A resistor blew in my C30 recently so I took it to a tech. He replaced the resistor, cleaned some things up, ripped me off etc.

Now to get the thing to about bedroom level volume I have to crank it up to 5. Before I only had to put it at about 2.

I recently replaced the tubes.

Anyone know what the problem is?

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Did you change all the tubes. Does the amp sound different other than not being as loud? Does it sound dull or lifeless?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I changed all the tubes. And it sounds the same, just a lot quieter.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
i think buddy at the guitar shop messed with your amp so you go back and pay him more $$
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
It might be a bad solder joint.

What does it sound like when you crank it? Does it break up sooner?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by danyellenik
i think buddy at the guitar shop messed with your amp so you go back and pay him more $$

It's possible. He said it would be about $80 for him to find the problem and fix it. I went to pick it up and he said it was gonna be $140. He went and did extra stuff without telling me to bump the price up.

Edit: ^It doesn't break up any sooner. If it did I would be psyched about it, not bummed.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
f that

what did he do when he 'cleaned it up' exactly?

all tubes replaced right...huh. Same brand etc?

any thing else change in your environment.

(i ask because i've asked that before and ppl have said things like 'yeah we had some bad lightning the other night' or 'my sister turned it on and left it on all day'...etc
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
f that

what did he do when he 'cleaned it up' exactly?

all tubes replaced right...huh. Same brand etc?

any thing else change in your environment.

(i ask because i've asked that before and ppl have said things like 'yeah we had some bad lightning the other night' or 'my sister turned it on and left it on all day'...etc

He told me he cleaned the pots, checked the joints... Apparently there was a loose washer floating around in there which he of course had to charge extra for taking out. I mean grabbing a washer is a big job.

It was all just bs that he could maybe warrant charging $20 extra for. I couldn't really argue with him since he already did the work and he's the only guy around here who'll work on amplifiers. He's not even that close. Plus I was just stoked I didn't have to play through my bass amp anymore.

EH powertubes. 1 Tung-sol preamp tube and 2 EH's.

Nothing has happened to it besides me dropping it down the stairs and lighting it on fire. (kidding of of course)

There's been no trauma or anything that I know of.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Sep 2, 2008,
well, always ask for an estimate and to call cell before new work/charges applied.

did he open the chassis?

who did the tubes?

i would go to craigslist for your area and place a 'Ad' for an amp tech. Someone that knows amps real well and see if you can't find someone who is established. You might be surprised. People looking for amps may see your 'Ad for Searching for' and may be able to help at a lower cost.

(I think I actually just thought of that as I've seen ppl do that on craigslist for other services [electrical that is])....might be hard for them to warrent work and such and you don't want to get screwed again obviosly. sorry for long post...bad habbit.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well, always ask for an estimate and to call cell before new work/charges applied.

did he open the chassis?

who did the tubes?

i would go to craigslist for your area and place a 'Ad' for an amp tech. Someone that knows amps real well and see if you can't find someone who is established. You might be surprised. People looking for amps may see your 'Ad for Searching for' and may be able to help at a lower cost.

(I think I actually just thought of that as I've seen ppl do that on craigslist)....might be hard for them to warrent work and such and you don't want to get screwed again obviosly. sorry for long post...bad habbit.

I told him to call me if it was gonna be more than the $80 that he estimated. He didn't.

He opened the chassis. I did the tubes... don't know how I would have gone about messing that up though...

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
1. He went past the $80 line so they (he) is wrong.
2. I'm past my limit on your situation and I've seen you post before so maybe check in Peavey Classic 30 Your Last Amp thread too.

would the EH's make it softer as opposed to say JJ's?

what was in there before? How much 'softer' is it? Can you describe it?
Did the tech give you an invoice of some sort before doing the labor?

btw what shop or tech was this? sounds like I might want to put them on my list of shops to avoid. You can pm me if you don't wanna put their name out there.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Sep 3, 2008,