ampeg svt 4x10 half stack or gallien-krueger 4x10 neo series cab?

give me your opinion

by the way...i playy a single buck musicman stingray...

thanks
Errrr...

Play them both and see which amp you like best.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Huge difference... I wouldn't consider trying to choose between the two. If you need to run as much power as the GK will handle, then you need two of those ampegs.

The GK cab handles 3 times the power. The tweets are different too... the GK is bi-amped and crossed over really high.

I just built a GK 4x12 copy, and I'm picking up a used ampeg 4x10 in 2 weeks, so I'll be able to compare the tone side by side then.
Although I have not played either, the Ampeg weighs 30 lbs. more than the GK according to the guitar center website.
Quote by margeramann
Although I have not played either, the Ampeg weighs 30 lbs. more than the GK according to the guitar center website.

That's because the GK uses neo magnets.
GK's and Stingrays/Sterling are great with each other.

My personal opinion

I played a Ampeg SVT Classic/810 at guitar Center with several basses. I was not impressed one bit. I thought it sounded dull and weak. I would choose a GK over an Ampeg any day.
Quote by Miss G
I played a Ampeg SVT Classic/810 at guitar Center with several basses. I was not impressed one bit. I thought it sounded dull and weak.

They claim that the 410 is brighter to round it out, but it's probably just because it has a tweeter.
GK is the way to go
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
You really need to play each cab. I liked my Ampeg cab, 410 HLF, but the GK definately cuts through the mix better than the Ampeg. You'll probably bet a better growling tone from that ray as well.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
hmm. I like the way Ampegs sound with Stingrays. like old school disco. but GK is also really good, and will get you a more modern funk rock sound (think Flea).

it's preference. I probably would end up going with GK, fits my style better. I just don't do dance basslines. and that is what pops into my head whenever I pick up the old Ampeg/Stingray combo.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
For me I love my Pbass clone and my 'Ray through my Ampeg and a friend's Ampeg head/cab. It sounds really old school--and works well for blues/R & B etc. But its really going to come down to which you like better.
Quote by corndogggy
They claim that the 410 is brighter to round it out, but it's probably just because it has a tweeter.

The tweeter makes the frequency response go from 5k to about 18k, so that's probably just as important to the bass tone as the speakers themselves.

Now, try them both as per, but keep in mind that a Neo loaded GK cab is definitely aiming for a modern sound and setup (and mass), whereas all Ampeg seems to be interested in is the 'classic' tone. Allegedly, if that's what your after, they can't be beat. I'd say split the difference - get a David series Eden cab and get the best (if not the better) of both worlds.

As much as I hate the Ampeg 810 and still have nightmares about my backline experience with it, they ARE very good for one thing - distorted tones. Tweeters get very HACKY with distortion, and it can come off as harsh. The lack of a tweeter smooths things out considerably. The way Billy Sheehan's distorted tone breaks up is fantastic.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The tweeter makes the frequency response go from 5k to about 18k, so that's probably just as important to the bass tone as the speakers themselves.

Now, try them both as per, but keep in mind that a Neo loaded GK cab is definitely aiming for a modern sound and setup (and mass), whereas all Ampeg seems to be interested in is the 'classic' tone. Allegedly, if that's what your after, they can't be beat. I'd say split the difference - get a David series Eden cab and get the best (if not the better) of both worlds.

As much as I hate the Ampeg 810 and still have nightmares about my backline experience with it, they ARE very good for one thing - distorted tones. Tweeters get very HACKY with distortion, and it can come off as harsh. The lack of a tweeter smooths things out considerably. The way Billy Sheehan's distorted tone breaks up is fantastic.

I loved my Eden 410XLT, it was way more responsive than the Ampeg and the mid bump was great. After a while though, I got tired of how bright it was and tried an Aguilar cab. I can definately say I'm pleased with the Aggie and the tone is as round as I've heard. I would recommend any of these cabs, but they are all quite different.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
I'm not a fan of Ampeg cabs anymore; I've owned the 610HLF and 810E, and neither one was very versatile, and both were extremely inefficient. The 8x10 can't even reproduce the fundamental of your low E string!

Volume is also a concern. In my case, I use a 200-watt all-tube head, the Mesa 400. Through the Ampeg 6x10, I had almost no punch and a severe lack of volume. But when I got a chance to run it through the "humble" Eden 410XLT, that little cab absolutely killed the Ampeg in terms of tone and volume.

Therefore, my recommendation goes with Eden, GK, and Mesa/Boogie cabs, because of their efficiency and good tone. Ampeg just doesn't do it for me anymore :[
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by thefitz
As much as I hate the Ampeg 810 and still have nightmares about my backline experience with it, they ARE very good for one thing - distorted tones. Tweeters get very HACKY with distortion, and it can come off as harsh. The lack of a tweeter smooths things out considerably.

That's why GK has the bi-amp setup. You can overdrive the woofer amp a little with the "boost" without it affecting the tweeter.