Well I'm looking for something that will give me a Guns N Roses feel yet when I want it to, it can be heavy metal. I have an Ibanez RG series Prestige guitar and soon getting a Epiphone Les Paul, if that info helps at all.

Also, my spending limit is nothing over 500. I might be asking for much, so I'm open to most regular brand suggestions.

Thanks
In that price range, i'd recommend a Peavey Valveking combo
Also, move this to Guitar Gear and Accessories
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
In that price range, i'd recommend a Peavey Valveking combo
Also, move this to Guitar Gear and Accessories

this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
*moved*
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
welcome.

new or used?
$500 for amp alone?
home or gig?
what do you have now again?

search gnr too bro

new.
yes.
home.
i have a line 6 spider, its a piece of ****.
well...at this price point the $500 - $600 range is that sweet spot for looking at used gear. Often they have been upgraded and you never know just what you may find on craigslist.com or ebay.

oooops, forgot to ask duh...

what music styles again? thoroughly (not just 'metal' or 'rock')
Slash uses Marshalls, maybe have a look for a used JCM. As everyone will probably tell you, DON'T, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, get an MG. AVTs also split a lot of opinions (I don't mind them, but everyone else seems to) so maybe steer clear from them also.

What about a Crate V series? They're sh*t cheap (I think it's $200 for a 50W) and they're tube. You can spend some of your savings on a pedal if you find the distortion isn't enough.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well...at this price point the $500 - $600 range is that sweet spot for looking at used gear. Often they have been upgraded and you never know just what you may find on craigslist.com or ebay.

oooops, forgot to ask duh...

what music styles again? thoroughly (not just 'metal' or 'rock')

Anything related to Metal or Rock...
311 is right, $500 is right where most decent amps are priced used. A $1000 new amp sells used for $500-$600. Why not get a used 5150 or Krank instead of an entry level amp?
Good amps are built like shick brickhouses.
The problem is you're looking for a decent amp to use at home, and decent amps tend to have wattages too high to be great for home practices, and unless you have an attenuator already, that really ****s the price range, because to get a good gnr sound you need power tube saturation.

15 Watt traynor (ycv20?) might be good if you need it new (i think it's a little out of price range), but used you can get a beast of an amp
Quote by pak1351
The problem is you're looking for a decent amp to use at home, and decent amps tend to have wattages too high to be great for home practices, and unless you have an attenuator already, that really ****s the price range, because to get a good gnr sound you need power tube saturation.

15 Watt traynor (ycv20?) might be good if you need it new (i think it's a little out of price range), but used you can get a beast of an amp

This is a valid line of thought. Frankly, a 5-15 watt valve amp is about all you want at this stage. A Valve Junior/Senior, a Blackheart Little Giant/Handsome Devil, Fender Blues Junior, Crate V18/V33, Peavey Valveking 112, Randal RG50TC...grab your RG, head down to Sam Ash or GC, and check out some amps.

Oh, PS, I don't think and Epi LP is a good idea at the moment. Pickups for the RG would be cheaper, and a better overall investment in your tone.
if you are stuck on new gear then I'll give you some suggestions but I have not played all of them.

also, 'anything related to metal' and 'wanting Slash's tone' makes it kinda hard at this range. Slash is not metal. Modern metal is hard to come by for a new tube amp. Modern meaning AX7, COB, Korn, Disturbed, etc.

I have a Valveking 112 and with an OD pedal and maybe an EQ or Speaker swap you can get close to modern but not not quite. It can do blues, GnR and Metallica type thrash metal. Pretty versatile. They are $400 new but a lot of folks don't care for this amp.

You might be able to find a new Bugera 333x, but I don't know it current sell price. It will do modern metal prolly better from what I hear.

B-52 gets some praise and the 112 is $550 I think.

If you don't care about modern metal and are more focused on GnR or classic rock then that opens things up to the Blackhearts, Epi's, Crates (huge sale on these right now), etc. Go to guitarcenter.com or musicians friend.com and search tube amps by price and then find your range.

if you can handle a hybrid amp then a Vox Valvetronix or Line 6 or Peavey Vypyr might do (backlogged till October on the hybrids).

there is other stuff too.

i still think Used gear is worth a look at sub $600. We see 5150s and Classic 30s below $600 all of the time for example. Sorry for long post. Later,

Edit: to The Spine Surfs comment - yes add the Randall in thar. And go play some stuff somewhere. Check your local Craigslist.com just for fun will ya?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 3, 2008,