I'm considering making a pedalboard. There are a few things I'm curious about: Why do people say about the order of the pedals as to which they are connected from guitar to amp/cab. What's the best, cheap, item to cover it with. There are a few others as well. I was considering making a designated position for my wah, which I may get soon. Course, I'm going to look around, get the dimensions of the different wahs, to make the size of the "wah spot" big enough to fit most wahs out there. I don't do gigs-yet-I'm not in a band-yet-so I don't need any flashiness done to the pedalboard. I was probably going to use small squares of velcro to keep the pedals in place. I was just going to use plywood for the pedalboard and cover in some material. Also planning on making it have a lift-up top so that you can get inside to where I may have a surge protector, and all the cables-excluding patches, possibly-under it and come out of the pedalboard through a hole. Oh, and any wah I get is NOT auto wah, I dislike those with great passion. So, your opinion on: 1. Order of pedals. 2. Designated wah spot. 3. Material to cover it. 4. Using velcro to attach pedals. 5. Having lift-up top.
I have a pretty short one and I keep it in an old briefcase. Pedals velcroed to a plank of wood, I just take the whole thing out of the briefcase and play.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
I have a pretty short one and I keep it in an old briefcase. Pedals velcroed to a plank of wood, I just take the whole thing out of the briefcase and play.

Well doing that way, I'm sure cables get in the way.
Quote by EvoXM
Well doing that way, I'm sure cables get in the way.

Not really. I do it the same way and i don't have a problem with it. I would like a better one when I get the chance and actually build it into the case, but this does the job for now.
so, im thinking of doing the same thing,
so i'll try to help you, but, im not TOO experienced
with this kind of thing, so it you see any flaws, let me know

1. Order of pedals.
you prolly want something like
tuner
compression/sustainer
wah
distortion/od
delay
flanger/phaser
noise reducer (?)

2. Designated wah spot.
either before or after compression/sustainer.
but deff. before gain

3. Material to cover it.
plywood?
maybe stick like, some foam or insulation
to keep the pedals from moving

4. Using velcro to attach pedals.
i'd say put velcro in horizontal strips
about 5-10 CMs apart, then put vertical strips
on the bottom of your pedals

5. Having lift-up top.
/explained above
BulletzAreScene
I'm building a pedal board...
I have 8 pedals at present but am building it with enough space for 9 small stompboxes (boss size), a loop station and a wah pedal across 2 levels.
I also am wiring in 2 selector switches (one for amp selection and one for channel selection), 2 power banks to power all the pedals hooked up to a single kettle lead socket and 4 Neutrik input/outputs (3 amp channels and an input). I also have a lid with all wiring inside and I am then coating it in Tolex and placing some feet on.
It's 75x45 cm's, is made of 18mm thick MDF and has all the pedals screwed into the board itself.
You'll need to plan a wiring diagram before anything to devise a layout (remember to include a gap for any pedals you may want in future.
Got any questions, just give me a shout.
Jamie
Quote by BulletzAreScene
so, im thinking of doing the same thing,
so i'll try to help you, but, im not TOO experienced
with this kind of thing, so it you see any flaws, let me know

1. Order of pedals.
you prolly want something like
tuner
compression/sustainer
wah
distortion/od
delay
flanger/phaser
noise reducer (?)

2. Designated wah spot.
either before or after compression/sustainer.
but deff. before gain

3. Material to cover it.
plywood?
maybe stick like, some foam or insulation
to keep the pedals from moving

4. Using velcro to attach pedals.
i'd say put velcro in horizontal strips
about 5-10 CMs apart, then put vertical strips
on the bottom of your pedals

5. Having lift-up top.
/explained above

To elaborate on the first point, this is a more elaborate pedal order that I would use (from first to last):

0. Guitar
1. Tuner
2. Wah
3. Compressor/sustain
4. Whammy
5. Acoustic simulator
6. Overdrive/distortion
7. Reverb
8. Buffer (if your pedals are not true bypass)

EFFECTS LOOP

1. Equalizer
2. Chorus
3. Flanger
4. Phaser
5. Delay/echo
6. Noise suppressor
7. Ring modulator
8. Auto wah

Second point: I agree. Wahs are mostly not true bypass, and it's better to put non-true bypass pedals towards the front of the chain so as to diminish their tone-sucking.

Third point: If the board is made of plywood you may want to cover it with tolex or some other rough surface to prevent slippage.

Fourth point: Agreed.

Fifth point: I agree to an extent - if the pedal board is small this is convenient for transporting them. However the larger the pedalboard the more problematic this becomes (the board becomes alot heavier, harder to lift on its own) But generally this is a good idea.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

8. Buffer (if your pedals are not true bypass)

This sounds interesting, though I have no idea what it is. Anyone care to explain?
^Yep, I'm also interested.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by Malos
This sounds interesting, though I have no idea what it is. Anyone care to explain?

yes explain
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>