Sorry for the long title, but thats basically what i'm trying to do. learn all teh notes on the fretboard, as i think it'll make theory easier to understand. I know how to do it, i was just wondering if anyone has some good tips on easy ways to remember it all. like, i can figure it out by going slow and saying them out loud, but when i'm in teh middle of playing, i don't have a clue what note each fret is, my mind can't process it quick enough, so i'm looking for some good ways to get it down.
learn the 5th and 6th strings and learn your octave shapes
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

umbrellacorp, you and i should form a searchbar-haters group

EDIT: to be on topic, just remember..EADGBe..from thick to thin, and the notes go:

A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#, Repeat.
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Last edited by sam_brault at Sep 2, 2008,
musictheory.net has a sick trainer that really helps. it might have a dash can't remember.
Quote by sam_brault
umbrellacorp, you and i should form a searchbar-haters group

EDIT: to be on topic, just remember..EADGBe..from thick to thin, and the notes go:

A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#, Repeat.

Its not all that easy though. Cause you have to remember enharmonics and everything.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Try findanote.com. My nephew put them on his guitar and they helped him alot. They can be taken off easy enough if you no longer need them.
Learn your note intervals, and just remember that the only half-steps are between B-C and E-F. Then spend some time learning the notes between the first fret and the octave (12th fret). After the octave, it just repeats all over again, so technically you only need to learn the first half of the fretboard. That's what's been working for me anyway.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I've done everything this said before, it's been 4 months, but everytime I want to find notes, I always have to start from the open string and start counting the intervals, like lets say I wanted to play B on the high E string, have to go "Hmm, 1-3-5-7, oh there" and I lose my train of thought by then if I was trying to understand a scale of some sort of intervals like 1,2,3b,4b,5,6,7 or whatever, took me about 10 minutes trying to backtrack from the open string trying to understand the pentatonic scale with the G-Bb-C-D-F (if im even right with that from memory) when I first learned it
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
My friend always told me that he learnt all the notes only because he has been playing for 12 years or so. He says he never took an effort to remember the notes by heart as such.

Should we wait till we progress on our own or is it better if we take a genuine attempt to KNOW the fretboard ?
Quote by chris.23
My friend always told me that he learnt all the notes only because he has been playing for 12 years or so. He says he never took an effort to remember the notes by heart as such.

Should we wait till we progress on our own or is it better if we take a genuine attempt to KNOW the fretboard ?

It's like anything else. Does a pro football quarterback just run plays until he can rattle em off, or does he sit long nights studying a playbook? Does an engineer just slap together bridges until they start holding weight, or does he study up on what makes a bridge work?

Sure, you can just play and hope you learn it without any effort, but you'll be far better at what you do if you put in the effort. That's the great thing about guitar, you get out of it exactly what you put in.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
The way I remembered is that from B-C, and E-F are the only transitions that have a half step in between them...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Start on the first string or the six string, cause they're the same, you'll only have to learn 5 strings after that
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by baylewis
Start on the first string or the six string, cause they're the same, you'll only have to learn 5 strings after that

4?
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
dude just remember the rule.

All notes are one step apart (two frets) except B to C and E to F which are one half step apart (one fret).