...between open coil humbuckers and those plated ones (PAF... i think? Like in Gibson LPs)?

Thanks.
O O

___
Nothing really, some humbuckers just come covered, you can put covers on any humbucker. Some people say that covers cut some of the treble, but I've never noticed a difference.

PAFs are just a type of humbucker... sort of, it refers to the first humbuckers created produced by Seth Lover that were used in Gibsons from the late 50s to early 60s. Thus, PAF=patent applied for.
the cover makes them sound mellower, to my ears. the open coils are more raw sounding.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
There really is no difference in sound. As al112987 mentioned, some people say that covers cut some of the treble. I've never noticed this.

I personally think that the covered ones look better.
so... if i get a guitar with open coiled humbuckers, i can just buy some chrome covers and put them on?

And if so, how? Don't you have to solder it on?

EDIT: I'm asking because i want to buy this guitar, but i was wondering if there was a difference in sound, is why i was asking the original question.

And the reason i asked this ^ question, is because i'd be VERY happy if i could put those plates on it... because i prefer the look of the plated ones.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Sep 2, 2008,
Yep, just pop them on and solder. Although you may want to wax pot the pickups first, otherwise there is sometimes some pretty bad noise.
Quote by TheBax
so... if i get a guitar with open coiled humbuckers, i can just buy some chrome covers and put them on?

And if so, how? Don't you have to solder it on?

EDIT: I'm asking because i want to buy this guitar, but i was wondering if there was a difference in sound, is why i was asking the original question.

And the reason i asked this ^ question, is because i'd be VERY happy if i could put those plates on it... because i prefer the look of the plated ones.

yeah, just screw them on, then solder your pickups back tot the pots. like the guy above me said, pot them in wax first. it helps reduce noise.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.