So, who are our generation's best folk artists and songwriters?

The only one I can really think of is Sam Beam of Iron & Wine.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Personally, I'm gonna go with Conor Oberst.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Conor is a very gifted songwriter, but I'm not sure he is the best. I love some of his songs, and can't stand others.

I also forgot about Sufjan Stevens. His album Seven Swans is some of the best folk songwriting I've ever heard.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Well you mentioned Dylan and Young...nobody liked all of their songs, everything is so different. Same thing with Conor. There's also Elliot Smith, can't forget about him.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Well you mentioned Dylan and Young...nobody liked all of their songs, everything is so different. Same thing with Conor. There's also Elliot Smith, can't forget about him.

yeah, I guess you're right.

How in the hell could I forget about Elliot Smith!?

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
yeah, I guess you're right.

How in the hell could I forget about Elliot Smith!?

it happens with dead people

/terribly mean joke

i'll just agree with sufjan stevens, he's just too creative
The Tallest Man On Earth (or Niclas Stenholm)?

Give him a couple of years
Beck could be considered but his style is to out there, but I do hear Dylan influences.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
jack white has some really heavy guitar stuff but he has some really nice folk-type stuff to so i'd have to go with him *engages flame shield*
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by A Rolling Stone
jack white has some really heavy guitar stuff but he has some really nice folk-type stuff to so i'd have to go with him *engages flame shield*

I agree, some of the stuff on the new Raconteurs album is pretty folky.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. Not all of his stuff is folk, but alot of it sounds like it. Especially Lightbulb Sun.
Ben Harper. Or maybe Derek Trucks.
Drake Bell.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Last edited by RHCP94 at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
Ben Harper. Or maybe Derek Trucks.

Derek Trucks? Am I missing something? Last time I checked, he doesn't sing or write lyrics...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Personally, I'm gonna go with Conor Oberst.

This.

Absolute brilliance.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by batalheiro
Ben Harper.

Great choice, he's awesome.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
beck is more generation x then us so the closest thing for "our generation" ( i'm thinking like people in their late teens early 20's right now is definantly conor oberst. not to say that hes really on par with dylan but he's all we got.
Quote by Sid McCall
Derek Trucks? Am I missing something? Last time I checked, he doesn't sing or write lyrics...

He writes lyrics, but I was alluding to his broad range of folky stuff.

He's really unique, though, as is Ben Harper. I don't like calling an artist "This generation's whatever' because it takes away from the nature of the artist himself.

But Ben Harper and Derek Trucks are by far this generation's greatest folk artists.
Elliott Smith, in his early days anyway. He went all Beatle crazy from XO on, which isn't a bad thing.
How about Will Sheff or Jeff Mangum then. They write wonderful and lush stories.

Quote by uhh_me?
Will Oldham.

Is he a grower? I just got I See a Darkness, and it's nice enough, but I'm really not hearing anything special right off the bat.
grower is probably a pretty good way to describe him. check out some of the things he released as Palace and the newest album, Lie Down in the Light.
Seeing as I have barely heard of anybody in this thread other than Ben Harper and Jack White, I'm going to say none. There hasn't been an artist with the same impact or meaning to such a mass group of people as Bob Dylan or Neil Young. Hell, Bob Dylan and Neil Young mean more to this generation than any contemporary folkie or rock activist or whatever. There will most likely never be anybody in their league.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
I don't like Ben Harper very much.

MY vote goes for Oberst and maybe Jack White
The medium is the message!