hey. i'm starting to write my own songs, but i can't put riffs taht go well together. i think its because i try to put riffs that are in differnet keys together. how do i tell waht key a riff is in and such. and than, when i'm trying to put a solo together, i never find notes that fit the song. How do i know what scale will go good with certain chords and what key its all in and everything like that? Like when i try to improvise, i never know what scale to use and it never sounds good.
you're obviously not ready to start writing your own songs.

you need to actually learn GUITAR, not just playing everyone else's songs. Take a guitar class, or take music theory and composition, almost all schools offer that.

--someone that actually plays guitar.
Quote by meeks_09
you're obviously not ready to start writing your own songs.

you need to actually learn GUITAR, not just playing everyone else's songs. Take a guitar class, or take music theory and composition, almost all schools offer that.

--someone that actually plays guitar.

you're quite a c*nt aren't you!
Quote by _-Joey-_
you're quite a c*nt aren't you!

no, he's telling him the truth. He needs to learn his theory.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 3, 2008,
Instead of being a dick, I'll just answer your question.

Actually you've asked a couple of questions, I'll try to break them down as much as I can.

Why don't my riffs sound good together? Is it because they're in different keys?

Yeah, that's one reason why they might. Although another reason could be because you're using different scales to create each one. Doesn't matter too much - it's not sounding good to your ears. To fix this learn some scales, and try to write them in the same scale like the other dudes said.

How can I tell what key my riff is in?

Play your riff and when you find a note that it sounds good ending on, that's the key it's in. Most of the time you'll find that you start and finish on the same note.

When I play solos the notes never fit the songs! Why?

Because you probably aren't using any scales. If you want to play solos that sound good with a song you'll have to learn some scales, then find out what the key of the song is and try to solo over it using the right scale. It's actually pretty hard at first.

Basically what you need to do is;

1. Learn penatonic scale (is the easiest scale, gets cool rock sound)
2. Learn minor scale (is pentatonic with more notes, sounds "sad")
3. Learn major scale (is the "happy" scale)

Try using the scales with songs they are meant for and writing your own stuff. Will take a while but you'll get there eventually.

And keep up the songwriting. Cause great songs are what makes a great musician.
well here is the way I write all of my songs

If you want a riff to match the chords:
Take 4 power chords (simple to begin ) soo lets say at 5th fret, down to 1st, up to 3rd on the A string, and back down to 3rd on the E string, this is a very common punk riff.
Now, take the top end note of the first chord (so 7 on the D string) and imagine you want to make that into a chord aswell, so you go up to the 9th fret on the G string - and also 10th fret B string, then chord this note so you're at 12th fret on the high e string. You'll find that 12th fret on the e string will sound good with a power chord rooting from 5th fret E string ( as will 9th fret G, 10th fret B ).
You can that formulate a very easy arpegio from the 3 notes mentioned:
e|12---------12-|
B|---10--10-----|
G|------9---------|
The above arpegio will will sound good with a 5th fret power chord on low E - repeat this with the other 3 chords...and you've got yourself a nice little riff
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09