I hear these words often..."mids". These amps have "fat midrange sound" as well as other stuff like "upper mids", scoop the mids.

I might have realized it but I don't know.

Explain this whole midrange thing and what it does to sound when you lower or raise the "middle" knob.
"(Monster cable)....oh they're durable. You can
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Well mids refer to a frequency range which is adjustable with the "mid" knob on your amp. The "low" or "bass" knob will boost or cut the low range frequencies and the "high" or "treble" knob will boost or cut the high range frequencies - and, you guessed it, the "mid" knob will boost or cut the mid range frequencies, which are the ones that fall between the low and the high. I don't know the exact frequencies in Hz or anything so I can't go into ultra specific detail with that explanation but I think that will give you a general idea.

Now when people are talking about scooped mids it basically means that the mid range frequencies have been cut; that is, they have been made to be less audible to the listener.

Some speakers/amps/pickups/effects have a mid range voicing - which means that they naturally have a boosted mid range frequency response without adding any mids via an EQ knob; while others naturally cut the mid range frequencies without actually taking any mids away via an EQ knob.

I hope that wasn't too confusing for you - I tried to keep it as simple as possible while still leaving a technical aspect to it.

Feel free to correct anything that I may be incorrect (its 1am here and I'm a bit tired so I'm not thinking clearly) or feel free to expand on anything that may need further detail!
Quote by Irocknroll1990
I hear these words often..."mids". These amps have "fat midrange sound" as well as other stuff like "upper mids", scoop the mids.

I might have realized it but I don't know.

Explain this whole midrange thing and what it does to sound when you lower or raise the "middle" knob.

Just play your guitar and mess around with the middle knob - what's the point of asking what it will sound like when you can find out for yourself?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com