i own a cheap les paul copy with a bolt on neck, while cleaning it i removed the neck from the body but when i went to bolt the neck back on one of the wont go in all the way, does anyone know what is wrong and how i can fix it?
boy Muddy Waters invented electricity

live gamertag = LiamOfTheFunk
Quote by liam3000
i own a cheap les paul copy with a bolt on neck, while cleaning it i removed the neck from the body but when i went to bolt the neck back on one of the wont go in all the way, does anyone know what is wrong and how i can fix it?

Try loosening the other screws, then screw in that one some more, and then do the rest.

That, or try putting the other screws in if you haven't yet, then try.
Quote by theskyline
Try loosening the other screws, then screw in that one some more, and then do the rest.

That, or try putting the other screws in if you haven't yet, then try.

tryed both and still now luck

It can be several things.
To diagnose the problem you can follow this line of experiment.
1) check if the bolts go all the way into the holes in the body while the neck is not in place. If one bolt doesn't go in, check 4). Otherwise proceed with 2)

Possibilty A: the holes in the neck
2) Check if all four bolts go through the holes in the neck without having to screw them in. You should be able to push them right through without turning. If a hole fails this test, make it bigger. They should be as wide as the outer diamater of the bolts (measured over the top of the thread)
3) If test 1) and 2) are passed, put the neck in place and try to fasten the bolts. If one still jams, that hole is not properly lined up. Filing out the culprit hole in the neck a little bit may cure it.

Possibilty B: the bolt
4) Check whether it is the bolt or the hole by trying to screw the same bolt in another hole and trying another bolt in the same hole.
If the bolt is the culprit, replace it.

Possibility C: the holes in the body
If the hole in the body is at fault, probe if anything is inside it. A match stick or a nail must go all the way to the bottom or else it must be obscured somehow, maybe by a wood splinter. You might be able to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner.
If the probe goes all the way to the bottom of the screw hole and everything above checks out right, the thread must be damaged.
If that is the case I hear from you. I'll guide you through that procedure if necessary.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Sep 3, 2008,
thanks for the help im not at home right now but i will try each of these steps out whan i get in.

Last edited by liam3000 at Sep 3, 2008,
Possibilty B: the bolt
4) Check whether it is the bolt or the hole by trying to screw the same bolt in another hole and trying another bolt in the same hole.
If the bolt is the culprit, replace it.

thanks that worked a treat

Last edited by liam3000 at Sep 3, 2008,