I looking for a new amp. I started looking at the Fender Bassman 150. Then I saw the price of it and the amount of watts. So I started looking around again and then I saw the Gallien-Krueger Backline 115 Combo and thought wow it's almost the same amount of watts and more maybe for almost $50.00 cheaper

My main question was is Gallien-Krueger a trusting brand like Fender? I have a feeling it is but I don't want to end up in a Behringer like situation.

thanks so much for your feedback
Quote by CurbstompBass
And Ashdown MAG combo is a great choice at that price range. About 300 watts with an extension cab. Maybe 180 or so without.

i went to go check out that amp and i couldn't find it on guitarcenter or samash.com

anyone got a link to a site with that amp?
Well, you can get this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-15180-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=485037

Thats the best choice IMHO. The only thing I can see wrong with that is if you want a fat, R'n'B type tone. For that, I would choose an Ampeg.

By the way, how are the quality on the lower priced Ampegs?
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
^ no thanks lol not into RnB

edit: the only thing is i also want an amp that kicks back so i can get my sound up and out
I for one, would go with an Ashdown. I own a GK Backline 112. They are good for practice amps and not much else.

The Ampeg lower end line are overrated. And I'm an Ampeg fan girl; I love the round sound quality of a classic Ampeg. However, their low end stuff is meh and are the quietest 100 - 250 W I've ever heard.
Quote by anarkee
I for one, would go with an Ashdown. I own a GK Backline 112. They are good for practice amps and not much else.

thats all i would use it for is practice. Maybe a jazz concert or a small gig but there is another bassist in each(yes the band i am in has 2 bassist).
The thing is if you have something over 150w and spend over 200 USD, it better be giggable quality in my book. I have a Ampeg B3158 and while its a 150w, it works in a smaller gig situation (esp. if my drummer uses pro mark hot rod sticks). I can't say that for the GK. Plus the overdrive is particularly useless on this amp; it sounds horrendous. Its better than my old Kustom BA low end amp, but that is not saying much.
get Acoustic or Ashdown. I always say it, but you know what? they're the best in that just louder than a practice amp situation.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i actually was really impressed yesterday when i heard the tone of a 115 ampeg combo....the price isn't ridiculous...and you shouldn't look at watts...find which tone suits your best playing style
Speaking about Ampegs, Is this ampeg any good? It's supposed to be a reissue of the old ampegs but are hybrid instead of all-tube. Will it get the signature Ampeg sound?
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by sammy8
i actually was really impressed yesterday when i heard the tone of a 115 ampeg combo....the price isn't ridiculous...and you shouldn't look at watts...find which tone suits your best playing style

ok maybe everyone can help me find that 'right' sound. I want like a warm boom sound. Not to tight of a sound.

I am comparing the ampeg ba115(i'm guessing the amp your talking about) and the fender rumble 100/210. Not a big fan of the rumble series though.
Quote by fury4string
ok maybe everyone can help me find that 'right' sound. I want like a warm boom sound. Not to tight of a sound.

I am comparing the ampeg ba115(i'm guessing the amp your talking about) and the fender rumble 100/210. Not a big fan of the rumble series though.
the amp i posted earlier in the thread is supposed to be a reissue of the old ampegs which gave a warm sound. The rumble series is okay, but isn't fantastic. I've only heard positve things about Fender's Bassman series. If I were you I'd just go to my local music store and try out different amps, regardless of brand, using your bass and find one that gives you the tone you want.

EDIT: Gallien-Krueger is very nice(There like the Mercedes of bass amps), but only in their higher end models. Their cheaper stuff is like Fender's Rumble Series;okay, but not fantastic. Also, Ashdown is known for it's warm tone.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by the humanity
get Acoustic or Ashdown. I always say it, but you know what? they're the best in that just louder than a practice amp situation.

both very good choices in my opinion... but i would go with an acoustic b200 or b100... or the gk backline 210
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Ive seen a few "Acoustic" amps floating around, but never paid much attention to them. What do you guys think about 'em? Off-topic, I found an old Ampeg stack in my school's band room. The cabinet said Bn115, and it was an all-tuber, but it struck me as odd, because I haven't found anything out on it, other than it sounds like a million-bucks.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by JobyByTheNight
Ive seen a few "Acoustic" amps floating around, but never paid much attention to them. What do you guys think about 'em? Off-topic, I found an old Ampeg stack in my school's band room. The cabinet said Bn115, and it was an all-tuber, but it struck me as odd, because I haven't found anything out on it, other than it sounds like a million-bucks.

acoustic is really good for the price. very wonderful.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
acoustic is really good for the price. very wonderful.

i got the b100 myself... no complaints besides not very much EQ

never buy a squier!
I'm thinking of the B200H, and the 4x10 for my next amp selection. Meh, I'm a little put off by the price, but I dunno.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by JobyByTheNight
I'm thinking of the B200H, and the 4x10 for my next amp selection. Meh, I'm a little put off by the price, but I dunno.

what's wrong with the price? too cheap?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Let's be honest though, humanity. Most of the time when a price is that low, it usually signals less than acceptable products. However, in Acoustics case, that is not the...um...case. I've heard nothing but good words about them and am hoping to try one out here soon.
they are really good amps... i love'em but, my favorite bass amp is the gk backline 210, which many people dispise

never buy a squier!
Quote by goest
Let's be honest though, humanity. Most of the time when a price is that low, it usually signals less than acceptable products. However, in Acoustics case, that is not the...um...case. I've heard nothing but good words about them and am hoping to try one out here soon.

I know. but if everyone is saying they're good...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard