I need a tube amp that does shred REALLY well. I need good lead tones, but also I would like a good bit of gain on tap for metal.

Also, I play classic rock, and some clean stuff, so a good clean/crunch channel is a must for me.

I want enough power for gigs, but nothing so loud that I can't use it at home.

Amps I am currently researching.

Bugera 333xl ( seems unreliable)
Peavey XXX (don't know too much about it really)
ValveKing 112 or 212
Randall RG50TC

What do you think about these amps? Are there others you can recommend?

I don't have a predetermined budget, but I don't want to wait too long to save up, so I'm thinking somewhere below $600 unless it was REALLY worth it.

Thanks for help.
How bout a traynor ycv50 blue. When I tried one out I was able to get a very nice lead sound from it. It's seemed to have enough gain for metal maybe. With a TS it could easily do metal.

Very nice sounding amp. It's got a pretty good clean channel.

Maybe an F-30 or an F-50 if you can find one to try. You could definitely get shred and metal tones from one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by jake911
Used peavey jsx combo? It will be a little over $600 but it is a good amp.

That's the reason I was looking at the Bugera, to get a more affordable copy of the JSX. The lowest i've seen that amp go for was like $800
Bugera seem unreliable but mind there are many a horror story about other amps, from what I've heard they are great value for money.
or maybe a B-52 AT, I've played one in fact theres a vid of me playing if you want to hear it.
Quote by Kevin Saale
How bout a traynor ycv50 blue. When I tried one out I was able to get a very nice lead sound from it. It's seemed to have enough gain for metal maybe. With a TS it could easily do metal.

Very nice sounding amp. It's got a pretty good clean channel.

Maybe an F-30 or an F-50 if you can find one to try. You could definitely get shred and metal tones from one.

Yeah.. I wish I could, but I don't have any great stores near me... The closest guitar center is 60 miles from here. Not to mention I can't drive.

And GC doesn't have a great amp selection. All the new Raven crap that they are stocking their shelves with is mostly what they got.

I would have to blind buy any of these amps except the VK. I've played those, and thought they were nice sounding.
Quote by stephen_rettie
Bugera seem unreliable but mind there are many a horror story about other amps, from what I've heard they are great value for money.
or maybe a B-52 AT, I've played one in fact theres a vid of me playing if you want to hear it.

I wouldn't mind seeing that actually. If you could send me a link, that would be great.
Im pretty sure a VK wouldnt work. Maybe try a B-52 AT amp if you havent already. Ive heard good things about the gain on that amp. Id say otherwise a Bugera.
Carvin Legacy 1/2 stack or combo. it's Steve Vai's design, both the look and the sound, they are extremely versatile and, like i said, won't drain your bank account.

they go for under 1,000$ if you order it direct.

i tried one once and, my god, was it amazing. it just makes all your nuances come out.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
The Valveking doesn't really have enough gain on tap (by itself) to do shred unless you crank it to saturation (around 3 or 4) However, an overdrive pedal should be enough to push it into shred territory.

It'll get even better for shred once you upgrade the speakers and re-tube it to suit your specific needs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'd say definitely consider the Peavey JSX here, its one of the best shred amps on the market, amazing lead tone, almost as smooth as a Mark IV, beautiful cleans and a perfect crunch for some classic rock. It was designed my Joe Satriani, one of the best shredders so I'd definitely consider one of these combo's, or head if you're willing to crank out the extra $$. It's definitely your best bet for a shred amp if you dont want to pay 3000$+ for like a bogner extacy. Try one out in a store, I think itd be exactly what you're looking for.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
The XXX is awesome. Go to UG TV and watch some Kristofer Dahl videos. He uses one and usually runs it through his strat, but sometimes an Ibanez RG.
i liked a 333xl when i tried it out, but the valve king could be one of the most overly hyped amps on the market, it's only after a new speaker (or 2 new speakers if you're dumb enough to get the 2x12) and a new set of tubes will it sound good, and by that time you're already spending enough money to get a better amp.

sorry about that rant i just don't valve kings.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by Jhachey22
Carvin Legacy 1/2 stack or combo. it's Steve Vai's design, both the look and the sound, they are extremely versatile and, like i said, won't drain your bank account.

they go for under 1,000$ if you order it direct.

i tried one once and, my god, was it amazing. it just makes all your nuances come out.

I found a combo on Ebay for $750.

Do you think it will be worth waiting till after Christmas for this? Possibly even longer...

I love Steve Vai, and I think I would love this signature amp.
Have you looked at Krank Rev Jrs? They go for around 500 or so on Ebay. And they are only 20 watts so you could use it at home.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by just42dave
carvin legacys are noisy try a v3 combo or bugera no b52 they overheat

Only their first batch suffered from this problem. They fixed the ventilation issues a long time ago.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I found a combo on Ebay for $750.

Do you think it will be worth waiting till after Christmas for this? Possibly even longer...

I love Steve Vai, and I think I would love this signature amp.

definetly. they are really good amps. carvin is the only exeption to the rule
"Cheap=/= Good"
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.