Hi gang.

So I'm relatively new to this section, and I'm trying to educate myself on options for distortion pedals.

I know the first questions will be about amps. I'm recently getting back into playing electric more often after a few years of focusing on acoustic playing. I currently have an Epi Valve Junior, but I'll likely be picking up a Vox AC30CC2 in the near future.

My research was leading me in the direction of a tube distortion pedal. I like what I've heard so far on the EHX English Muff'n. All the videos/reviews have been great. Then I got to these posts in an olddd (2005) thread:

Quote by unitedkid
and even still, the electro harmonix english muffin is by no means on par with any menatone, frantone, keeley, analog man, indy, fulltone, badcat, barber, jersey girl, dna, top hat, toad works, zvex, third hand, or nuance pedal. stating the facts, quality components, clean wired boards, superb housings, with outstanding customer service. ALL FOR LESS THAN A MARKED UP, OVERPRICED ELECTRO HARMONIX

Quote by unitedkid
and how was i "arsey"...when i was just asking for proof of your claim. i made suggestions into why he should also look into other companies.

the reason why some consider the electro harmonix to be overkill, they use knockoff chip sets, poor pc boards, low quality silver mica caps, radio shack quality resistors, on top of that....poor wiring. they feel they can slap two preamp tubes on to a pedal and charge that much for a drive box?!?!? you kidding me.

i will state this a third time, at that range you can look into the hand made, hand assembled boutique drive pedals that use quality resistors, quality boards, NOS chips, followed up by fantastic customer service. all he has to do is consider it, and all you have to do is keep your smart ass remarks to yourself...give your advice, make your suggestions.

Now, I'm not at all dis-agreeing with this poster. I'm new to effects, and I'm open to as much information as possible.

Unfortunately, I haven't have the opportunity to spend much time with pedals yet. The only tube dist pedals I've seen beyond the internet are the Muff'n, and the Blackstar pedals (And I haven't played those yet).

So I'm looking for opinions on the quoted posts, as well as some other options to consider. I'm not opposed to alternatives to the Muff'n, but I've never heard of a single one of those boutique brand pedals mentioned so I'm looking for some direction.

I like the sound of the muff'n. I'm looking for a zeppelin/queen/classic brit rock sound mainly...

Whew! That's a big post.

Thanks in advance. I hope you can tell by the fact I'm quoting three year old threads that I have certainly used the search bar and done some research. I'd appreciate some level of consideration in your responses as it just makes life easier for everyone!

-J
Quote by HighPotency
Uhh, for classic rock like that, try a tubescreamer maybe?

I am asking this honestly. Do you have experience with tube amps, and tube distortion pedals? Have you owned or extensively played them?
Even the Tube Distortion pedals sound like a can of bee's but a slightly warmer can of bee's sure.

What exactly are you looking for?

If your looking for classic rock and tube tone then theres alot of budget low wattage tube amps you can pickup now a days. For about the price of a good distortion pedal. Thats going to to be your best bet honestly.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

If your looking for classic rock and tube tone then theres alot of budget low wattage tube amps you can pickup now a days. For about the price of a good distortion pedal. Thats going to to be your best bet honestly.

He already said that he's going to buy a Vox AC30.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Even the Tube Distortion pedals sound like a can of bee's but a slightly warmer can of bee's sure.

What exactly are you looking for?

I hate to sound like a cynic, but I'm starting to think people post based on the thread title, and not at all based on the actual post?

I have a valve junior, and will likely have an AC30CC2 soon. I am looking for info on the muff'n, and the other pedal companies mentioned...
Quote by Nims

I hate to sound like a cynic, but I'm starting to think people post based on the thread title, and not at all based on the actual post?

Welcome to UG.
Quote by Nims
I have a valve junior, and will likely have an AC30CC2 soon. I am looking for info on the muff'n, and the other pedal companies mentioned...

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone want a tube dirt pedal for something other than hard rock/metal . . . but I expect the Muff'n is right up your alley. Also try looking into the Vox Cooltron treble boost . . . this is kind of a shot-in-the-dark on my part, but I think it might be up your alley.
For $200, you could get a Fulltone OCD or Zvex Box of Rock, which both sound better imo than the English Muff'n.

If you're into classic rock, definitely check these out, they're both voiced for that early British crunch, very reminiscent of a JTM45. I think they're both a lot better than tubescreamers, which is easily the most overrated overdrive pedal currently on the market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVUNQwqbfM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3iumBEvCE&feature=related
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 2, 2008,
Damage control solid metal all the way, with a good amp you cand sound really nice , you can go to the store and test one with a Valve Junior and see.

Also there are some videos on youtube, you can do from rock to metal.
Well Blackstar pedals bump up the 16v input to 300v, so the tube actually adds a lot to the sound, unlike stuff like the Vox Tonelab etc they can't work without the valve. I have the DistX, and although it sounds great there is some noise, and I don't need the huge amounts of gain it has. Look more into the Blackstar range, they're astonishing. The Vox Bulldog Distortion also sounds great, I don't know how much the valve effects the sound but its definitely sounds good.
Blackstar. They're fantastic! The HT-Dist is great for any rock to a bit of metal with a bit of tweaking.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I just ordered an H&K Tube Factor. I think this one runs on 300v also. Either way, I played one a while ago and I loved it. I was able to find one used, so I bought it .
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Nims

Actually I did read it and the reply was a general statement following the question about why you wanted the pedal in the first place. Because you are wanting to buy a pedal that mimics a overdriven small wattage tube amp.