Ok, as I said a few days ago, I got a new MIM Stratocaster, and I think I should get it set up. It rattles in a few spots and the frets are a bit rough.

How should I find a good person to get it set up? I dont want to spend more than $30, but I dont want it broken. How do I know they wont completely screw up my guitar?
Umm if you take guitar lessons then ask your instructor where he/she gets it done, thats how I found out about the place I use.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I dont take any lessons. Im self taught, and it doesnt seem like a very good decision.
My local Fender dealer will do it for $30, but what if he ruins my guitar!
Ummm, I don't know, you could always just go there and take a chance, or ask some people who you know play guitar where they get theirs set up.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Yeah, I know.
I bought it on Musiciansfriend, because my local dealer didnt have any maple fretboards
Take it to Guitar Center they should do it for free there, OR you can learn how to do it yourself. IT really isnt that hard to do, it just takes patience.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Cost me $120 from a local luthier.
Best thing I did for my guitar though.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
this is a tricky one, and i sympathise. there are too many music shops out there where some kid from behind the sales counter will also be the one to tinker about with your pride and joy when you take it in for a set up.

get some recommendations from other guitarists in your area. make sure that where you take it they have a proper workshop and also employ a qualified guitar technician. i guess i am lucky where i live because everyone knows that there is only one good place in town for a set up.

price wise - you only get what you pay for. a good tech will spend maybe an hour doing a basic setup, fret dress will probably take longer. figure out what skilled labour rates are in your area and work it out, here in UK $30 wouldn't go very far.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
man i would go and just find the guy you feel confedent with most places will do it right in front of you and charge you close to nothing or nothing at all and yea if you got a guitar center in your area they will either do it for free or tell you of the best place to do it and 9 times out of 10 they will do it for free just to get you to come back and get something like a pickup or larger service done
Quote by AlskiOverload
I dont take any lessons. Im self taught, and it doesnt seem like a very good decision.
My local Fender dealer will do it for $30, but what if he ruins my guitar!

What are you retarded? He;s a fender dealer, he is licensed to do this shit. If he messes it up it's under warranty.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.