Hello all,

I recently bought a Takamine GS330S and it's gotten me interested in accustics. Can you suggest some lower priced, all solid wood, accustics (preferrably one voiced different from the GS330S)?

Thanks!
well do you want a high end guitar? if so then go for taylors or martins. ones bright and ones warm. larrivee is also a good brand to look at.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by about
well do you want a high end guitar? if so then go for taylors or martins. ones bright and ones warm. larrivee is also a good brand to look at.

well he said lower priced.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
well he said lower priced.

his sentence can be interpreted two ways. one, the way you thought of it. the second way meaning that he would like some relatively cheap all solid wood guitars.

anyway... if you've only recently gotten into acoustic guitars then i would probably just stick with the takamine for now and then save up for a real good solid wood guitar in the future. it's not good to cheap out on an investment such as a solid wood guitar. your tak is by no means a bad guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
'Cheap' new solid wood guitar? A bit of an oxymoron. Would you like a 'cheap' new Rolls Royce to go with that?
Last edited by Akabilk at Sep 3, 2008,
Epiphone Masterbilt are awesome! I love mine, and its all solid woods...they are pretty low priced too.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by Akabilk
'Cheap' new solid wood guitar? A bit of an oxymoron. Would you like a 'cheap' new Rolls Royce to go with that?

I see what you're getting at, but for clarification there are some cheap solid wood guitars, such as some Seagulls and the Epiphone Masterbilts.

But yes, its not worth upgrading your takamine so soon. Its plenty of guitar as a beginner, and, like captivate said, a high end acoustic is nothing to skimp on.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M
Ibanez GAX-70
Crate V-18 112
BYOC Overdrive TS808 Clone
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I think the solid wood Seagulls are great. Especially the one with Cedar wood top. Loverly warmish sound and very nicely built too. Spruce is just too bright for me unless it's at least 20yrs. old. Just my personal opinion though.
Last edited by Akabilk at Sep 3, 2008,
Check out the Guild GAD series. Though I might be biased, they truly are amazing for the price. They look great in my opinon too! ; ]
Guild GAD-40C w/ PWM pickup
Martin 000-16GT
Washburn D10s-12
Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Schecter C-1+ (For SALE!)
Epiphone G-400 Ltd. w/ EMG's
takamine eg544sc cedar top koa sides and beautiful sound and a good onboard tuner
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Masterbilt for sub $600, GAD for sub $1000; absolutely no competition in quality and specifications.
If you want a 'cheap' solid wood guitar, stay away from the major brands where you will be paying heaps for their name, advertising and promotional expenses.
ALL solid wood? easy, washburn. looking at about 300 bucks dont think you can beat that.
Quote by captivate
his sentence can be interpreted two ways. one, the way you thought of it. the second way meaning that he would like some relatively cheap all solid wood guitars.

anyway... if you've only recently gotten into acoustic guitars then i would probably just stick with the takamine for now and then save up for a real good solid wood guitar in the future. it's not good to cheap out on an investment such as a solid wood guitar. your tak is by no means a bad guitar.

Agree 100%
I felt the same way as you.
I really got into guitars in the beginning (still am).
I started with a Breedlove Atlas, which sounded great and still does. Then I got a Masterbilt AJ 500R, which also sounds great.
Looking back, I would probably skip the Masterbilt and save for a higher end Martin, like a HD28v.
That being said, I still play both of them everyday, but I would probably enjoy a nice HD28 more !

So, learn from me and play the heck out of your Tak, and wait for a higher end all solid guitar.
Blueridge BR-140 Great guitar for the money. Equivalent of the Martin D-18 and probably better
Sorry to bring this one back, thanks for all the thoughts up until now.

Here's where I stand. I had a chance to try out a Ephiphone Masterbuilt (Don't recall the model but it was priced at $500). I really liked it, plus the fact that it's all solid wood means that will last longer and age well (so I've read). I'm thinking of selling my Tak and buying one.

It's hard for me to really compare the two sounds. Would the Masterbuilt be a significant step up (soundwise)? Will it really age better and last longer?

I don't really plan to ever buy a $1K accoustic, I prefer electric but I do enjoy the accoustic now and then and it has helped strengthen my fretting. I understand the logic of saving for a much better guitar but that doesn't really apply here. Bottom line, should I stick with the Tak or go for the Epi?

Thanks!
Quote by Classified00
Sorry to bring this one back, thanks for all the thoughts up until now.

Here's where I stand. I had a chance to try out a Ephiphone Masterbuilt (Don't recall the model but it was priced at $500). I really liked it, plus the fact that it's all solid wood means that will last longer and age well (so I've read). I'm thinking of selling my Tak and buying one.

It's hard for me to really compare the two sounds. Would the Masterbuilt be a significant step up (soundwise)? Will it really age better and last longer?

I don't really plan to ever buy a $1K accoustic, I prefer electric but I do enjoy the accoustic now and then and it has helped strengthen my fretting. I understand the logic of saving for a much better guitar but that doesn't really apply here. Bottom line, should I stick with the Tak or go for the Epi?

Thanks!

It will definitely age. It takes quite a few years to get a really good aged guitar. Aging speed depends on how often you play your guitar. Cedar ages faster than spruce, but less. Spruce, if played very often, will age to almost its full extent in about 5 years, give or take.

Any solid wood body is definitely a step up from a solid top acoustic. It has more potential for the future. I would personally just get the epi because I just love the way the epi growls(or at least the one I played had quite a nice mid-end growl).
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-D160-Solid-SpruceMahogany-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=512725

I would look at these ones by Silvercreek. I bought one over the summer and the finish on them is very nice and it sounds really good.

Im not sure how well it'll hold up since i've only had it a couple of months, but I really like it a lot right now.

I was surprised that it looked much nicer than the pictures convey.
TS, I'm selling my GAD 50 for under $500 (shipped). Depending on where you live, it may be less too. PM me or respond in the thread I made for it. There's a link in my sig.

All that aside though, I will never go back to laminate back/sides. The first time I played an expensive Taylor/Martin at GC I wasn't that thrilled. Then again I was only playing it for a couple of minutes. After making the move to invest in a solid wood guitar, I realized what a huge difference there is. You really have to sit with a guitar for a couple hours to enjoy the difference. It's kind of hard to put into words, really.

Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
I've played a couple blueridges and they seemed to be a pretty good deal
Quote by IamJonsCranium
go to the Godin website. any of their guitars are very good. they have a few brands

Agree. I just bought a Simon and Patrick and I couldn't be happier with it.