My friend and i have stated a band but we are unsure of how to get noticed or produced without people stealing songs we have written. We play regularly at our church and in front of people and have been told that we should make a cd ect. but again we dont want people stealing things weve written so if you can help my friend and i out by telling us how to go about this we would appreciate it. Thanks and if i posted this in the wrong section dont bitch about it just tell me if i did
if you just started a band dont worry about getting noticed go have fun playing clubs and bars and of course the regular party gigs for friends theres still alot of feeling out and discovering what kind of music you guys really want to play before you get "noticed" and yeah i agree with mullen, just go have fun
i don't know if you mean people will steal your song ideas, or if you mean you don't want people downloading your mp3's without paying you.

if you put something on a CD and give it to people, or sell it to them, it will eventually be available on the internet and people will steal it.

if you're worried about getting artistically ripped off, you just need to take some simple measures to copyright your songs.
go have fun.... (redundent) yeah you guys start kicking @$$ then you make a cd and if anyone steals your stuff sue them for everything they own
wow, you must have quite the messiah complex to belive people think all of your songs are worth stealing.
Just rock!
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
i better not buy a car, someone might steal it. THATS JUST LAME!
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Quote by JordantheAxe
no one will steal your songs.
/thread

this.

But seriously, I've never worried about anyone stealing my (band's) songs. That just gives me all the more pleasure of, like toshiro said, beating the **** outta them.
No-one will steal your songs unless they are a twat and will just put them on another myspace or another type of account
The most foolproof way is to formally copyright them. Contact your local copyright office in the country you are in.

Aside from that, you need to have a foolproof paper trail that connects certain pieces of music directly to you on specific dates. We haven't copyrighted our material formally (though legally, it is copyrighted at the moment it is conceived and committed to a fixed media), but we have quite a specific paper trail around a lot of our stuff - National Archives Canada; Sony media duplication with song list and titles; log sheets from commercial media (TV and radio have to compile these by law); listings with SOCAN and CMRRA, etc.

Keep in mind that these sources need to be un-tamperable, un-biased, and from outside third-party sources to have any credibility.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
thanks guys...i do play for fun and what i was talking about stealing of the songs...i know some people who gave demos to record companies and then a couple of weeks later the songs were used by an artist of that company without the permission of the original composer...we just dont want that to happen to us even if it is unlikely
@nate - Is that a fact or is that hearsay or simply urban legend? What record company?

Record companies are a lot of things, but they're not stupid. They know what they can get away with, and what they can't. They have entertainment lawyers on retainer as part of their staff. Unless they're a real bush-league record company who is hurting for songs for their artists (who in turn must be hurting in their own right if they're signed to a label without any songs), and by extension, the label themselves must be hurting enough to keep a festering sore of a band around with no material. Otherwise, they're way too smart to do something like that.

From a pure cost-to-return analysis, it is a dumb move. They could find some group of nobodies - you, me, the rest of us here) and offer them a small sum to outright buy the rights to one of our songs, or they could simply take an existing song that is good, licence it for less than 8 cents a copy and make everyone happy. Either way, that is cheaper than stealing some schmuck's song, and then having to spend countless hours of their lawyers' time (note the plural of lawyer, there....) fighting a case in court. Oh, sure, their high-priced entertainment lawyers might just win anyways because there is a reason why you pay for the expensive lawyers.... But even if they win, it would still cost them more money to use the song than by going through legit channels.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
@nate - Is that a fact or is that hearsay or simply urban legend? What record company?

I say we should get those 'Mythbusters' guys on TV to check it out.

And blow up a record company while they're at it.
Quote by Nates2rad
i do play for fun and what i was talking about stealing of the songs...i know some people who gave demos to record companies and then a couple of weeks later the songs were used by an artist of that company without the permission of the original composer..

im gonna have to call you on bullshit for that

most record companies wont even listen to unsolicited demos

and if they wanted your friends song so badly they would have just signed them than go through a huge conspiracy of stealing material for their own bands.

chill out and stop worrying about stuff like that and just make some music
Record companies can hire people to write them songs. Which will probably be better than anything you'll produce, and will have been written by people in touch with what's in demand.

If your songs are amazing, they'll sign you as a band. Because you might well write more great stuff and sell lots of CDs and merch and become an asset. They're not going to give it to another band, because that other band will only be able to keep going as long as the record company can steal it songs, and as pointed out above, it's probably easier to pay for them.

Odds are, too, that your songs are really not that impressive. Of course, you could be the new Beatles. But in that situation, you can write lots more songs and get signed without needing to panic about theft.
Y'know, a wise man once said;
'A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, but a happy man just takes a walk.'
(a cookie to the first person to tell me who said it)
It basicaly means don't worry about insignificant stuff that's extremely unlikely to ever happen because you'll just find yourself 'dodging bullets' that don't even exist for the rest of your life.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 6, 2008,
Of course, the happy man can simply go for a walk without dodging bullets because he has done everything right, and has no reason to have enemies who want to shoot him.

Somehow I don't think that was what you were getting at, but I just thought I'd present the rest of the picture.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Of course, the happy man can simply go for a walk without dodging bullets because he has done everything right, and has no reason to have enemies who want to shoot him.

Somehow I don't think that was what you were getting at, but I just thought I'd present the rest of the picture.

CT

Yeah, he can also go for a walk because he's just bought a bullet proof suit of armour, and he could be happy for no other reason than he's a complete bastard who just happens to be rich enough to be able to afford to buy a bullet proof suit of armour, which would also be nothing to do with the point I was making.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 6, 2008,
OK, it looks like no one's going for my cookie prize so I'll tell you anyway. The line, 'A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk' is from an Eels song called 'P.S. You Rock My World'
Possibly not one of the greatest philosophers ever, but that line is as true now as it's ever been.
Eels... did they do that "Got you where I want you" song? Good tune.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Eels... did they do that "Got you where I want you" song? Good tune.

CT

I think that was The Flys.

I think the Eels biggest hit was probably "Novocaine for the Soul" if you've ever heard that.
If your not already familiar with them Chris, I strongly advise you to check 'em out, especialy the first three albums 'Beautiful Freak' 'Electro-Shock Blues' and 'Daisies of the Galaxy'

'Electro-Shock Blues' is an incredible album in particular, the guy behind the band, known as 'E', experienced a difficult time in his personal life after the success of 'Beautiful Freak.' Several friends died, his sister committed suicide, and his mother was diagnosed with cancer. These events inspired him to write Electro-Shock Blues, which is just one huge roller coaster of emotions lovingly put to music. The first time I heard it, I assumed it was a concept album about someone having a complete mental and nervous breakdown.
I know it sounds morbid, and I suppose much of it is, but it's still sheer genius.

I have a feeling you'll really like them, I've found that most studio savvy guys like yourself do for some reason.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 12, 2008,
Ah, yes... the Flies.

Thanks for the tip on the Eels. I will certainly have to check them out.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Ah, yes... the Flies.

No, the 'Flys' who were a 90s American post-grunge group. The 'Flies' were a 60s Australian band.
Quote by axemanchris

Thanks for the tip on the Eels. I will certainly have to check them out.

CT

Anytime bud.
Can you do me a favour? If you do check 'em out, and if you like 'em, can you tell me why you like 'em because I'm interested as to what studio experienced guys in particular like about 'em. Is it the recording techniques used? The mix? The instruments used? Or possibly just the songwriting?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
No, the 'Flys' who were a 90s American post-grunge group. The 'Flies' were a 60s Australian band.

Now THERE'S a keeper for the 'some other dude has the same band name as we do' threads that keep coming up!

Quote by SlackerBabbath

Anytime bud.
Can you do me a favour? If you do check 'em out, and if you like 'em, can you tell me why you like 'em because I'm interested as to what studio experienced guys in particular like about 'em. Is it the recording techniques used? The mix? The instruments used? Or possibly just the songwriting?

Sure.

CT

Quote by AwesomeDrummer
well that was nice.

Give them some space, old folks tend to ramble off in the opposite direction at any given moment.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Give them some space, old folks tend to ramble off in the opposite direction at any given moment.

Hey kid, you're not too old to become a castrati y'know.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 13, 2008,
OMG!

CT