so anyone who's seen some of my latest threads knows i've been having problems with/getting sick of my 5150 combo, thinking its not the amp for me and i was pretty discontent

but after fiddling today, i think i found the problem, my mids...

for stuff like br00talz or hard rock (every time i die, tdwp)
i had this set up:

pre-5/6
post-2
bass-6/7
mids-4.5/5
treble-6/7
resonance & presence- both 6

well, the sound was not good and chunky so, i basically scooped my mids. well, more like to 1.5 or 1.8

the sound was totally different, it sounds loads better now; still a bit loose and flabby, but i think a tubescreamer can tighten that and add a touch more gain

do yall think this could've been the problem? i mean ive heard 5150 are notorious for being extremely middy amps, but i never really knew what that meant, me being somewhat a "gear beginner" still

this should fix the problem, especially when at gigging volumes

i think i can actually be somewhat content now

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
That might it harder to hear your at a gig. Mids are what make you cut through.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
true...but i think i need to use them accordingly....im guessing 1.5/2 is good for my bedroom use, while 4 should cut it for gigs... im guessing this is right because i played a gig last wednesday at my church and had the mids at 4 and i thought it sounded great, but my post was at its saturation stage (around 4) so thats why it probably sounded good

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
i know this will sound weird but why don't you try boosting mids and treble (don't go below 6-7 with either, maybe less on mids cause you say it's a middy amp) and cut bass (around 2-3). it sounds good for thrash

and the tubescreamer is also adds a lot of mids

Edit: nvm, it dosen't look like your looking for a thrash tone
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by Dance_of_Death
i know this will sound weird but why don't you try boosting mids and treble (don't go below 6-7 with either, maybe less on mids cause you say it's a middy amp) and cut bass (around 2-3). it sounds good for thrash

and the tubescreamer is also adds a lot of mids

i actually did try this when i was fanaggling around with the EQ and i really didnt like the sound

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
What I use for my tone on my 6505+ (very heavy melodic death metal lead tone)
pre - 8
low - 9
mids - 5-6
high - 7
post - however much is necessary
resonance - 9
presence - 8.75

Presence really tightens up your tone and resonance makes it sound much richer
For cleans I use a tone very similar to Threat Signal (same amps)
ohai little sig.
Quote by Kevin Saale
That might it harder to hear your at a gig. Mids are what make you cut through.
I think you far underestimate how mid heavy the 5150 is.

5 on a 5150 is like 8 or 9 on many amps.

1.5-3 is like normal for most other amps.

I dunno TS, maybe you just like a mid boost?
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
I think you far underestimate how mid heavy the 5150 is.

5 on a 5150 is like 8 or 9 on many amps.

1.5-3 is like normal for most other amps.

I dunno TS, maybe you just like a mid boost?

you used to have a 5150 or 6505 correct? if so, then yeah, you understand haha...

by "like a mid boost".. do you mean it sounds like thats what im looking for? because if so, i dont know if thats so..i needed a mid reduction haha...

i found the tone to be much creamier when i turned the mids down to about 1.5

im probably going to get a tubescreamer and boost my tone with that, i think i should be happy with my amp now

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
eh, i keep my pres completly off, really adds fizz, and after that its really not noticible so i keep it off
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by jcp42877
you used to have a 5150 or 6505 correct? if so, then yeah, you understand haha...

by "like a mid boost".. do you mean it sounds like thats what im looking for? because if so, i dont know if thats so..i needed a mid reduction haha...

i found the tone to be much creamier when i turned the mids down to about 1.5

im probably going to get a tubescreamer and boost my tone with that, i think i should be happy with my amp now
Yeah I used to own one. Maybe I read that wrong. I preferred the mids to be under 3 at all times when I had it, and the Presence around 8.

That's what I did. Adding an 808 adds a warmer and more usable midrange, brightens the tone, and tightens it. I really liked the lead boosted.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
If it is that mid heavy, then it's probably equivalent to about 5 or 6 on another amp so it doesn't really count as scooping I don't think. You had them at 11 before