Well I’ve just today joined the ranks of bass owners and began my journey into the deeper side =)

I went out at lunch and bought myself an Ibanez GSR200 to begin learning. Unfortunately the budget didn’t extend to getting an amp today but I didn’t want to put off getting the guitar until I could afford both.

In the mean time I’ll be playing it into a set of headphones through my guitars Digitech RP50 effects pedal (by passing effects). Less than ideal I know but, it’ll allow me to get started playing at least and it’s only a stopgap solution for the next week or two until I can test and purchase an amp.
Welcome, brother. May we offer you some e-Cookies? Perhaps a drink from Tam's bar?
oh dude, thats awesome
stick with it, its one of the best things you can do my friend

good luck, and enjoy

Sanity is not statistical
enjoy it, mate
Quote by zapatista89
you know the music from zelda that plays when you open a chest? that played in my head reading that headline.
Time to improve your fingering.

lololol

No, but fo' real. Cool. You can find pretty cheap temporary amps in pawn shops and the like, that would do until you can get something a wee bit better.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
What a coincidence, my GSR200 came today too! Mines got the Phat boost & just about blows my piddley 15W amp!
Quote by goest
Welcome, brother. May we offer you some e-Cookies? Perhaps a drink from Tam's bar?

Dude, Tam's bar is Tam's bar, you dont go ofering people drinks out of it without her permision. Get your own bar, jeeez.

Oh, and congrats on joining the ranks of the humble bassist.
Quote by mwhan2209
Jesus Paul Jones and John Bonham.

What? I don't see a mistake in that sentence.
I may not offer you a drink from Tam's bar. but I may offer you this granola bar.
good luck. and remember, when you got the dough, get a case or gig bag.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I may not offer you a drink from Tam's bar. but I may offer you this granola bar.
good luck. and remember, when you got the dough, get a case or gig bag.

Got them to throw a whole heap of bits and pieces (including a gig bag) in when I bought it to sweeten the deal =)

Only a few days in but I gotta say, I'm having a ball. I'm still really sloppy and buzzy but it's fun trying to play some of the lines from my favourite songs
*opens up cabinet, gives TS a beer*

Hi I'm Tam aka anarkee, one of the three moderators of this blessed forum. Ben (Deliriumbassist) and Orlando (FbSa) are the other two.

Welcome to bass and the bass forum. You have picked up the most amazing instrument on the face of the earth bar none, and have joined the best group of irregulars on a forum that ever existed.

A few orientation words and then you can off and have your brew. Read the FAQ at the top of the forum along with the Songs to learn thread. Both are incredibly useful when you are starting out. And for my sanity and your sake, read the forum rules.

While there are similarities between guitar and bass, you need to treat your new instrument as a completely different beast. Don't skip your basics; bass =/= a guitar with less strings. You are now the awesome bridge between the drummer and the rest of the band, the engine that makes the car move, the glorious child of the melodic and the rhythmic.

Any questions? Post back here. We're here to help. And when you have a moment fill out the bass quiz found here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842637

Cheers!
Thanks for the brew and the welcome Tam,

I've read the FAQ and the Songs stickies and they've been great value in helping me select and plan my equipment and finding some great songs with easy bass lines to start practicing with.

I've gone back to square one with my approach to the bass will build from scratch as you've suggested. I never really subscribed to the whole less strings must be easier philosophy.

And rest easy, I've been around long enough that I've developed the rare skill of being able to converse on the internet without being a complete tool.
you sound ready to do some major grooving man.

for some god laughs, may I suggest learning happy birthday? a fun finger excercise. and the one song you can play anywhere and receive major props for.

and also, learn everything, play everything, and do anything. except, of course, constant root notes.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
you sound ready to do some major grooving man.

for some god laughs, may I suggest learning happy birthday? a fun finger excercise. and the one song you can play anywhere and receive major props for.

and also, learn everything, play everything, and do anything. except, of course, constant root notes.

The laughs will indeed be godly.
lol. typo.

I'll leave it, it's funny.

I mean good.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Welcome dude

new bassists are always good, since we're pretty important to a band

(you ever heard/seen bands without a bassist? White stripes excluded, they suck)

hope you grow to love and cherish this instrument, and more importantly have a whale of a time playing it!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
you ever heard/seen bands without a bassist? They suck

Fixed
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Well I couldn't stand playing into my headphones for more than a few days so I went out today and got myself a Rumble 15. It's not the best amp in the world I know, but it's good enough to keep me going until I've 'found myself' as a bassist and gotten good enough to earned a real nice amp.

It's only been a few days yet, but I think I kinda feel a connection with the bass, something about it just 'speak to me' ya know?

Bulls on Parade is the first song in my repertoire along with intro from Miss Murder and Come As You Are =)
the first bass does that with you. my Schecter sounds nicer, feels about the same to me, but I still love my overlight, one pickup not working Ibanez.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Those are all great songs to start with.

And yeah, I felt that too. I'd only had the bass for a couple days and yet it seemed like I'd had it forever. It calls to me, now...*runs off at signs of bass sense tingling*
Bass: More addictive than heroin, better than sex!!

so says I at any rate, many times Ive been late to places cuz just ahd to play "one more groove" which usually ends up as an hour long play about.
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"