I'm just wondering. I'm thinking about changing my technique (stopping ancoring, specifically) and the rest of my fingers on my right hand don't know what to do.

(Seriously, my pinky keeps making a break for the body of the guitar when I lose focus.)
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
I keep my hand open and try to relaxe muscles I'm not using. You could also close your hand some people do that to.

Open hand - Paul Gilbert
Close hand - Guthrie Govan, Rusty Cooley
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Quote by AgentWiggles
I'm just wondering. I'm thinking about changing my technique (stopping ancoring, specifically) and the rest of my fingers on my right hand don't know what to do.

(Seriously, my pinky keeps making a break for the body of the guitar when I lose focus.)

touching the body of the guitar does not necessarily = anchoring.

anchoring is when your hand is "fixed" on the guitar, where it limits movement and creates tension.
shred is gaudy music
I am actually trying to teach myself to anchor my pinky to the guitar. I figured this would help my accuracy on the strings. Otherwise I lose concentration and lift up just like TS.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by GuitarMunky
touching the body of the guitar does not necessarily = anchoring.

anchoring is when your hand is "fixed" on the guitar, where it limits movement and creates tension.

QFT

I REST my pinky on the guitar. I do not press into it or pivot my hand on that pinky. I simply rest it, as it relieves tension.
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
I just have my hand open and relax the other fingers
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
look at john petruccis picking hand...it's badass.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
I REST my picking hand on the bridge, but I don't use it as a pivot, it's simply more efficient for some of the stuff I play which requires swift alternation between palm muting and clear notes. My method does not restrict any movement
ohai little sig.
I think closed hand is the best , because you can make sure your fingers are all tight so that your picking finger and thumb dont move about or bend.

Unfortunately I keep switching back and forth from open hand to closed hand for rhythm to lead playing , as you can see from my video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7P8QilN5vY&fmt=18

edit: sorry forgot to mention I am a non-anchorer. I changed my technique from anchoring on the bridge and picking with my elbow for 3-4 hours lol! Best decision I ever made in guitar playing.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
Quote by DarkRaven03
QFT

I REST my pinky on the guitar. I do not press into it or pivot my hand on that pinky. I simply rest it, as it relieves tension.

That's what I do, and it hasn't caused problems for me. As long as your right hand is relaxed, your not anchoring (as in actually fixed to a spot), and 99% of your picking motion is coming from your wrist, then you are good.
Quote by eviledge87
I keep my hand open and try to relaxe muscles I'm not using. You could also close your hand some people do that to.

Open hand - Paul Gilbert
Close hand - Guthrie Govan, Rusty Cooley

Paul Gilbert closes his hand though; the only open handed player I can think of off the top of my head is George Lynch

Quote by ramm_ty
look at john petruccis picking hand...it's badass

No. I'm sorry but no; Petrucci's technique (as much as I love his playing) is full of tension, there are people out there who have the same kind of chops he does but much more relaxed.

Personally I don't think it matters that much what you do with the other fingers; as long as you're not really anchoring (as defined but GuitarMunky) then it's all good. Obviously if you're going to want to do some hybrid picking ideas then a more closed hand so you can easily reach the strings with your fingers would be a good idea but it's not that important.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't do anything with them. They just kind of hang there. I'm pretty comfortable with it, and the only time I tense up at all is with fast picking.
It's such a hard habit to break. I'm trying to break this same habit at the moment.

I start with just my right hand on open strings and at first can't go straight into any 16ths at more than 80 bpm without resting my pinky or palm.

So I play eighths keeping my other fingers outward. Closed in fingers feel kind of funny to me and I feel more tension that way than with either anchoring technique as my other fingers press in against my index finger and the pick.

At eighths it's a lot easier and I slowly move up from 120bpms to around 200 bpm's over about a few minutes. Then I switch to 16ths at 100bpms and the sixteenths are no problem. My pinky isn't reaching for the guitar at all.

I keep pushing it up and I get 16ths to about 138bpm and then top out - I start missing the odd note. At this point if I rest my palm on the guitar or on the strings I'm not playing or if I put my pinky down I can go faster and faster but I don't do this because it's reinforcing bad habits. I stop and drop down to 120 and build back up from there and try to push myself to get better.

None of this is with my left hand so I can focus solely on breaking the bad right hand habit of anchoring. I do other exercises solely with my left hand too. But when working the right hand and I get close to my top speed the third time around I drop it back down ten or fifteen bpms and bring the left hand in. Just something simple at first and push the tempo up. Then I'll get the left hand part a little more complicated and go again. If either hand fails I'll stick to that tempo till I get it right then drop it back one or two notches.

I know this is more than what you were asking for but I know what you're going though and this seems to be working for me so thought I would share.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by z4twenny
i keep them ready in case i decide to fingerpick. thats what i do with mine.

What do you do with your pick? Do you palm it David Blain styles or what?

Or do you get the dual action pick and finger action going?
Si
I rest my palm against the bridge and use it as a pivot point. My pinky is fairly weak under the weight of my hand (which I instinctively press down on when "anchoring" traditionally) so I don't often use or prefer in general that technique. But, whatever works, you know? As long as it doesn't disrupt your playing...
Quote by 20Tigers
It's such a hard habit to break. I'm trying to break this same habit at the moment.

I start with just my right hand on open strings and at first can't go straight into any 16ths at more than 80 bpm without resting my pinky or palm.

So I play eighths keeping my other fingers outward. Closed in fingers feel kind of funny to me and I feel more tension that way than with either anchoring technique as my other fingers press in against my index finger and the pick.

At eighths it's a lot easier and I slowly move up from 120bpms to around 200 bpm's over about a few minutes. Then I switch to 16ths at 100bpms and the sixteenths are no problem. My pinky isn't reaching for the guitar at all.

I keep pushing it up and I get 16ths to about 138bpm and then top out - I start missing the odd note. At this point if I rest my palm on the guitar or on the strings I'm not playing or if I put my pinky down I can go faster and faster but I don't do this because it's reinforcing bad habits. I stop and drop down to 120 and build back up from there and try to push myself to get better.

None of this is with my left hand so I can focus solely on breaking the bad right hand habit of anchoring. I do other exercises solely with my left hand too. But when working the right hand and I get close to my top speed the third time around I drop it back down ten or fifteen bpms and bring the left hand in. Just something simple at first and push the tempo up. Then I'll get the left hand part a little more complicated and go again. If either hand fails I'll stick to that tempo till I get it right then drop it back one or two notches.

I know this is more than what you were asking for but I know what you're going though and this seems to be working for me so thought I would share.

Yup it is a very long and hard process to "re-learn" how to play without anchoring , it took me about a year to be able to play the same licks I could anchored , unanchored.

It takes a while , and alot of effort , but it is DEFINATELY worth it.

Goodluck ,

Alexander.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
Quote by AgentWiggles

No it doesn't. Your pinky doesn't do ANYTHING by itself. YOU have been telling it
to "make a break for the body of the guitar" for so long you're no longer aware
that you're even doing it. So, if you don't want it doing that any more, you use
the same process.

When I reworked my picking, I started by keeping my hand open, fingers out and
relaxed. I think it was a bit easier to keep them relaxed that way. Eventually
I moved to a loose curled fist. The thing to watch for there is not clenching it
tightly.
Quote by 20Tigers

Or do you get the dual action pick and finger action going?

this, i do this
As it's already been mentioned in this thread...lightly resting any part of the picking hand on the face or bridge, is not the same as anchoring the picking hand. Don't be afraid to find the position that is right (comfortable) for you, just make sure that it allows you to move freely across the strings and doesn't "lock" your hand in one place. If your pinky feels more comfortable resting against the face lightly, go for it and just be sure that it doesn't restrict your motion. You should be fine.

Don
Is having the flesh of your palm resting on the bridge to mute unwanted noise considered anchoring?

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by MulanoSG
Is having the flesh of your palm resting on the bridge to mute unwanted noise considered anchoring?

Not unless it forces you to keep your hand "fixed" or "planted" in that one spot.
The post that I have just a little way up on this page explains my own take on it. The term "anchor" is so misused in the guitar world. "Resting" is not technically the same as "Anchoring". Anchoring will inhibit free movement of the picking hand, lightly resting it will not for the most part.

Don
Quote by ChipShank
Not unless it forces you to keep your hand "fixed" or "planted" in that one spot.
The post that I have just a little way up on this page explains my own take on it. The term "anchor" is so misused in the guitar world. "Resting" is not technically the same as "Anchoring". Anchoring will inhibit free movement of the picking hand, lightly resting it will not for the most part.

Don

Really? Wow I seriously now have nearly everything with Paul Gilbert in regards to technique. I guess that there are worse people to sound like.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
I keep my hand open personally, and since I learned to stop anchoring my fingers on the guitar while picking my playing has really improved I think.
Down the hallway footsteps were comin' for the Jack of Hearts...
I usually keep the rest of my fingers lined up with my index, curled inwards. The bottom portion of my palm rests on the strings slightly to mute strings when necessary.