So usually, i have my amp and myself positioned so that i'm more or less to the side, instead of directly infront of it. The other day i decided to move it so that i am right in front of it.

Now, the mids on the amp sound terrible, all spikey and not a good tone at all. If i turn down the mids to like 1 or 2, it mostly gets rid of the problem, but i usually like alot of mids when i play.

How can i fix this? Just to test my idea, i went back to the old position of the amp, and it sounded really good, but as soon as i moved it back, crappy mids again.

i have a Marshall valve state by the way.
They have pretty poor speakers don't they? That might have something to do with it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Prometheus02
So usually, i have my amp and myself positioned so that i'm more or less to the side, instead of directly infront of it. The other day i decided to move it so that i am right in front of it.

Now, the mids on the amp sound terrible, all spikey and not a good tone at all. If i turn down the mids to like 1 or 2, it mostly gets rid of the problem, but i usually like alot of mids when i play.

How can i fix this? Just to test my idea, i went back to the old position of the amp, and it sounded really good, but as soon as i moved it back, crappy mids again.

i have a Marshall valve state by the way.

new amp

/thread

ON TOPIC: try putting a pillow behind the speaker, like in the combo... it does wonders for spikyness, but only do it on a SS amp, tubes heat up too much
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Well mostly....your amp blows. But maybe turn your treble down? What is your treble set to? Plus it may sound good but youll get lost in the mix when playin in a band or live if you scoop your mids. Also elevating your amp i think removes bass? So if not already done have it completely flat on teh ground, but i think thats already done.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Quote by yocomobebes
Well mostly....your amp blows. But maybe turn your treble down? What is your treble set to? Plus it may sound good but youll get lost in the mix when playin in a band or live if you scoop your mids. Also elevating your amp i think removes bass? So if not already done have it completely flat on teh ground, but i think thats already done.

yeah, it's on the ground, treble was at 8, but turning it down makes it sound worse, but i can still move to the side and it sounds good, so i might try putting a pillow behind the speakers like someone else said.
Quote by Prometheus02
yeah, it's on the ground, treble was at 8, but turning it down makes it sound worse, but i can still move to the side and it sounds good, so i might try putting a pillow behind the speakers like someone else said.

*cough* me *cough*
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
*cough* me *cough*

yeah, i was going to credit someone for that, but i got to lazy to check.
Quote by Prometheus02
yeah, i was going to credit someone for that, but i got to lazy to check.

haha it's all good
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by al112987
What kind of speaker are you using?

I dunno exactly, it's what ever speaker that comes with a marshall 100 watt ss half stack.

I still find it weird that i can get a great tone from the side, but not the front.

Still going to try the pillow thing though.
turn the mids up... treble down.... or you could also try turning down the tone knob on your guitar... experiment.

If none of that works I recommend a new amp or speakers.
Quote by Prometheus02
I dunno exactly, it's what ever speaker that comes with a marshall 100 watt ss half stack.

I still find it weird that i can get a great tone from the side, but not the front.

Still going to try the pillow thing though.

Then they're most likely the ****tiest Celestions that the brand makes.

Words cannot describe how bad the speakers Marshall puts in their solid state amps are. (Probably a Celestion Rocket 50).

Replace that **** first and foremost before deeming your tone complete suckage.