Im in a guitar course at my highschool, and I already play guitar. (electric.) i took this course for more music credits and to get some more technique.

We're using Nylon strings. Basically the low 3ish strings are what looks like some kind of metal (sorry for not knowing the terms) and the high 3 strings look like plastic.
My friends accoustic has 'metal' strings.

Are nylon strings normal? cheap? beginners? I've just never seen them.
They're for classical guitar. I don't think they would work on a regular acoustic since there wouldn't be enough tension on the neck.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
it's a classical guitar, and no, they're not cheap they can be thousands of dollars.

ALL 6 STRINGS ARE NYLON!!!! the top 3 (closest to your face) have a metal winding around the nylon core so they sound different, and the bottom 3 (floor 3) are just straight nylon.

all classical guitars have them, they sound MUCH warmer, pink floyd used them a lot i believe
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Oh okay thank you! I wasn't aware of the difference between classical guitars and accoustic guitars.
Can accoustic songs be played on classical? I think they can.. but what I mean is can they be played well...

Nylon strings are thousands of dollars?!?!?! What! hahaha.
They're just a different sound, though each guitar lends itself to different playing styles there's no reason you couldn't play flamenco on a steel string or country on a classical guitar.
Quote by Moolah!
Oh okay thank you! I wasn't aware of the difference between classical guitars and accoustic guitars.
Can accoustic songs be played on classical? I think they can.. but what I mean is can they be played well...

Nylon strings are thousands of dollars?!?!?! What! hahaha.

can heavy metal be played on an acoustic? yes.
acoustic stuff be played on electric? yes
Anything for guitar can be played on a different style of guitar, period.

Classical guitar's just sound warmer than a steel string acoustic, not as bright and crisp sounding. I kind of regret selling mine sometimes
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Kevin Saale
They're just a different sound, though each guitar lends itself to different playing styles there's no reason you couldn't play flamenco on a steel string or country on a classical guitar.

gtfo you keep saying the same stuff as i do, just less in-depth. RIGHT before i post mine
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
THanks again. I may be recording (just for fun) with this classical guitar, becuase mine is only electric.

We're not able to use pics.. is this because he wants us to learn right hand picking, or will it damage the guitar/strings
Quote by Moolah!
THanks again. I may be recording (just for fun) with this classical guitar, becuase mine is only electric.

We're not able to use pics.. is this because he wants us to learn right hand picking, or will it damage the guitar/strings

a picks fine for classical guitars, it could damage the finish as they don't usually put pickguards on it(not to mention the woods they use are usually softer), but it wont hurt the strings
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
^It has do with the different tone you can get. I know a lot of classical guy grow there finger nails on their right hand long to catch the strings and get a different tone from what they'd get if they used the pad of their finger.
Thanks guys! I am no longer afraid to use a pick at home on it (since I don't hit the guitar when i strum..) , and I am not embarrassed to be seen with nylon strings

Thanks a lot. I am also glad to know that I can play acoustic songs on a classical guitar

Thanks a lot!
And thanks for the speedy replies.
Last edited by Moolah! at Sep 2, 2008,
Classical guitars are piss cheap - good ones are more expensive than any other guitar you've seen.

Don't put nylon strings on a steel string acoustic. Won't have enough tension, and will sound stupid.

And more importantly - NEVER EVER try to put steel strings on a classical guitar. If you really are stupid enough to try it, make sure it's only a 100 dollar peice of crap you won't cry over when it gets ripped in half when you try to wind up the tension.