Hi,
I use my pinky head for hammering on sometimes, but mainly for some reason I now use a bit below the head of the pinky. I think this is a bad habit.
Is it a bad habit? Will it inhibit me from making hammer on's/playing legato+sweeping?

Basically, should the string be hit with the very tip of your finger, or is it okay to use *a little* of the bottom underside of the pinky when playing?
Thanks-- just trying to prevent a bad habit from forming early if it is one.
: )
dude, if thats how you play the guitar then thats how you play the guitar. so many people do so many things differently. musicians that become famous dont always have fantastic technique. maybe the way you play, even if some consider it a bad habit, makes your music unique. dont worry about it kid
Quote by cpick2014
dude, if thats how you play the guitar then thats how you play the guitar. so many people do so many things differently. musicians that become famous dont always have fantastic technique. maybe the way you play, even if some consider it a bad habit, makes your music unique. dont worry about it kid

I know that's good and all, but I feel that it might be preventing me from hammering on, since when I try hammering on after a sweep/arpeggio, it comes out very faint/wrong on the amp.
: )
Quote by cpick2014

I'm sorry if that's your excuse for why you suck.

TS, it's best to use the tip, as that part is harder, and better lets the weight of the arm and finger do the work instead of muscle. I suggest you read these posts:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632101&highlight=legato
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7376885&postcount=26
Basically, yeah, the tip is better, though it's not absolutely necessary for the pinky to be coming down on the string at perfectly 90 degrees to the fretboard. But it should definately be biased towards a downward movement with a lot more tip than underside.
well

youre suposed to only finger using the tip if every finger, but electric i think you wont have any issues with that anyway
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---