Well I've played guitar for awhile, and I really want to learn a new instrument. Right now I'm leaning towards a violin, and a little towards piano/keyboard. What do you guys think? Please provide negatives/positives if you can.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
theremin

i will marry you if you do

and report you if you dont
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Violin, THEN Piano.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

well I tried learning a lot of instruments, and of course after guitar I recomend Bass, drums, Piano/Keyboards, banjo, Violin, then theremin.
leRn 2 plaiz teh sURch bARR!! ololololololololololol

I'd say piano. But if not, violin. Both are amazing.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
So you're down to violin and piano?
I'd say violin looks like a lot of fun. I mean, just looking at the fingerwork that guys like Alexander Markov do makes it look like a tonne of fun.

On the other hand...

Violin also looks like it could be mad wickied hard if you aren't intrinsically good at it, or haven't played for a fair amount of time.

Piano looks to be easier, as well as possibly more practical for you as a musician. On the flipside, a fair deal of people play piano adn I personally don't think it looks as fun as violin.

Of course, the middle ground here is a hurdy gurdy.

Keep in mind that I don't play any of these though.
My first recommendation would be piano/keyboard for the following reasons:

Knowing your way around a keyboard translates well to numerous other instruments, like xylophones, marimbas, and general pitched percussion instruments, since they all use the same basic note layout. I.e., if you can play a tune on a piano, it's pretty easy to play the same tune on a vibraphone.

Knowing the piano (at least in my case) makes it much easier to understand music theory, since all the notes are easier to visualize in a straight-line keyboard format, and it will probably help your music reading ability as well.

A good electronic keyboard can be used to perform and record other instruments, like orchestral strings, brass, woodwinds, exotic percussion, synths and pads, etc. It's not a perfect substitute for most instruments, but it can open up a huge range of possibilities.

Finger strength and dexterity benefit hugely from a piano or weighted keyboard.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by Sir Anonymous
So you're down to violin and piano?
I'd say violin looks like a lot of fun. I mean, just looking at the fingerwork that guys like Alexander Markov do makes it look like a tonne of fun.

On the other hand...

Violin also looks like it could be mad wickied hard if you aren't intrinsically good at it, or haven't played for a fair amount of time.

Piano looks to be easier, as well as possibly more practical for you as a musician. On the flipside, a fair deal of people play piano adn I personally don't think it looks as fun as violin.

Of course, the middle ground here is a hurdy gurdy.

Keep in mind that I don't play any of these though.

I like the sound of a violin, but it seems like a really uncomfortable instrument to play, having it all jammed up on your neck. I'd go with a cello if you have the cash.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Quote by iceman_8319
I like the sound of a violin, but it seems like a really uncomfortable instrument to play, having it all jammed up on your neck. I'd go with a cello if you have the cash.

I agree with cello, then you can cover apocalyptica stuff! But i think keyboard would be a better choice because it helps you understand theory easier, which also increases your skill as a guitarist. I dont know much about violin though so i can help too much there..
We walked into the night

Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed

Is for you?
Quote by iceman_8319

I don't think that would be a problem :P Thank you Sir Anonymous for your opinions.

I think I may go with violin for a few reasons. I know a ton of people who are just amazing at piano, so learning it from scratch is going to be hard, always comparing myself to them and whatnot. I also like how a violin is easily transportable, like I could bring it camping or whatever and jam with some friends. And I've heard some GREAT songs with violin in them... songs from Sting, and even rabidguitarist.

So yea, I think I'll go with violin (and no I don't have the money for a cello )
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||