So i decided to put some lighter gauge strings on my warwick but it caused fret buzz and wore down my first fret (ALOT). Is there anyway to buy another warwick fret? Or possibly fill in the hole on the fret (Hey, it might work)?

I posted in gear building and customizing but got nothing.
I figured the bass people would know
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I would have it re-fretted with stainless frets, that way you won't wear them down no matter what you string it with.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
But then I would have one shiny silver frets next to a bunch of golden brass ones :P
And i'm pretty sure that even stainless steel frets would wear down eventually.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Brass is a pretty soft metal, hence why it's worn down so quickly, I'd definately go get it refretted, but get it done by a pro, you don't want a bodged fretting job.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by Woogles
But then I would have one shiny silver frets next to a bunch of golden brass ones :P
And i'm pretty sure that even stainless steel frets would wear down eventually.

I meant having the whole neck re-fretted.

And the average life span of a set of stainless frets is just huge. Upwards of 10 or 15 years, even with heavy use.

Just something to consider.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by pinkhaze29
Re-fret the whole neck?

Yeah.
Because that is a lot easier than just replacing one fret.
Quote by brandooon
You can buy replacement Warwick frets from their website.

And they shouldn't wear down. I've had my Wawick for a good 3 years and there's no damage to the frets whatsoever.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
....Where on their website?
Quote by brandooon
Stainless steel frets don't sound nearly as good as warwick frets.
Their frets are part of the tone man.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by Woogles
Yeah.
Because that is a lot easier than just replacing one fret.

I was pointing out that diditfortehlulz meant the whole neck...
Quote by pinkhaze29
I was pointing out that diditfortehlulz meant the whole neck...

OK?
Quote by brandooon
Quote by Woogles
So i decided to put some lighter gauge strings on my warwick but it caused fret buzz and wore down my first fret (ALOT). Is there anyway to buy another warwick fret? Or possibly fill in the hole on the fret (Hey, it might work)?

I posted in gear building and customizing but got nothing.
I figured the bass people would know

How long have you had this Warwick? I'm receiving a Warwick Corvette in a few days and wondering if fret damage is something to look out for.
Quote by BrickIsRed
How long have you had this Warwick? I'm receiving a Warwick Corvette in a few days and wondering if fret damage is something to look out for.

Meh.
I don't think the frets would wear that much under normal playing.
You should be good.
Quote by brandooon
Uh, truss rod adjustment much? What would make you arrive at the conclusion that fret 1 is worn out after restringing to LIGHTER strings? It should have sounded that way before the string change otherwise. Also, raise that JAN.

And I'm not sure if Warwick uses normal brass - theirs is 'bell brass' and could be some sort of special alloy. Bells don't wear out easily.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Uh, truss rod adjustment much? What would make you arrive at the conclusion that fret 1 is worn out after restringing to LIGHTER strings? It should have sounded that way before the string change otherwise. Also, raise that JAN.

And I'm not sure if Warwick uses normal brass - theirs is 'bell brass' and could be some sort of special alloy. Bells don't wear out easily.

It might have been a combination of switching to lighter stainless steel strings.
Quote by brandooon
De-fret it?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Warwick uses "bell brass", which is essentially a kick-ass bronze alloy. That "wear" that you're seeing is simply the finish on the fret being worn off, not the fret itself. It happens on every bass. And you can be reassured that Warwick frets are a lot tougher than many others out there.

Any evidence of a "groove" being worn in your fret is just the finish and shine being taken off. Trust me, I own three Warwicks- from '95, '96, and '97. Cool part is, all three have almost no fret wear after 11 to 13 years of use. Yes, there are marks in the fret finish where the string has worn through the shine, but the fret is completely intact. When I first looked at my frets, I thought they were chewed all to hell, but after closer inspection and some research, I found they were just fine. It's just a little Warwick illusion :p

Also, to back my claim, I've brought up this issue to my dad before, who has a degree in metallurgy and 30 years of experience in luthierie and gunsmithing. I'm pretty convinced!

If you're still concerned, a little company called DR makes some wonderful strings that, despite being stainless steel, are extremely soft and easy on your frets. Plus, they sound sweet and last forever, and most of their strings fit Warwick bridges. I'm a fan of the Long Necks and Lo-Riders. On my Warwick Flashback, I used D'Addario Chromes flats.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Sep 3, 2008,
The manual says the frets do tarnish, but you can shine them up using steel wool something or other and scrubbing them.
Quote by BrickIsRed
The manual says the frets do tarnish, but you can shine them up using steel wool something or other and scrubbing them.

That's so you can remove the green bronze rust that develops from sweat. It also slightly helps with restoring the uniform look that your strings disrupted.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez