I haven't had a proper English teacher since maybe 7th or 8th grade and now I'm a Senior and I've completely forgot what I'm doing when writing papers.

Could someone give me an example of a thesis statement?
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
feces for English pooper
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
State your main idea

example, about guitars

Guiatrs are...*finish sentance*
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

The thesis statement is just like what you're trying to prove.

For example:
Members of the pit are not good at giving advice because they try to be funny and repeat the same things over and over again.

Then later you go on to prove it.

Also, think of it basically as just saying what your paper is about.
Quote by (Metal)lica
State your main idea

example, about guitars

Guiatrs are...*finish sentance*

filled with cocaine and used for smuggling
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
The thesis statement is just like what you're trying to prove.

For example:
Members of the pit are not good at giving advice because they try to be funny and repeat the same things over and over again.

Then later you go on to prove it.

Also, think of it basically as just saying what your paper is about.

actually that's spot on....ha
my hovercraft is full of eels
you just state the point that you'll be arguing throughout the paper.

ex: You learn more from books then you do from movies.
Call me Jack
"I would choose Charmander becuase he makes the game more difficult to complete, providing a bigger challenge to non-gamers, and he is capable of obtaining high levels of badassery."
I shall give you a short International Baccalaureate certified course on thesis writing this is generally for English papers not history ones.

topic + opinion = thesis

a thesis must be
-specific
-universal
-arguable

these simple things points should almost guarantee a good thesis here is an example of a bad one.

Bad Thesis: there are many powerful examples of memory and action in The Wars.

-this is bad because it is much too general and therefore it also becomes difficult to argue, it also only relates to the text so it is not very universal.

Now a good thesis

In Heart of Darkness, Conrad develops the idea that when faced with traumatic circumstances and beliefs that contradict their own values, individuals must struggle to maintain sanity.

It's still not perfect, but it is good and meets all three criteria. I know a method to get a good thesis but its kind of long so I'm not going to copy it unless you want me to.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Here's what I've got.

Btw the paper is about my best mentor, what I expect in a teacher, and how I learn best

Throughout life, many important lessons will be learned. You could learn from basic instinct, your mistakes, or most importantly, a teacher. Knowledge is best learned from a person who has personal experience and knows what they're doing.
Quote by MetalMegaMan
Here's what I've got.

Btw the paper is about my best mentor, what I expect in a teacher, and how I learn best

Throughout life, many important lessons will be learned. You could learn from basic instinct, your mistakes, or most importantly, a teacher. Knowledge is best learned from a person who has personal experience and knows what they're doing.

Alright, the only thing I see wrong there is most times in papers you don't want to use the word "you". Just substitute "one" instead.
so:
"One can learn from basic instinct, mistakes, or most importantly, a teacher"

So it looks like your thesis is your last line, I'm not sure but I think you may want to include supporting reasons like the subjects of your body paragraphs in your thesis.

Edit: You'd want to include everything your paper is about in your intro too, like your best learning style, expectations from a teacher, everything you said before.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
Alright, the only thing I see wrong there is most times in papers you don't want to use the word "you". Just substitute "one" instead.
so:
"One can learn from basic instinct, mistakes, or most importantly, a teacher"

So it looks like your thesis is your last line, I'm not sure but I think you may want to include supporting reasons like the subjects of your body paragraphs in your thesis.

Edit: You'd want to include everything your paper is about in your intro too, like your best learning style, expectations from a teacher, everything you said before.

I'm pretty much done and I've included everything stated in my thesis. I'm gonna finish up my conclusion and post it on here.