I'm a guitar player who plays about 6hours a day or more, on average. Mostly acoustic. Anyway, regardless of my strings, I have to practically clean the strings off every day before I go to bed. The dirt is very very thick on it, and sometimes green of all colors. I often eat while playing but mostly snacks like Goldfish Crackers etc. Not really greasy stuff like Lays though. I take two showers a day and am almost never outside so I'm not dirty.

I don't get it. Its annoying and the strings sound like crap after a week or so of use. What are some things I can do to reduce dirt? I"ve tried washing my hands before playing and that didnt help one bit.
no idea maybe its the type of strings, wat type of material are the strings you usually get, and wat brand? i find ernie ball get dirty real quick though
not that any details matter: strings don't last forever. and you'll always get some cheese around the strings. laws of nature.
and yes, you should clean the dirt in order for the strings to sound good.
you could try dunlop 65 string cleaner too. it helps my strings last longer.

and dude, seriously, don't eat and play. that's just gross.
Stop fapping.
Jk, what they said.
And also ive heard some people sweat makes strings dirty and corrode faster.
So it may just be you =/
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
try switching strings, i use GHS bass boomers on my electric and they're dirty in a day or 2 whereas i use elixirs on my acoustic and i can keep them funk free for a week or more. i would like to point out that i usually play a couple hours a day and try to keep my hands clean, i don't eat and play and i do wipe my strings with wd40 (on a rag) after every jam.
Quote by LaGrange
And also ive heard some people sweat makes strings dirty and corrode faster.

this is the reason...
why dont you try switching the strings??
maybe your strings are too reactive to sweat..
Your hands especially excrete oil from the pores to keep them moisturized, but they always feel greasy. It's basically some sweat if you get sweaty hands, this oil, and any bacteria/snack residue left over.

It's a fact of life, you simply can't keep silver strings silver.
I've been through 4 or 5 different brands of strings, gauges, etc. None have worked. Maybe I'm just a dirty man... x.x...
Dude goldfish leave all kinds of gunk on your hands. Stop eating when you're playing and wash your hands first. Nasty...
wiping your strings like z4twenny says is a good way to keep them in shape. also washing your hands before playing and i like to go back and wash em again every half hour or so just to keep them oil free as possible. i think the grime on strings mostly comes from your natural body oils.. and food possibly :P
I spill enough beer on my strings that it washes the dirt off.

Seriously though that sounds strange man. I play hours a day and mine never get really bad. I cant imagine needed to clean them daily. Maybe like the above guys said its the strings change em to a differnt brand and see if it makes a differance. Or more likely its those delicious goldfish. Try just pouring them directly into your mouth from the bag.

How is 2 showers a day rediculous. I take one at 5:30 am before work to wake up and wash off the smell of sex and one sometime in the evening so I'm clean again to be in bed. Thats normal. If you only take one either you dont get laid or you dont work or your dirty.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by Peow
I'm a guitar player who plays about 6hours a day or more, on average. Mostly acoustic. Anyway, regardless of my strings, I have to practically clean the strings off every day before I go to bed. The dirt is very very thick on it, and sometimes green of all colors. I often eat while playing but mostly snacks like Goldfish Crackers etc. Not really greasy stuff like Lays though. I take two showers a day and am almost never outside so I'm not dirty.

I don't get it. Its annoying and the strings sound like crap after a week or so of use. What are some things I can do to reduce dirt? I"ve tried washing my hands before playing and that didnt help one bit.

Its dead skin and grime that mixes with moisture from your fingers. I find that the best solution for this is to get elixers

... seriously
^^ another one here .

d'addario = one day, one kill.
dean markley = pure shit
ernie ball = not good enough.
elixirs = the only strings worth it's cost. so far at least :P

and i'm neeevver gonna try another brand. i'm gonna stick to these.
Get some finger-ease. Its a spray lube (for guitar strings lol) and it cleans them up really well. Saves buying new strings all the time. My local guitar shop swears by it.