their female guitarist sucked horribly, since she only played a b5 to e5 chord progression the whole night and strummed with her elbow, and not her wrists. the bassist sucked horribly as well. the only thing interesting about him were his pedoglasses. i don't know, but i think their drummer and other guitarist were the only interesting ones especially when they pulled out the slide.
^Loser.

Heartless Bastards couldn't really hold my attention. Too slow, too repetitive. But not horrible.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by nuw buddy
I was actually really happy to see a death in the family. I found out about them when I bought the leatherface tribute compilation at a chuck ragan show back in the late 2007 early 08 and ever since then I've bought all there music. I was probably the only one singing along to all their songs, and adrian (the bald guy filling in for their other guitarist, jamie) was the only one to notice that, then after the show i hung out with atom (the really blond left handed guitarist) and matt the drummer until slims kicked me out. They are really an awesome band...

heartless bastards, i really could care less for. their female guitarist sucked horribly, since she only played a b5 to e5 chord progression the whole night and strummed with her elbow, and not her wrists. the bassist sucked horribly as well. the only thing interesting about him were his pedoglasses. i don't know, but i think their drummer and other guitarist were the only interesting ones especially when they pulled out the slide.

I liked the bassists tone. The drummer was actually really great.
I liked A Death in the Family more but I showed up late (commute from North Bay) so I couldn't really get into them.
a guy came into my work today wearing a gaslight anthem shirt. i complimented on it and we had a little convo about the band. he went to the same rise against show that they opened for as i did! it was great. he also saw brian play a solo acoustic act that i didnt go to. it was the highlight of my day. i dont know if thats good or bad but these guys destroy
i saw them in baltimore and they did an incredible cover of "Left of the Dial"
what genre would you put gaslight into? im not sure. They sound bluesy but have a little punk sound. and Great Expectations is a great song
you're about right, melodic bluesy folk punk/rock would be my best way to describe them.
^Loser.

I was listening to "Sweet Music" by the Yardbirds today, and thinking it would be a cool song for Gaslight to cover. Random thought.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Last edited by JesusOfSbrbia at Jun 18, 2009,
Quote by fake_sk8r182
Very random, but I can hear it. I think Gaslight'd lose the backing vocal in the verses too (which would be for the better).

I want new music from Gaslight. Already...

Brian said on his Myspace that he's putting his solo on hold because there's new Gaslight material later in the year

And a split with Chuck Ragan...next month I believe.

I want to go see them live again, I still have vivid memory of the December show
Quote by nuw buddy
you're about right, melodic bluesy folk punk/rock would be my best way to describe them.

why are they in the pop punk/emo section then?
Think it was just easier, plus this forum is better than the other ones >_>

Some more notes on the Split/New material:

"SideOneDummy Records has announced plans to release a new split featuring Chuck Ragan of Hot Water Music and Brian Fallon of Gaslight Anthem. The record is titled Gospel Songs and is due out July 21, 2009.

This double A-Side Split 7” features the track “Glory" from Chuck Ragan’s new full-length album due out September 8. The other side features Brian Fallon’s “Tin Pan Alley.” "

and:

"I'm working on the next Gaslight Anthem record right now, and that's my first priority, however, I'm noticing that as the songs come along they fall into two categories, which as you can imagine, one pile for Gaslight, one pile for this endeavor. This is actually making things a lot easier on me because the songs are making themselves obvious where they want to go according to the record we, The Gaslight Anthem, have decided to make. So right now the plan is to finish the writing of 40 songs, I have a really good friend who said the best thing, "Every songwriter has an average of about one in four songs being amazing." so, with my brain, that said, "write forty songs, choose ten." In between though there are songs like "Tin Pan Alley" coming out which don't fit the next Gaslight record, so they go here, when I'm done I should have two records ready. I can say that I feel very strongly that there will be a new Gaslight record before I do anything of my own, but I may release some singles or 7" or something, we'll see. I'll do a record by myself when the time is right."

Happy times ahead, aslong as it's followed by a tour, preferably with 2 Scottish dates, one in Glasgow and one in Edinburgh
Quote by assman69
why are they in the pop punk/emo section then?

I dunno, the Jonas Brothers aren't pop punk or emo either, and yet here they are. If I had to pick a different place to discuss Gaslight, it would be the Punk forum, but that wouldn't quite fit either. And I doubt they'd get much attention in Modern Rock.

Quote by Cadj
"SideOneDummy Records has announced plans to release a new split featuring Chuck Ragan of Hot Water Music and Brian Fallon of Gaslight Anthem. The record is titled Gospel Songs and is due out July 21, 2009.

This double A-Side Split 7” features the track “Glory" from Chuck Ragan’s new full-length album due out September 8. The other side features Brian Fallon’s “Tin Pan Alley.” "

and:

"I'm working on the next Gaslight Anthem record right now, and that's my first priority, however, I'm noticing that as the songs come along they fall into two categories, which as you can imagine, one pile for Gaslight, one pile for this endeavor. This is actually making things a lot easier on me because the songs are making themselves obvious where they want to go according to the record we, The Gaslight Anthem, have decided to make. So right now the plan is to finish the writing of 40 songs, I have a really good friend who said the best thing, "Every songwriter has an average of about one in four songs being amazing." so, with my brain, that said, "write forty songs, choose ten." In between though there are songs like "Tin Pan Alley" coming out which don't fit the next Gaslight record, so they go here, when I'm done I should have two records ready. I can say that I feel very strongly that there will be a new Gaslight record before I do anything of my own, but I may release some singles or 7" or something, we'll see. I'll do a record by myself when the time is right."

Oh hell yes!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Last edited by JesusOfSbrbia at Jun 19, 2009,
Not available in my area!!!!!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano