It's well-known that Japanese-made Tokai Guitar copies are quite excellent (notably Les Pauls), which is why I'm asking about them. However their website(s) are a tad bit confusing and I can't find some things.

First, I want to ask about the Sound Stream: http://www2.wbs.ne.jp/~tokai/soundstream-march-17.html
This body construction method claims to increase sustain and note clarity. Does anyone have any experience using guitars with this who can comment on it? How effective is it, if at all? And what guitar models feature this/how can you find out?

Second, is there a complete/almost complete list of Japanese-made Tokai guitar models somewhere? I don't really want to buy another Les Paul, and I don't know how interested I'd be in a Stratocaster although it is an option, but what else do they make?

And third, is there an online directory or something where I can find local dealers?

Thanks.
i tried a lp special tokai copy, which had a similar body to that soundstream thing... i thought the tokai lp junior doublecut copy (which didn't have the soundstream thing) sounded and played better (obviously playing better is nothing to do with the soundstream thing)...

what country are you in, and what other types of guitar are you interested in? there are other japanese copies which would be worth considering, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh, yeah. I'm in the USA. And I'm interested in a double-cut guitar, possibly with 24 frets, but it's really for the upper fret access, as well as trying to have some sort of variety. I think ideally I'd want a high-quality (but more affordable) PRS Custom 24 copy, or something similar. The scale length is another thing, I'm itching to try the 25" or 25 1/4".

I do like Stratocasters though, so I may go for one of those copies anyway. I don't know. This is all for the future, I'm not buying a new guitar in the next month or anything.

The only other Japanese copier I can name off of the top of my head is Edwards, (or is Signature another?) and from what I've seen all they copy are Les Pauls, but I'm probably wrong on that.

Also, it appears that for quality control, it's ALL ABOUT THE JAPANESE, which is why I'm focusing in on Japanese-made guitars.
They make various models, I own an sg copy, i've played an 80's telecaster copy aswell, and they are built very well. They make lp's, sgs, explorers and v's. http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/main.htm that link is the models they make, but trying to get one while living in the states is quite a feat, because of the whole lawsuit thing. That site is based in the UK, and im not sure whether they ship to the states or not, and if they do, expect to spend quite a lot of money. Are they worth it? yes, im quite satisfied with the one i have but then again i was lucky to have found a used one at a shop near my house. ALSO http://www.tokairegistry.com/ that site should be able to show the all the models they have, and information on the guitars.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
edwards make a bunch of copies, not just les pauls. i've got an edwards les paul copy, it's very nice, and an 80s tokai strat copy, which also kicks ass. I've heard that some of the original work on edwards might be done in china to keep costs down, then they're finished in japan (something like 60% of the work has to be done in japan for them to be claimed as MIJ? something like that anyway)... anyway, to me they feel like a japanese-made instrument, if that makes sense. if the work is outsourced, the important stuff seems to be being done in japan.

prs copy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOKAI-PRS-80Q-QUILTED-MAPLE-TOP-MADE-IN-JAPAN_W0QQitemZ180283568304QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180283568304&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 they claim it's japanese, anyway.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/po/E-PO-96D.html (not 24 frets though)

strat copy: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Goldstar-GS100-Electric-Guitar-Black_W0QQitemZ370082207037QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370082207037&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 (to get a clone of a strat, you'd need to go second-hand with tokai)

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/se/E-SE-93M.html

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/se/E-SE-93R.html

those e-bay links are in the UK- i'm not sure about getting them in the states, unfortunately...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 4, 2008,
theres a Tokai forum, ask on there, they are helpful

I have a Tokai ls-65 for sale in classified, its a killer guitar, our second guitarist is keen on buying it himself as he thinks its as good as a gibson standard.
High praise indeed, its a japanese model, and finish wise and pick up wise it is close, I think the Gibsons necks are better though, but thats because the one I had. used to have a wider neck and I like that.
Dave_MC, thanks for the information! Those guitars you linked all look absolutely delicious. I'll be sure to look into Edwards more. Yeah, regardless of how/where they were made if they're solid quality guitars then it doesn't really matter. As for obtaining these babies, that'll be a whole other matter.
Quote by stereohigh
theres a Tokai forum, ask on there, they are helpful

I have a Tokai ls-65 for sale in classified, its a killer guitar, our second guitarist is keen on buying it himself as he thinks its as good as a gibson standard.
High praise indeed, its a japanese model, and finish wise and pick up wise it is close, I think the Gibsons necks are better though, but thats because the one I had. used to have a wider neck and I like that.

THIS, because the forum is full of information, i joined because i couldnt really find much info out there, like one BIG piece of advice i found were, Tokai love rocks with a 6 digit serial number were infact fake. They are usually canadian built with very good materials, ie the materials they use for their higher end models, but sell them at a price of a low model with the tokai name on the headstock, but when tokai gakki found out about that problem he stepped in, because at the time tokai didnt have a factory in canada, let alone the states, because of the lawsuit issue. So they're still around, but they're quite good guitars, they're just not real ones, basically a copy of a copy.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by Unsouled
Dave_MC, thanks for the information! Those guitars you linked all look absolutely delicious. I'll be sure to look into Edwards more. Yeah, regardless of how/where they were made if they're solid quality guitars then it doesn't really matter. As for obtaining these babies, that'll be a whole other matter.

that tokai forum is bound to be worth a look too. I never got round to signing up there, but they have some great info even if you don't join the forum. japanaxe is pretty cool too, for all the japanese brands (i did sign up there).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?